Video formats and resolutions (a borning but neccesary thing to know)

Reaction score
I am just copy and pasting this thread from RCgroups that I posted there, here. This is my junior (third) attempt at this. I apologize in advance if it's too much, too little, or unwanted information or that I used a beloved member of the Phantom community's video to play off of to teach you guys about the differences between the various formats, resolutions, etc in the P3 and P4, or any DLSR or any video camera you would use. This is definitely not the most interesting video. We're going to school here, not flying but it's a neccesary evil to learning how to be a good videographer to know every SINGLE BIT about the resolution formats.

Pasted from here:

I appreciate the kind words!

I was not and am not trying to tear down another person when I used his video to go over some of the different type of formats and what goes with them and what they mean against each other.

I tried to make a more concise video of the TTT tear apart and be kinder because at the end of the day, he seems like a bright young kid who would be an intelligent student but he's not a teacher yet, but he's teaching a massive class.

The person that said you can't control YT, FB and just the internet in general as far as bad info goes but he also has some good info mixed in there and a ton of subscribers (although the video on video formats has almost no good in it).

I realize I am making myself look bad by ripping up his stuff but I tried to make this video more concise and to concentrate on what is right rather than what is wrong but I can tell you I learned more being an instructor for 2 years at USC than I ever did as a student. The reason is when someone comes to you with a question and you don't know the reason, YOU FIND OUT. Believe me there is nothing worse than telling a student you have to find something out and I am sure not going to give wrong info which I believe is going on here on a massive level.

So I just used his video as a backdrop to tell some truths about video resolutions, format committees (i.e. 4k and UHD are not just two different resolution, they are two different committees with different agendas, frame rates, etc).

So here we go, this is actually my 3rd attempt at this!

My first one was 1:16 then I got it down to like 59 and finally when I thought I was rushing though it, and I was at 54 minutes, I decided to leave it.

So here is the shortest video I could make that fills a book's worth of info into a 54 minute video.

Watch at your leisure and if you find yourself tuning out, just stop and continue later.

Please PM or e-mail me if you want to know more, disagree and want to discuss or whatever. I get enjoyment from transcendence and spreading knowledge so please do.

I hope you can get something from this and for any of the knocking of Mr. Tom, I apologize in advance. I really tried hard to remain purely positive.

Next video coming up is going to be low light settings and how we can manipulate setting in order to achieve different looks and various camera tricks.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't like to tell people how to create but there are rules we must know in order to get what we want. That's that I will try to help with. What I ned help with is the technical side of the other part of this profession/hobby which is flying. It's a tall order to be good at two things with so much technical know how necessary in two different fields, but that is exactly what we are doing.

2nd shot on explain out out what the different resolution and formats are.

Basically we cover the very surface of what NTSC, PAL, SECAM, 4K, and UHD are and how they convene on different viewing media.

Again, I do it by using Tom's video and I hope this doesn't upset anyone, and I PROMISE it is not because I have anything against him unless he is purposefully knocking off the truth. I don't know. Honestly, I am of the opinion that he is at times pretending to be something he's not. But I've been wrong once.

Please remember to change the video to the highest quality your bandwidth can handle. Not sure why it didn't offer a 4K version this time, I recorded the same way. Tired.

Last edited:
I hope no one quotes the whole post... Will wear my thumb out!

and I PROMISE it is not because I have anything against him unless he is purposefully knocking off the truth. I don't know. Honestly, I am of the opinion that he is at times pretending to be something he's not. But I've been wrong once.
Instead of spending all of that energy going back and forth on emails with Tom (I can only imagine...), telling us for 15+ minutes in the video that you're not attacking Tom, etc., why don't you use your expertise and make a video that just shows people exactly what to do? You apparently have some sort of expertise in this area, so I'm assuming you'd be up for this task.

Instead of spending all of that energy going back and forth on emails with Tom (I can only imagine...), telling us for 15+ minutes in the video that you're not attacking Tom, etc., why don't you use your expertise and make a video that just shows people exactly what to do? You apparently have some sort of expertise in this area, so I'm assuming you'd be up for this task.
Well you're making assumptions under false pretenses and the reason I "spend all that time saying I'm artacking Tom" is because my freshman attempt was viewed as such.

After looking at your freshman, sophomore, and junior attempt, I hope this is your senior FINAL exam.

After looking at your freshman, sophomore, and junior attempt, I hope this is your senior FINAL exam.
How did you see my second attempt when I never uploaded anywhere and it never left my computer and I made the next in order to try and make it more concise?

Your joke is very funny though.

I

Last edited:
How did you see my second attempt when I never uploaded anywhere and it never left my computer and I made the next in order to try and make it more concise?

Your joke is very funny though.

You have a great attitude, no harm intended, just looking to have some fun.

I like what Jussaguy did. I hate people on the internet that think they know everything. And they share their "knowelage" with you... Tom's Tech Time is really wrong and he is not admitting it which I think he shoud. Cinematic look with AWB? C'mon....

Yes, Jussaguy did a long video...but at least you can learn something from it...Thanks Jussaguy

Reactions: Jussaguy
I like what Jussaguy did. I hate people on the internet that think they know everything. And they share their "knowelage" with you... Tom's Tech Time is really wrong and he is not admitting it which I think he shoud. Cinematic look with AWB? C'mon....

