META-REVIEW: Complete list of Mavic features & what people are saying about it

Hey @msinger, could you update this bulletpoint to clarify that it doesn't actually do digital video out, but simply that either port (underside USB-A or left-side µUSB) can be used to connect to the mobile device?
Thanks. I removed that bullet point to prevent any confusion.

Reactions: Morgon
Does somebody know if you can start the camera and the gimbal functions without the flying functions? That may sound a little stupid, but as the Mavic is so small, it could serve as a backup camera on long hiking trips and you have to carry it anyways. So why not mounting it on your backpack with the camera facing the surroundings? In Nationalparks flying is forbidden, taking pictures/videos is still allowed :)

Reactions: elanarchist
Unless it was mentioned elsewhere, I can't find the official range the Mavic gets without the controller and controlling only via the cellphone's wifi. I did see a video where a DJI Rep said 80 meters, but not sure if that is true. IF true, those looking to save $250 by buying the bare bones version at $750 will be VERY disappointed.

Last edited:
DJI is likely trying to make it appeal to those who think paying $999 for a remote they will never use is crazy.

DJI is likely trying to make it appeal to those who think paying $999 for a remote they will never use is crazy.
Why wouldn't anyone NOT want to use a remote ? I made that mistake with my Parrot Bebop 2, bought it without the Skycontroller, was totally disappointed by the wifi-cellphone performance, got the Skycontroller and got excellent distance. Went from worthless to awesome. Went from a toy grade experience to a very serious drone experience.

Why wouldn't anyone NOT want to use a remote ?
I'm assuming there is a market for it since DJI took the time to incorporate such a feature. Sure though -- it won't be useful to everyone.

Why wouldn't anyone NOT want to use a remote ? I made that mistake with my Parrot Bebop 2, bought it without the Skycontroller, was totally disappointed by the wifi-cellphone performance, got the Skycontroller and got excellent distance. Went from worthless to awesome. Went from a toy grade experience to a very serious drone experience.

Agree,

Wi-Fi only range is very limited and it essentially cripples what Mavic can do. The only reason I would see in buying it without remote if you already have another Mavic with remote and want/need to have a backup. And that assuming you could pare another Mavic to the remote.

I dunno, having a quick setup is an attractive feature for me. Will I use it frequently? Probably not. But for the times I do, I'll appreciate it's there. As far as I've interpreted, gesture control is only available when running in WiFi Mode (which is dumb, frankly), so that's another reason.

Do you have the math to support that fact? Seems exaggerated to me. I'm guessing 10% would be a closer estimate.
In fact it is 40% further.
Given that the detector is the same, it is just the ratio of the lenses focal length, 28mm/20mm=1.4 or 40% further to cover the same field

With Android, you can Chromecast your entire phone screen to a TV. That would be an option.

You can do the same with Airplay and an AppleTV device, however the LAG (to the TV) would be terrible, and I can only imagine that pushing the video feed to another device (apple/android, doesnt matter) will cause some performance hit on the phone itself.

I have a tripod mount for my iPad and an extra long lightening cable I have used for other applications, which I think would work well enough to allow the iPad to be viewed by others and still viewed by the pilot.

However, I personally think that using a tablet with/without tripod or aftermarket controller mount is really defeating the purpose of the portability of the Mavic. I dont see myself carrying anything extra with the drone other than my phone, controller, drone and batteries.

Do you have the math to support that fact? Seems exaggerated to me. I'm guessing 10% would be a closer estimate.

Sure:
mav_vs_phan.png

Reactions: Topherchris
Simpler, tan(47º)/tan(39.4º)=1.305 = 30.5% larger.
On the other hand I'm worried that the field of view provided by DJI are inconsistent with the given values of the focal length. A quick computation indicates that the Mavic FOV of about 79º should be about 74.5º if the equivalent focal length is 28mm and the detector is a 1/2.3". Either the FOV value given by DJI is wrong or the equivalent focal length is less than 28mm.

I wonder if VIP servicing will make the people w/o this service wait even longer for CS to answer or get repairs. I have waited up to a week to get thru when P3p was new.
And, if everyone gets the VIP service, then will waiting be just like it is now? Cuz when I buy mine, (when the price goes down), I will definitely get the 99 buck worry free service. Provided it does exactly what it says.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent video and the color is great.... Dang it.. I already have 7 drones in my hangar... Looks like there will be 8 as soon as the price reduces.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Will terrain follow work over moving water? How about snow where there is no texture?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31