Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

A message regarding the differences in the terminator panel versus cheap Chinese panels:

"Thanks Mike .

we have also changed a few things , the connectors will be SMA in the next batch ( T2 ) . the antenna comes with the patch cables and
the 3D bracket , these are peak tuned and give the best $$$ value there is in any antenna out there , its cheaper than the DBS o2 and out performs it easy also it does have better performance over the MaxxRange.
These are peak tuned and sealed for very rugged use and to keep them in tune in all conditions , like if you shock the Maxxrange it will mess the antenna up , you can drop the terminator it will not detune . We build them to last, there is no point re inventing the wheel with this type of antenna we used existing stuff that was out there and made it work properly ,this give the customer the best it can be and at a cost effective price , a normal person will not be able to do this , although the chineess ones on eBay would probably out perform the FPVLR v2. , but they are mass-produced , ours are hand built and tuned to perfection.

thanks"
I have personal experience with this regarding the maxxrange, I shared with you guys earlier in the thread when I opened up the two panels that the max range had the corners of the antenna peeled up from the sticky tape that held it in place. While I've never had an issue with range yet with my
maxxrange, I could see a scenario where bumping it around in the bag a few times could cause that tape to fail again. And it appears that Horizon is taking measures to make the terminator more secure than the maxx and the Chinese panels!

A message regarding the differences in the terminator panel versus cheap Chinese panels:

"Thanks Mike .

we have also changed a few things , the connectors will be SMA in the next batch ( T2 ) . the antenna comes with the patch cables and
the 3D bracket , these are peak tuned and give the best $$$ value there is in any antenna out there , its cheaper than the DBS o2 and out performs it easy also it does have better performance over the MaxxRange.
These are peak tuned and sealed for very rugged use and to keep them in tune in all conditions , like if you shock the Maxxrange it will mess the antenna up , you can drop the terminator it will not detune . We build them to last, there is no point re inventing the wheel with this type of antenna we used existing stuff that was out there and made it work properly ,this give the customer the best it can be and at a cost effective price , a normal person will not be able to do this , although the chineess ones on eBay would probably out perform the FPVLR v2. , but they are mass-produced , ours are hand built and tuned to perfection.

thanks"
I have personal experience with this regarding the maxxrange, I shared with you guys earlier in the thread when I opened up the two panels that the max range had the corners of the antenna peeled up from the sticky tape that held it in place. While I've never had an issue with range yet with my
maxxrange, I could see a scenario where bumping it around in the bag a few times could cause that tape to fail again. And it appears that Horizon is taking measures to make the terminator more secure than the maxx and the Chinese panels!
Sounds pretty much what I said. I said they use them as a parts kit and fine tune them.

Sounds pretty much what I said. I said they use them as a parts kit and fine tune them.
So you may have SOME success w/ the cheap panel but if extreme distance or penetration is what your seeking then the cheap panel will fall short and you get what you pay for!

So you may have SOME success w/ the cheap panel but if extreme distance or penetration is what your seeking then the cheap panel will fall short and you get what you pay for!
Yet to be seen. The biggest tune up I would think is spacing and being able to keep the spacing correct.

I agree with that. I can go parity far with my cheap panels, but if I was going to do it every other day or so I think I would want the best. And I don't think I will be pushing it beyond 3 miles.

I agree with that. I can go parity far with my cheap panels, but if I was going to do it every other day or so I think I would want the best. And I don't think I will be pushing it beyond 3 miles.
The problem with going the kind of distance as it takes to break or even get close to record these days is you got to have perfect reception out and back there's no room or battery life for you to hit a situation you lose signal for even a minute and risk a return to home situation where you're running 22 miles an hour when it's critical that you run 30+ miles per hour all the way back!
This is why even though these panels I have personally proven can go 8+miles unboosted in most of my surroundings, I still boost it when I'm going for a 9+ mile run just to be certain that I have perfect signal all the way there and back

There are some American made panels that wont brake the bank. I don't know if there that much better. I don't have the desire to go for the record.
I have noticed that with this new bird I lose video signal first. With my old bird [ I am putting it back together ] I had the bird side mod and I almost never lost video signal first. When I get the old bird back together, I may get a little ballsy with the range. :p

Reactions: dirtybum and Reed L
OK I've been learning vast amounts about frequencies, antennas, equipment, science and maths about this whole subject and here's how fact seems to be,
Me and others can make antennas get results good or bad. You could get lucky and have the perfect antenna 'bonus'
But and this is a big BUTT there are so many variables "we all know this", and this is where a major problem lies you will never know how perfect your antenna is or the bad.
I can go and fly, come back in, change something, go back out same location fly again and compare "what's the problem"?
There is No constant.
Science won't help
Math won't help
Learning won't help
And being ignorant won't help
The only thing that will is a very expensive bit of kit that really as a hobbyist you wouldn't bother with.
I'm happy to create and learn so I will continue but like I said way back I can't test so when I feel happy with what I've made which definitely works to a point, I've succeeded in my own personal side hobby if you like.
Horizonfpv are great at what they do and will continue adding to the distance enthusiasts we have here for a long time to come and I look forward to the future of flying sorry for ramble very busy week again.

Reactions: Reed L
It wasn't a ramble it all seb! What you're saying makes perfect sense! We can create our own antennas test them and if they work to our satisfaction great! The only way to fine tune a quality antenna is with the expensive equipment that the antenna makers have invested in! That doesn't take anything away from what you and procharged97 and others have done! You guys never set out to make an antenna that blows away the competition, only to try and see if you could build one that performed at all. Hats off to you guys

"Thanks Mike .

thanks"

Personally I think they are full of sh##. They have been a bit shady on multiple occasions it seems (just what I have read not personal experience). Had they said from the get go what they were doing it would be a lot different than trying to make up this story now that they got caught selling a $35 panel kit for an outrageous price. They are still trying to make out like they are doing something special here. They aren't, they are packaging up cheap Chinese junk, giving it a sad excuse for a black spray can paint job and selling it like snake oil. Don't get me wrong, they work!! But their business practices make me not want to ever deal with them.

My personal opinion only.

I like do deal with honest, upstanding people. I don't like dealing with people who are shady, tell half truths, etc.

Rant done.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok thanks.
Db how much battery did you have left at 9 miles. I was looking at 9 miles out I would be deep in Indian ground....
Even with my best battery combination, at least in my area, and probably anybody who tries, it's hard to get out 9 miles and make it back! It takes every bit of skill, battery, and signal that you got at your disposal. More people
are starting to get 6 to 8 miles and make it look pretty easy, it's after that 8 miles where things get real interesting[emoji41]

Reactions: Digdat0
that is why I asked at 9 miles where you turned around.what the battery is.Thinking it can land some where near a road. On the way back.the whole thing with it being sacred land. if I can land it 10 or 15ft from a road.
Even 7 or 8 miles till puts me in some what deep. But there is a main non Indian ground 1/4 Mile north.
And this if all going well. :cool:

Last edited:
Are they available for P3S?
Which one. The Terminator is making one for the Standard version of p3 and I'm not sure on the Maxx . But I'm sure one of the others will answer it for you. The Terminator's version for the Standard is in the testing stage..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl