Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I didnt change the cables . I only got 1 set of the clean install kit so I have nothing to change .

is there any way to test the connection on the new sma conector that replaced the old stock antennas ?

Ohm meter, check the wiring from one end to the other end. to make sure you don't have a break ( like what Ed was saying).

Im not knocking the Terminator because Im sure its great for many people but so far its not really working for me . My first flight I actually got less distance than with stock in the exact same place . Then flew in a different direction and I did get some more maybe 5000 feet instead of 3500 but I had to fly over 400 feet high to keep signal . This is in a treed location with built up houses and wifi . It seems like its much more directional and loses signal more suddenly than the omni directional antennas .

Today I went back to the ocean where I got 12,000 feet last week on stock antennas . I got good signal with the Terminator and suddenly at 6960 feet it just lost signal and did RTH . I then tried with the Tp link 8db antennas that I bought at Amazon and I got over 7,000 feet before RTH. You can see from Healthy Drones that the TP link had much weaker signal strength but i kept regaining it whereas the Terminator just died . So far for me its a big letdown . I modded the RC with Jakes clean install kit and I assume that is not the problem because its is going 7000 feet even with the TP links . I guess if there was a problem with the wiring ,it wouldnt go so far .

This is the Terminator ocean flight today HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is the same flight with the TP link 7 dollar antennas HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is last weeks 12,000 foot flight in same area HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

My hunch is that the Terminator is much more directional and much less forgiving on signal loss . While stock and the TP link and other stick antennas are omni directional and even with a much weaker signal ,still get some signal and dont die as fast . Im not an engineer so this is just a guess .

Is there any chance that my wiring is not perfect from the mod ?

Same here, less than half my unmodded range in some directions. Then tried again and did get further than I have before. But I only got 2500m, where I regularly got 2400m stock.
I don't know if that means it's faulty or not. Certainly nowhere near the gains most have seen.
Will has been absolutely superb though. Despite being on holiday he's said I can return mine and he'll sort it as soon as it arrives, he said I could pick from a replacement terminator, exchange for Maxx or full refund and that he'd refund the postage. You can't say fairer than that!

I am wandering if there is something wrong with the new black Terminators. I do want one of these new antennas ,but I am waiting for all the bugs to be worked out. And I hope the price comes down
some to.

Same here, less than half my unmodded range in some directions. Then tried again and did get further than I have before. But I only got 2500m, where I regularly got 2400m stock.
I don't know if that means it's faulty or not. Certainly nowhere near the gains most have seen.
Will has been absolutely superb though. Despite being on holiday he's said I can return mine and he'll sort it as soon as it arrives, he said I could pick from a replacement terminator, exchange for Maxx or full refund and that he'd refund the postage. You can't say fairer than that!
Very good to hear that he's handling things that way!
Whats your choice.

Im not knocking the Terminator because Im sure its great for many people but so far its not really working for me . My first flight I actually got less distance than with stock in the exact same place . Then flew in a different direction and I did get some more maybe 5000 feet instead of 3500 but I had to fly over 400 feet high to keep signal . This is in a treed location with built up houses and wifi . It seems like its much more directional and loses signal more suddenly than the omni directional antennas .

Today I went back to the ocean where I got 12,000 feet last week on stock antennas . I got good signal with the Terminator and suddenly at 6960 feet it just lost signal and did RTH . I then tried with the Tp link 8db antennas that I bought at Amazon and I got over 7,000 feet before RTH. You can see from Healthy Drones that the TP link had much weaker signal strength but i kept regaining it whereas the Terminator just died . So far for me its a big letdown . I modded the RC with Jakes clean install kit and I assume that is not the problem because its is going 7000 feet even with the TP links . I guess if there was a problem with the wiring ,it wouldnt go so far .

This is the Terminator ocean flight today HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is the same flight with the TP link 7 dollar antennas HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is last weeks 12,000 foot flight in same area HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

My hunch is that the Terminator is much more directional and much less forgiving on signal loss . While stock and the TP link and other stick antennas are omni directional and even with a much weaker signal ,still get some signal and dont die as fast . Im not an engineer so this is just a guess .

Is there any chance that my wiring is not perfect from the mod ?
SK, I'd be glad to send you another Terminator to try.
As far as being directional, compared to omni (360 degrees) the Terminator is not that forgiving, but as long as you are facing the general direction of the bird you should have solid connection. If you get a little to far to the right or left you will loose a few bars but it should not suddenly cut completely out.
Let me know what you want to do, I'll make it right with you.

SK, I'd be glad to send you another Terminator to try.
As far as being directional, compared to omni (360 degrees) the Terminator is not that forgiving, but as long as you are facing the general direction of the bird you should have solid connection. If you get a little to far to the right or left you will loose a few bars but it should not suddenly cut completely out.
Let me know what you want to do, I'll make it right with you.
I appreciate that. I will try to give it one more shot and test it again on Sunday. Like i said in the beginning I am nit knocking it. It might just not work for everybody

I appreciate that. I will try to give it one more shot and test it again on Sunday. Like i said in the beginning I am nit knocking it. It might just not work for everybody
It should work for everybody better than that though, you should take him up on the offer to swap it out, and after that I would suggest new cables

Very good to hear that he's handling things that way!
Whats your choice.

