P4 camera not as sharp as I was hoping

Thanks TheloniousMac for the update. Let's hope Dji read this and correct on the next update. "Posterisation" is exactly the look it has, which is useless for work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just ran some test video with a new U3 90MB/s SD card. 4K @ 30fps with default settings. Flew atop some pine trees and as soon as the P4 began to move the video blurred. Not very happy at the moment.

Chopstix Kid, same issue here. Not happy. DJI fix !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta be careful with 4K. The P3 / P4 video stream is BARELY able to keep up. It's OK for static or slowly moving scenes but you can blow it out by moving the scene quickly. You don't need anything other than a generic Class 10 SD card - faster ones aren't going to help.

I would start by filming with the P4 on the ground on a box or something - if your static images are crap, then you have something inherently wrong with your camera / gimbal. If the static movies are OK, then it's likely a shutter speed issue or perhaps a gimbal problem.

I'm still using D-LOG, I haven't noticed any change in quality but enough people have complained about it to switch to some other setting (None wold be a good start if you will do post processing).

DLOG was massively gimped in the last FW update. At this stage it's not known if this is intentional or not but it affects DJI's range of drones including the X3 & X5 cameras as well as the Phantom 4.
Despite a lot of people shooting and recommending people shoot in DLOG, don't touch it for now.
DLOG-Vs-None.jpg

I would have my camera looked at if I were you because those are definite artifacts. Either you have a faulty camera, or you have a wacked out wonky setting somewhere in there. It is true that they changed the starting settings so you don't have to tinker as much with the "style" setting when recording videos. Here is a still from an image of video that I blew up, color corrected and that's after it was compressed to h264. Now mind you, I did this color correction in about less than 2 mins of tinkering from the image just to juxtapose whatever you got going on here. This is from the P4 that is giving me fits too. This is a brand new image taken with the P4 after the all the updates.

76VDKpt.jpg

Reactions: AIRSPACE
What sharpness settings are you using Jussaguy?
Depends. I usually subtract 1 or 2 from sharpness, contrast, and saturation on all levels depending on the situation. I have found that the P4 shoots a drop warmer and a teeny bit softer than the P3. I think DJI was trying to match the go to setting that people were doing on the P3 and former P3 owners went to make those adjustments and found it to be too soft but without the knowledge of WHY they were doing what they were doing, they were stuck without a method.

Put -1 across the board in STYLE with d-log color and that's probably the general of where I would stay. You can get a salvageable, if not great image with a working camera in almost every situation (if everything else is set right). The amount of sharpness also is dependent upon FPS and shutter speed. Generally the faster the shutter speed, the sharper the natural image.

I would have my camera looked at if I were you because those are definite artifacts. Either you have a faulty camera, or you have a wacked out wonky setting somewhere in there. It is true that they changed the starting settings so you don't have to tinker as much with the "style" setting when recording videos. Here is a still from an image of video that I blew up, color corrected and that's after it was compressed to h264. Now mind you, I did this color correction in about less than 2 mins of tinkering from the image just to juxtapose whatever you got going on here. This is from the P4 that is giving me fits too. This is a brand new image taken with the P4 after the all the updates.

76VDKpt.jpg
You do know that's a still photo and NOT a still from a 4k video right?
Wether you do or not I can clearly see the same posterisation on that PHOTO despite the effect being far less pronounced on PHOTOS and also less obvious the higher up you go (the effect is easiest to see in tree branches).
Either way what we're talking about here is the effect of DLOG on VIDEO, not just taking photos.
Before the last update I was very happy with the DLOG video coming out of the Phantom 4 and found it to be superior to the X3 on my Inspire.
Right after the last FW update DLOG VIDEO is rubbish.

You do know that's a still photo and NOT a still from a 4k video right?
Wether you do or not I can clearly see the same posterisation on that PHOTO despite the effect being far less pronounced on PHOTOS and also less obvious the higher up you go (the effect is easiest to see in tree branches).
Either way what we're talking about here is the effect of DLOG on VIDEO, not just taking photos.
Before the last update I was very happy with the DLOG video coming out of the Phantom 4 and found it to be superior to the X3 on my Inspire.
Right after the last FW update DLOG VIDEO is rubbish.
I will upload the video when I'm done watching Alice in Wonderland with my daughter.

I'll even upload other video that shows roofs and trees, the two things that show off said artifact the most. It's compressed out of the bird and then compressed again to get on here. You think you're going to have zero artifacts? And I do think it's better than the X3.

The photo you show here is just a photo not a still taken from a video.
It's bloody obvious from the image size and aspect ratio.
I just said I will upload the associated video. It was a still but the video looks perfect.

It certainly doesn't look like what you have. I'm only trying to help you. Settle down.

Reactions: Derek Mackinnon
I can confirm the issue we are discussing is video only. Still photos are OK indicating focus is ok. The video portion is what really looks bad......very bad.

I had this same issue with my first p4. My second one does not do this.

Here is a short clip from the one that was broken.

Ringolong, so you can confirm you have much better quality of video now after a new unit?

Ringolong, is that video from new camera or suspect, it looks like my quality.

Can u post footage from new camera?

DLOG was massively gimped in the last FW update. At this stage it's not known if this is intentional or not but it affects DJI's range of drones including the X3 & X5 cameras as well as the Phantom 4.
Despite a lot of people shooting and recommending people shoot in DLOG, don't touch it for now.
DLOG-Vs-None.jpg

I'd be mad too if my photos looked as bad as those ^
DJI_0010.JPG

While I have nothing to compare it to, I also felt that motion on my P4 video (4K @ 30fps) was a bit blurred. I'm using the provided U3 MicroSD card but am waiting on a U3 90MB/s card I ordered. Since this is my first drone, I just accepted it as norm. I'm hoping that perhaps the faster card helps.
90MB/sec SD card for a quadcopter that write maximum 60mbps/sec that means just 7,5MB/sec? A simple class 10 SD card is more than enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl