Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Will that answers my one question . on your mod with the batteries. I have seen it with and with out the reg battery. So you're flying with 3.
No I don't fly with three batteries usually at least not that big. If you wasn't part of the conversation there was a debate(that I wish I never started because it was meant to be objective and just turned ugly)on Jake's P3 leaderboard thread, where Jake posted somebody from Facebook not from the forum on the leaderboard with a 58000' 45 min. Record! I argued that if you're going to have your record on this forums leaderboard, you should be part of this forum! It was a very impressive flight nonetheless, but then it came out that he flew that without a camera, which I & a few others thought that was a little unfair to the friendly competition, because anyone can take the weight of the camera off and add extra batteries that someone wouldn't be able to do who uses a camera because of the location of the camera and the extra weight of the camera.(I know who cares right) anyways, I just flew that flight this morning to prove that anybody can take a camera off and put a big lipo in its place and fly that kind of record. But that's not the way we fly distance records whether you're flying with special antennas and extra batteries or you're just flying stock

No I don't fly with three batteries usually at least not that big. If you wasn't part of the conversation there was a debate(that I wish I never started because it was meant to be objective and just turned ugly)on Jake's P3 leaderboard thread, where Jake posted somebody from Facebook not from the forum on the leaderboard with a 58000' 45 min. Record! I argued that if you're going to have your record on this forums leaderboard, you should be part of this forum! It was a very impressive flight nonetheless, but then it came out that he flew that without a camera, which I & a few others thought that was a little unfair to the friendly competition, because anyone can take the weight of the camera off and add extra batteries that someone wouldn't be able to do who uses a camera because of the location of the camera and the extra weight of the camera.(I know who cares right) anyways, I just flew that flight this morning to prove that anybody can take a camera off and put a big lipo in its place and fly that kind of record. But that's not the way we fly distance records whether you're flying with special antennas and extra batteries or you're just flying stock
Don't get me wrong. I just seen the picture with the standard battery with the mod to it. I've seen it done with just the front panel where the circuity is. then just plugs two external battlers in.

Don't get me wrong. I just seen the picture with the standard battery with the mod to it. I've seen it done with just the front panel where the circuity is. then just plugs two external battlers in.
Oh sorry, I went on a rant and that wasn't the question you was asking! Yes I'm on my dji batteries, to have XT 60 connectors hanging off of them, that way you can plug additional batteries into the main battery for the extra flight time

Im not knocking the Terminator because Im sure its great for many people but so far its not really working for me . My first flight I actually got less distance than with stock in the exact same place . Then flew in a different direction and I did get some more maybe 5000 feet instead of 3500 but I had to fly over 400 feet high to keep signal . This is in a treed location with built up houses and wifi . It seems like its much more directional and loses signal more suddenly than the omni directional antennas .

Today I went back to the ocean where I got 12,000 feet last week on stock antennas . I got good signal with the Terminator and suddenly at 6960 feet it just lost signal and did RTH . I then tried with the Tp link 8db antennas that I bought at Amazon and I got over 7,000 feet before RTH. You can see from Healthy Drones that the TP link had much weaker signal strength but i kept regaining it whereas the Terminator just died . So far for me its a big letdown . I modded the RC with Jakes clean install kit and I assume that is not the problem because its is going 7000 feet even with the TP links . I guess if there was a problem with the wiring ,it wouldnt go so far .

This is the Terminator ocean flight today HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is the same flight with the TP link 7 dollar antennas HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is last weeks 12,000 foot flight in same area HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

My hunch is that the Terminator is much more directional and much less forgiving on signal loss . While stock and the TP link and other stick antennas are omni directional and even with a much weaker signal ,still get some signal and dont die as fast . Im not an engineer so this is just a guess .

Is there any chance that my wiring is not perfect from the mod ?

I'm not sure how the xtreme is gonna work! I know its very large and the pilot I spoke to says its arranged vertically stacked so its almost "tripod exclusive. But that pilot did say I could probably reconfigure it to sit side-by-side. Also I dont know if the one your getting will be the same as mine because Will is putting one together especially for me to test, I dont know if its prototype or stock extreme!! We'll see in a couple weeks. But rite now I'm freakin stoked about this bad boy
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1463715763.230127.jpg

My chick said"that looks like it would hurt"[emoji41]

Im not knocking the Terminator because Im sure its great for many people but so far its not really working for me . My first flight I actually got less distance than with stock in the exact same place . Then flew in a different direction and I did get some more maybe 5000 feet instead of 3500 but I had to fly over 400 feet high to keep signal . This is in a treed location with built up houses and wifi . It seems like its much more directional and loses signal more suddenly than the omni directional antennas .

Today I went back to the ocean where I got 12,000 feet last week on stock antennas . I got good signal with the Terminator and suddenly at 6960 feet it just lost signal and did RTH . I then tried with the Tp link 8db antennas that I bought at Amazon and I got over 7,000 feet before RTH. You can see from Healthy Drones that the TP link had much weaker signal strength but i kept regaining it whereas the Terminator just died . So far for me its a big letdown . I modded the RC with Jakes clean install kit and I assume that is not the problem because its is going 7000 feet even with the TP links . I guess if there was a problem with the wiring ,it wouldnt go so far .

This is the Terminator ocean flight today HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is the same flight with the TP link 7 dollar antennas HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is last weeks 12,000 foot flight in same area HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

My hunch is that the Terminator is much more directional and much less forgiving on signal loss . While stock and the TP link and other stick antennas are omni directional and even with a much weaker signal ,still get some signal and dont die as fast . Im not an engineer so this is just a guess .

The results you are getting are poor I would say. I did 5mi today with the Maxxrange boosted not exceeding 167ft. My takeoff spot was on a hill with a giant tree about 50ft in front of my flight path. I never lost signal just turned around because I was getting a headache.

Your "hunch" is a direct result of the differences in antenna designs. They are operating as designed in that the omnidirectional is going to be a much more forgiving and not require aim. The panels are more sensitive to aim. I noticed your flight paths are not direct lines straight out and back. Were you adjusting your position/aim as you flew? How certain are you that you were aiming towards the drone?

I'm not sure how the xtreme is gonna work! I know its very large and the pilot I spoke to says its arranged vertically stacked so its almost "tripod exclusive. But that pilot did say I could probably reconfigure it to sit side-by-side. Also I dont know if the one your getting will be the same as mine because Will is putting one together especially for me to test, I dont know if its prototype or stock extreme!! We'll see in a couple weeks. But rite now I'm freakin stoked about this bad boy View attachment 54474

hahahahaha! that's a beast! Procharged hooked you up??

I'm not sure how the xtreme is gonna work! I know its very large and the pilot I spoke to says its arranged vertically stacked so its almost "tripod exclusive. But that pilot did say I could probably reconfigure it to sit side-by-side. Also I dont know if the one your getting will be the same as mine because Will is putting one together especially for me to test, I dont know if its prototype or stock extreme!! We'll see in a couple weeks. But rite now I'm freakin stoked about this bad boy View attachment 54474
Better then jealous.:cool:

The results you are getting are poor I would say. I did 5mi today with the Maxxrange boosted not exceeding 167ft. My takeoff spot was on a hill with a giant tree about 50ft in front of my flight path. I never lost signal just turned around because I was getting a headache.

Your "hunch" is a direct result of the differences in antenna designs. They are operating as designed in that the omnidirectional is going to be a much more forgiving and not require aim. The panels are more sensitive to aim. I noticed your flight paths are not direct lines straight out and back. Were you adjusting your position/aim as you flew? How certain are you that you were aiming towards the drone?

I obviously couldnt see the drone and I was trying to fly towards some boats in the ocean so I guess I kept adjusting so yes its possible I wasnt pointing perfectly straight at times . You can see with the Terminator a grren signal and then suddenlt RTH with no chance to fix ,while the TP links are wek signal but allowed me to adjust and climb .

I would think most people dont fly in exact straight lines unless they are trying to create distance records ,so in real life if the Terminator is so unforgiving its going to conk out in that second when you are not pointing straight at it

Hey db, with this tripod head on the Extreme kit, you would run a long RP-SMA cable to your controller right? Similar to this video?

I have the Zero Gravity Harness from Bestem Aerial, that's why I've considered trying a controller mount.

http://horizonfpvantennas.us/wp-content/uploads/CTH-1024x596.jpg
Amazon.com: Bestem BT-HARNESS-DJI Zero Gravity Remote Controller Harness System for DJI Phantom 1/2/3/4 and Inspire 1: Automotive
db, do you think flying like this would work well? I know you have your controller mounted right on your tripod.

I would think most people dont fly in exact straight lines unless they are trying to create distance records ,so in real life if the Terminator is so unforgiving its going to conk out in that second when you are not pointing straight at it
I found the smaller dbs panel to react the same where you have it then you dont, but I have NOT found the Maxx or Terminator to be directionally sensitive! I use a tripod and for EVERY test I've performed w/ BOTH these antennas, I point the tripod/ antennas straight towards the horizon slightly above the treelines and never move it once for the entire flight. So maybe aiming IS your issue. But, w/ the little dbs panel i've been able to move the controller almost 90° to my right/left while the nord was 2 miles out and keep a signal, so maybe that will be my next test for these two antennas

Reactions: Reed L
I just looked at my HD log for the TP link flight It hit 7300 feet and didnt RTH . I must have hit RTH to get it back because I lost thev feed and I saw the signal was bad . While the Terminator definitely hit auto RTH at 6970 feet without giving me a chance to react

SK what was the farthest you had gone un mod in your P3p? I know weather condition are a factor. With My P3a, easy 8 or 9000ft

I would give the Terminator another chance in open area, if it still doesnt perform you should check/change your cables in the controller, if it still doesnt perform you should send it back to horizon and request a new one. Because I,ve used the terminator UNboosted in heavy suburban area with a house blocking my signal and still got 2 miles easy

db, do you think flying like this would work well? I know you have your controller mounted right on your tripod.
All you got to do w/ these panels is point in the right direction so it should work well! Which setup do you mean Beau

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119