Will be going for another terminator and new external cables. The internal I assume are fine as I the same range with the 5dBi alpha panels as I do with the terminator. But like SK it flicks between good signal and nothing. Almost like there's a dry solder joint or something giving an intermittent connection. I probably could fix it but don't want to open it up in case that affects Will's happiness to change it.

Will be going for another terminator and new external cables. The internal I assume are fine as I the same range with the 5dBi alpha panels as I do with the terminator. But like SK it flicks between good signal and nothing. Almost like there's a dry solder joint or something giving an intermittent connection. I probably could fix it but don't want to open it up in case that affects Will's happiness to change it.
Good will be looking forward to seeing what the new one will do for you.

The connectors in the remote can be difficult too because they are small. I found it was difficult to get them seated and you have to be very careful doing so or you can break a pin. This is especially hard if you don't have the greatest eyesight. With glasses on, I still needed a magnifying glass to really see well. I would have a look to confirm those connections are seated properly. A slight wiggle to rock them should confirm they are. And you should absolutely get a replacement. It could be the antenna has a flaw.

I checked the cables again. They seem as connected as can be. Since it went over 7300 feet with the cheap Tplink antennas i have to assume the connections are good

The connectors in the remote can be difficult too because they are small. I found it was difficult to get them seated and you have to be very careful doing so or you can break a pin. This is especially hard if you don't have the greatest eyesight. With glasses on, I still needed a magnifying glass to really see well. I would have a look to confirm those connections are seated properly. A slight wiggle to rock them should confirm they are. And you should absolutely get a replacement. It could be the antenna has a flaw.

I was careful with the internal connectors and applied hot glue to hold them in place.
I opened it up again and checked them but as suspected they were OK. They do "click" on and off so it's not that hard to tell.
It also works fine with my 5dBi delta antenna's which implies the problem is with the external cables or Terminator itself.
Still hoping to return the terminator next week so replacement should be here soon.

ctj4g.jpg

2ed58xj.jpg

I found the smaller dbs panel to react the same where you have it then you dont, but I have NOT found the Maxx or Terminator to be directionally sensitive! I use a tripod and for EVERY test I've performed w/ BOTH these antennas, I point the tripod/ antennas straight towards the horizon slightly above the treelines and never move it once for the entire flight. So maybe aiming IS your issue. But, w/ the little dbs panel i've been able to move the controller almost 90° to my right/left while the nord was 2 miles out and keep a signal, so maybe that will be my next test for these two antennas
db, I ordered Horizon's head and stand for the Term Extreme!

I figured I should start using a tripod as well, I'll be going unboosted on the Extreme.

I won't be going cheap, but I want a solid setup, something I wont have to keep upgrading.

I'll take plenty of pictures, and hopefully we'll be getting some results!

Reactions: Reed L
If you overtightened the connection at the RC then the cable inside the RC could have spun/twisted. Tighten then snug but dont over tighten because it will twist the cable inside the controller and damage/disconnect.
I noticed that the swivel indent from the DJI antenna made it difficult to properly tighten the connector, and that it moved when putting on an antenna or cable. Fortunately we have a nice soldering / microscope station at work and a guy who knows how to use it who repaired the cable connection to the connector.

Asked Jake about these little plastic spacers shown in an eBay kit from China.
2016-05-07_16-39-59.jpg
He suggested using a washer with a larger outside diameter to hold it against the chromed ring instead. A few cents at Ace hardware and that did the trick for me, along with a few dabs of hot glue inside for insurance.
IMG_0368.JPG

Reactions: phxbird57
db, I ordered Horizon's head and stand for the Term Extreme!

I figured I should start using a tripod as well, I'll be going unboosted on the Extreme.

I won't be going cheap, but I want a solid setup, something I wont have to keep upgrading.

I'll take plenty of pictures, and hopefully we'll be getting some results!
The terminator extreme!! **** this things going to be a BEAST!
Hopefully it's a solid unit it sounds like some people are having some issues, and it either has to be cables or the panel. Because some are flying in open areas. Do you have an ETA on that BeauS?
Are we all just waiting in limbo. I can't wait to see this thing, I heard Midwest is getting them from UK as soon as their breaks over, you've got to be first on the list!

Ok all I got my Chinese knock off ( or are they). You be the judge. The boxing was not the greatest.
IMG_20160520_162417689[1].jpg
IMG_20160520_162429003[1].jpg
IMG_20160520_162546187[1].jpg
IMG_20160520_162554678[1].jpg
IMG_20160520_163016161[1].jpg
IMG_20160520_163108032[1].jpg
IMG_20160520_163120122[1].jpg
So after looking at Db's I'll get some more foam tape and I'll be set. I'll have to measure the foam. It looks as if it is sandwiched between the back panel and front panel. It probably wont be till Monday before I can get it out and see how it does. I'll be first trying it out on my P2v+. I'll rename them Desert Storm oh Sht*t somebody is already using that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor