Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Join fellow pilots on the largest DJI community and remove Google ads.

Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Shrimpfarmer, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Shrimpfarmer

Nice to see we will be getting some competition soon.

2. Bresson

Very nice gimbal. Hope the final product would enable the use of the lens adapter. :cool:

3. Pull_Up

4. arinvideo

One of my worries as well! hope that darn adapter becomes available soon so he can get his hands on them.

5. gpauk

Looking at his cad drawing, they could easily add their own adapter... Probably cheaper than dji too......

6. urgno

this design has a small flaw ... you will not be able to use the filter mount for vision :roll:
    [​IMG]

I wonder why is not possible to make a gimbal that attach on the standard camera mount ...

7. Pull_Up

I've just seen on their website that they offer one of their other gimbals as a kit build at about $100 discount... If they could offer a discount for a kit on this, then that's getting very, very tempting (still need to factor in shipping, UK VAT @20% and import duty, though, calm yourself).

The question that needs to be answered about both the third-party gimbals, though, is how does having a brushless motor next to one of the wifi antennas on the camera affect range?

8. Studiowise

I remember seeing in a previous correspondence from them that they indicated that they would be modifying their design as soon as they could get their hands on a filter holder from dji (them and the rest of us)

9. Studiowise

With regards the cost, surely this has got to cost more than their relatively high volume gopro gimbal that I assume uses more off the shelf parts than one created from scratch for the Vision?
    I thought that their gopro one was around $450 yet they are indicating $300-$400 for the Vision?

10. LeoS

I think they were selling their old gimbal at $400+ when zenmuse was $700.
    So now that zenmuse's price is practically halved, they know they have to lower the price accordingly to sell the quantity that they want...

11. Pull_Up

Pass. Perhaps they are using more plastic components? Different motors?

Once again, we await feedback from the users. Price point is important, but if it doesn't deliver stability like the dronexpert gimbal then it might not be a value for money proposition. It will be great to get both videos and user experiences after they've been in users hands for about a month or so.

12. LeoS

Come on now, give em a chance :)
    You know ppl listen to you and your opinion matters..

I actually have a pretty good impression about them when I read of their use of 3D printer to prototype this... and also just today I saw their gimbal used on the latest Make Magazine, the one with the huge article about Drones.

13. Pull_Up

Woah, I wasn't dissing 'em! I'll rephrase - if they have managed to come up with equal stability and function to the dronexpert guys at between half and 2/3 the price then they'll clean up in the newly-emerging third-party Vision gimbal market. But I want to hear both first impressions and some one-month-down-the-line experiences from users of both of them.

Lets face it if Rotorpixel can come in nearer the lower end of their price point (and the thing works well) then I'm going to find it difficult not to throw my wife's money at them... ;)

14. garygid

Is the tilt motor on the side away from the compass?
    In any case, the tilt motor will be a moving metal magnetic mass quite close to the compass, right?
    The mass will move, relative to the compass, whenever the copter rolls.
    Since the P2V appears to have critical operational dependance upon the compass
    input, this moving magnet could, might possibly, be a problem, I am guessing.

15. Pull_Up

I'm guessing that as long as you remember to compass calibrate before the first flight with the gimbal then that should compensate? Their other non-Vision gimbals are of similar construction so it's got to be something that can be managed...

16. gpauk

... Does the zenmuse motor live near the compass? If so, then presumably it's ok.... DJI sell it, it must be true....

There's no reason for a gimbal to be super expensive -- the tarot 2d on my P1 works exceptionally well, and was about £100....

17. Peter Evans

I had an email yesterday from StudioSport here in France that they expected to have filter holders available in a fortnight's time.

"------ Support technique studioSPORT.fr ------
    Bonjour,
    Pour le moment le produit est indisponible. Nous devons en recevoir d'ici 15 jours.
    Bonne journée,
    Cordialement,
    Ugo
    http://www.studioSPORT.fr"

that translates as,
    "Hello, for the moment the product is not available. We expect to receive them here in a fortnight. Have a nice day...etc."

18. arinvideo

Or Maybe they just won't try to rape us :)

19. arinvideo

I asked them what if I want to swap to a go pro later on and a few other questions..

20. Pull_Up

Stock landing gear ok? Yay!

Vibration issues "theoretically solved"? :shock: I hope it's actually solved when they get the pre-production prototypes or that's going to put their release date right back...