Yes, Jussaguy did a long video...but at least you can learn something from it...Thanks Jussaguy
Thanks you! I appreciate you saying that. I take a lot, certainly want to give back in the places I can. :)

Reactions: l3ksy
Well you're making assumptions under false pretenses and the reason I "spend all that time saying I'm artacking Tom" is because my freshman attempt was viewed as such.
Your video is incredibly long. You wasted a lot of time calling out Tom. (I know -- that was the point.) You made some great points though. My suggestion was to forget about Tom and make a shorter video with all of your great points. That way, people can just focus on the correct information.

Reactions: l3ksy
Yes you actually were long...but you did 2 videos...this one you shared and another one which is longer :) I watched both even they are almost the same...but from both I learned something...which I did not learn from any of Toms videos... Yes, you should do shorter videos for learning purposes too :)

BTW I watched Toms video on how to get cinematic look before you made that video...and just couldn't believe it... It almost made me think there is something I don't know :)

Keep up the good work...

Your video is incredibly long. You wasted a lot of time calling out Tom. (I know -- that was the point.) You made some great points though. My suggestion was to forget about Tom and make a shorter video with all of your great points. That way, people can just focus on the correct information.
Thanks for your suggestions. I tried to do just that but apparently failed in my attempts but I spent much of that 15 minutes discussing my personal views on why there seems to be more contention in the world of aerial photography than any other hobby I've been around (internet-wise). The video may be incredibly long by your estimation but in reality, I could EASILY take the info that I put in this 54 minutes and make a weeks worth of classes out of it. As it turns out, in under an hour, I barely brushed on the subjects I discussed. I stated at the beginning of the video that this is not meant to entertain, but to try and educate with some of the knowledge I might be able to pass on. And you put in a parenthetical that the to call him out was my point. It wasn't. If everyone wasn't believing what he was selling, I might just make a video and not say a word about him but rather just put the right stuff there. I take no joy in knocking a man down, even if I do believe there are purposeful and nefarious intent. It's not who I am. I actually still feel bad about it but when it comes to that many people, I don't see why they don't deserve some truth. There is no other reason I call him out. He's certainly not alone and I hardly think he's a bad person whether I am right or wrong about his knowledge of his knowledge if you will.

Long? Not at all. Very short for what it covers. Yes I could say it all in a small paragraph but nothing would be gained by that IMO.

I do very much appreciate the kudos and maybe I was using TTT's video to try and teach some points, but it seemed logical to do so because for one, it will automatically refute some of his info to people that might be watching it and thinking it's correct and I might have been being a little lazy and not wanting to come up with a curriculum and rather just respond point by point to what he was saying (sort of a road map). Again, appreciate the suggestions.

I appreciate you taking the time to watch it and the feedback.

Be well.

I am one who admittedly knows little about photography and/or videography. I was really excited to see this post and couldn't wait to get home to watch the video.

Honestly, it sounds like you know your stuff, and it would seem that there is a ton of good information in there. However, your obsession with Tom is incredibly annoying. I had to quit watching it after about 20 minutes.

I don't know Tom, and hadn't heard of him until your video. I do want to learn how to take great pictures and video, one of the reasons I am here. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I'd love to see you make a Tom-free video in the future.

Also, since he is obviously monetizing his work, I would be afraid of a copyright infringement suit coming your way

It's a pirates life for me

I am one who admittedly knows little about photography and/or videography. I was really excited to see this post and couldn't wait to get home to watch the video.

Honestly, it sounds like you know your stuff, and it would seem that there is a ton of good information in there. However, your obsession with Tom is incredibly annoying. I had to quit watching it after about 20 minutes.

I don't know Tom, and hadn't heard of him until your video. I do want to learn how to take great pictures and video, one of the reasons I am here. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I'd love to see you make a Tom-free video in the future.

Also, since he is obviously monetizing his work, I would be afraid of a copyright infringement suit coming your way

Again, I have no PROBLEM AT ALL with the monetizing unless it's at someone's expense, a la you're getting wrong info.

I don't have any obsessions regarding him. I am beginning to have one with people sticking up for him while I'm trying to give you the info the way it is correct.

If you want to learn the basics and then dig deeper than watch the whole video and get back to me. I used his video as a road map to dissect the actual format and resolution settings.

If you want me to make yet another one going over this basic information, no chance, sorry. If you want to watch the info, learn it and then tell me what you want me to expound on far beyond what Tom knows let alone will make it into my video, by all means.

I am here to try and help. Nobody is paying me for It. I had even offered if you read my description on the video that if people want more info they can email or even call me and I'm happy to discuss but this isn't a waffle station. If I want marshmallows on your video to learn this info, you gotta take em.

If you find it "annoying" that I took several hours of my day to try and help you learn something you don't know, then you'll either continue to not know it, or fight through that feeling.

That video is about resolutions and formats, not Tom. I don't even care really how he monetizes with bad info let alone good ones, but that's the real annoying part.

Summary: If you want to know what NTSC, Pal, UHD and 4K are its there for the taking. If you don't, google it. Lots of Tom free explanations. This is the surface my friend.

Once we start talking more about codecs (which I touch on) and proper bit rate setting, variable vs constant bit rates, frame rates, ISO, f stops for images, and all that this video makes looks like Resolutions for Dummies than you'll maybe stop caring that I use his video to quite good effect as a road map to teach you the truth, you'll thank me instead of telling me how you want your waffle.

But if you find it annoying, by all means, keep putting your waffle batter in the microwave.

Did I push that analogy?

All the best.

Expounding on your analogy:

If I'm allergic to chocolate and you keep shoving a waffle full of chocolate chips at me I'm not going to feel much like thanking you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik