Welcome to the club, not many of us know how it feels to have yer a/c that far away from home point.
I'm guessing this was yer most exciting flight to date and that's saying a lot for you! Also, very brave of you to trying over water knowing that if you lose reception after 70,000 it might auto land instead of RTH. Good stuff unknown!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: UnknownCaller
New Quad World Record!!!! 23.34 miles 123,343 ft. One way with the Phantom 4.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
View attachment 74222 View attachment 74223 View attachment 74224
Had 35 to 40 mph winds today so I figured why not try to break the one way distance record for a quadcopter. Running 50 to 60 mph the whole way I hit 23 miles in about 25 min right around 40% battery. The last three min I spent finding a decent spot to put her down. Everything worked out my buddy retrieved the bird for me completely fine. Awesome stuff!!! Horizon Terminator Extreme with 2 Sunhans 3 watt gold boosters.
Awesome flight! You da Man! What externals were you using?

How can you possibly keep unaided line-of-sight at all times at these distances? I find it hard enough to re-acquire my drone at distances over 1500' or so if I look away or at the screen display and then shift back to looking at it. It's pretty hard to see big things a few miles out, much less a small object in the sky (with a backdrop of clouds, haze, whatever...)

How can you possibly keep unaided line-of-sight at all times at these distances? I find it hard enough to re-acquire my drone at distances over 1500' or so if I look away or at the screen display and then shift back to looking at it. It's pretty hard to see big things a few miles out, much less a small object in the sky (with a backdrop of clouds, haze, whatever...)

Eagle eyes! ;)

Guess so... I shouldn't ask. Don't want to know!

Keep in mind the requirement though. I'd think posting about super long-range (obviously BVR) flights is a potential invitation for enforcement action. Be careful guys!

Guess so... I shouldn't ask. Don't want to know!

Keep in mind the requirement though. I'd think posting about super long-range (obviously BVR) flights is a potential invitation for enforcement action. Be careful guys!

I thought your first post was a joke, after your second post it's clear this thread is a topic that you don't have much interest in.
There's lots of topics on this forum where your "advice" will fit in,maybe. Prob not gonna change a lot of minds here though.
"Requirement", really!

I'm being serious... reading the FAA's web site, its very clear that UNAIDED line of sight is a requirement whether you're operating under P.L. 112-95, Section 336 "hobby" rules or 14 CFR Part 107 regulations. You can also use an observer (which as a practical matter probably makes the most sense, even for very long distance operations), but it is most definitely a requirement either of the operator or observer unless you have a Part 107 waiver. Don't want to believe me? Start here:

Getting Started

Of course you always can request a waiver under Part 107 but I seriously doubt everyone on here and everyone who has gone out and purchased add-on range extenders or those fancy-schmancy, expensive POV goggle things is doing that for every flight (which is actually what the requirement is). This is a matter of law - it's not optional. If you bust it, you're risking enforcement action by the FAA, fines, suspension or revocation of certificates, etc. Sure you might get away with it and probably will (unless you're stupid and post / brag about it publicly for example...).

That's all I'm saying. Be careful. Know the rules. I doubt an Administrative Law Judge will have a heck of a lot of sympathy for Joe Blow Drone Pilot standing in front of him or her saying, "duh, I didn't know", especially in response to some kind of incident or accident where heaven forbid someone got hurt or there was damage done.

FWIW I'm seriously impressed with the ability of people to extend the range of these aircraft and what they can do. The engineer / test pilot in me wants to tinker with it myself to see what CAN be done (not just what's ALLOWED to be done), but it seems there are a few fundamental legal issues with doing so - namely that you need UNAIDED visual contact with your UAS at all times... it would be derelict to just ignore this. The responsible thing to do is know the rules and figure out a way to achieve the objective (i.e. conducting max. range, BVR test flights) while not opening yourself up to the potential unpleasantness of a federal investigation.

Why not try educating yourself instead of flaming me? Here, take a look at the text of P.L. 112-95, Section 336, which you can find here:

https://www.congress.gov/112/plaws/publ95/PLAW-112publ95.pdf

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Also, here's the text of the (most relevant) Regulations under Part 107 (the rest is available in the link):

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

§107.33 Visual observer.

If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:

(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.

(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in §107.31.

(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:

(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and

(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

So basically it should be obvious that you shouldn't just be blasting away using only your HD telemetry info. on your iPad while your aircraft is thousands of feet away, clearly BVR. Again, I'm not posting this to rain on anyone's parade, just make them aware of the rules so it's done correctly and safely, which of course reflects better on our whole little community. We're already fighting a perception war that drone operators are largely a bunch of doofuses with expensive toys who want to spy on our neighbors sunbathing or screw around in the approach paths of jet airliners - why not follow the rules and not give the haters another reason to hate?

Just a thought. Rant / flame away, best of luck and fly safely.

Tampa-> Miami next time brother!!!! i believe in you, you can do it...haha!

New Quad World Record!!!! 23.34 miles 123,343 ft. One way with the Phantom 4.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
View attachment 74222 View attachment 74223 View attachment 74224
Had 35 to 40 mph winds today so I figured why not try to break the one way distance record for a quadcopter. Running 50 to 60 mph the whole way I hit 23 miles in about 25 min right around 40% battery. The last three min I spent finding a decent spot to put her down. Everything worked out my buddy retrieved the bird for me completely fine. Awesome stuff!!! Horizon Terminator Extreme with 2 Sunhans 3 watt gold boosters.

So basically it should be obvious that you shouldn't just be blasting away using only your HD telemetry info. on your iPad while your aircraft is thousands of feet away, clearly BVR. Again, I'm not posting this to rain on anyone's parade, just make them aware of the rules so it's done correctly and safely, which of course reflects better on our whole little community.

This IS a large community with lots of different interests, you have not added anything to this thread but fear, scare tactics, possibly threats,and a little bit of annoyance. This thread is only really for those certain few out of thousands.
It's pretty clear you don't approve of this manner of UAV use and this thread is not for you. Good luck finding other helpful threads on this great forum that do interest you.
BYW, I did not read your entire post so I can answer to the questioning authorities "duh, I didn't know "![emoji41]

SkySensei, your posts are noted and bring attention to the current regulations. As you noted, many do not know the current laws and restrictions on drones. Many people buy a drone and never register it nor find out what the current laws are. It clearly would be appropriate to put the current FAA regulation in every drone sold.

However, once the point and laws are made, it is useless to pontificate on the need to follow FAA regulations on a forum and thread devoted to surreptitiously flouting the FAA regulation. Many laws are made to provide a semblance of control on a possible dangerous situation. Most of the drone laws were to prevent criminal endeavours and possible attacks from nefarious people.

One must always realize that the law was never meant to criminalize the citizen out to have fun. It was intended to allow prosecution of malicious activity.

If this thread were devoted to flying drones over airports and scaring pilots, there is not a poster here who would not condemn and remove the postings.

Improving range in a drone in this discussion is the same as the person who boosts his cell phone, illegally, to improve reception.
Radar detectors, flashing lights to warn drivers of the police, and driving without a seat belt when parking the car, are all illegal. Threads telling people how to modify engines and then driving above speed limits and simple soft ware hacks to get around locked phones are illegal. Yet, the social harm is zero.

You have informed a limited group of people of the law.

I would suggest that if you are truly concerned about the current ignorance of the FAA regulations, which appears to be rather significant, I would have the people running this forum to post them at the beginning of each thread.

As it is, this is a group of somewhat nerdy drone people interested in finding the best hack to have the most harmless fun.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
SkySensei, your posts are noted and bring attention to the current regulations. As you noted, many do not know the current laws and restrictions on drones. Many people buy a drone and never register it nor find out what the current laws are. It clearly would be appropriate to put the current FAA regulation in every drone sold.

However, once the point and laws are made, it is useless to pontificate on the need to follow FAA regulations on a forum and thread devoted to surreptitiously flouting the FAA regulation. Many laws are made to provide a semblance of control on a possible dangerous situation. Most of the drone laws were to prevent criminal endeavours and possible attacks from nefarious people.

One must always realize that the law was never meant to criminalize the citizen out to have fun. It was intended to allow prosecution of malicious activity.

If this thread were devoted to flying drones over airports and scaring pilots, there is not a poster here who would not condemn and remove the postings.

Improving range in a drone in this discussion is the same as the person who boosts his cell phone, illegally, to improve reception.
Radar detectors, flashing lights to warn drivers of the police, and driving without a seat belt when parking the car, are all illegal. Threads telling people how to modify engines and then driving above speed limits and simple soft ware hacks to get around locked phones are illegal. Yet, the social harm is zero.

You have informed a limited group of people of the law.

I would suggest that if you are truly concerned about the current ignorance of the FAA regulations, which appears to be rather significant, I would have the people running this forum to post them at the beginning of each thread.

As it is, this is a group of somewhat nerdy drone people interested in finding the best hack to have the most harmless fun.
Whilst I don't want to be categorised as nerdy, I agree with your well thought out and articulated response. The beauty of this forum is that with 70000 members, you would assume that the majority would at least have a modicum of knowledge of the regulation that applies to flying their drones, there are probably a million others that have no idea regarding their responsibilities. Rather than nit pick at those who are pushing the boundaries of their craft, we should be rolling up those innovations to companies like DJI to incorporate into their future designs to provide a more stable platform for flying. I look at people like Dirty Bum and my eyes glaze over with what he is doing and want to improve my distance and flying skills, that is a natural development for me in progressing my obsessive hobby. FWIW, I work in mining, have done for many years, I've seen more people killed in an environment that is extremely regulated, the only major incident over here was a bloke that flew a sausage sanger from a Bunnings warehouse to his pool in his backyard. Sure a lot of 'would be/could be' but let's take a breath...

Reactions: Feez
Whilst I don't want to be categorised as nerdy, I agree with your well thought out and articulated response. The beauty of this forum is that with 70000 members, you would assume that the majority would at least have a modicum of knowledge of the regulation that applies to flying their drones, there are probably a million others that have no idea regarding their responsibilities. Rather than nit pick at those who are pushing the boundaries of their craft, we should be rolling up those innovations to companies like DJI to incorporate into their future designs to provide a more stable platform for flying. I look at people like Dirty Bum and my eyes glaze over with what he is doing and want to improve my distance and flying skills, that is a natural development for me in progressing my obsessive hobby. FWIW, I work in mining, have done for many years, I've seen more people killed in an environment that is extremely regulated, the only major incident over here was a bloke that flew a sausage sanger from a Bunnings warehouse to his pool in his backyard. Sure a lot of 'would be/could be' but let's take a breath...

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
New World P4 Record 61,308 ft. and back
FB_IMG_1486337148780.jpg FB_IMG_1486345318573.jpg FB_IMG_1486345324882.jpg Screenshot_2017-02-05-18-22-54.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl