Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Did my first test with the Maxx. Went to a park that I have flown several times and flying in 4 different directions, the best improvement over the smaller Itelite brother was only about 100 yards further over a mile distance. Also had some sporadic drops on control and video. Very disappointed so far.
This is why we started this post, and we want you guys to continue to share your experiences good or bad, but I got to say I just don't get it. From the moment I got both of these antennas they were complete game changers, no more signal drops ,hardly any drops in bars, unbelievable consistent range even in spots that I could not go that far before. Even now they are still changing the game for me, I'm allowed to do things I never was before, in the form of flying different flight paths and staying lower than ever before. This makes me wonder what the worlds wrong what I hear somebody say they didn't see any improvement. I would suggest sending it back , until you try different one I guess there's no way to know

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Did my first test with the Maxx. Went to a park that I have flown several times and flying in 4 different directions, the best improvement over the smaller Itelite brother was only about 100 yards further over a mile distance. Also had some sporadic drops on control and video. Very disappointed so far.

I had a massive improvement over the smaller "little brother"
Did you bring the smaller one with you?
I would like to hear the comparison under the exact same conditions and this can really only be done if you switch them out right then and there and see what happens.
It is just weird though. Mine was a major improvement over the smaller one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had a massive improvement over the smaller "little brother"
Did you bring the smaller one with you?
I would like to hear the comparison under the exact same conditions and this can really only be done if you switch them out right then and there and see what happens.
It is just weird though. Mine was a major improvement over the smaller one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Very good point Blaster, it would've been interesting if you could bring it back and send it right back in the same path with the little guy, in fact I think I'm going to do that very test next time I fly, maxxrange unboosted in a good flight path, then 30 minutes later(because I know the maxxrange unboosted will take me at least 30 minutes out)i'm going to pop on the little brother unboosted and see what he offers

Very good point Blaster, it would've been interesting if you could bring it back and send it right back in the same path with the little guy, in fact I think I'm going to do that very test next time I fly, maxxrange unboosted in a good flight path, then 30 minutes later(because I know the maxxrange unboosted will take me at least 30 minutes out)i'm going to pop on the little brother unboosted and see what he offers

I had the smaller DBS antenna and got decent range always, but it's so dependent on the situation it's impossible to compare with others.

I look at this way, you have to pretend the antenna signal is on the tip of your toes... Facing up... If there is anything between you and that bird it's going to have an result on the signal. For example I tried flying over the Puget Sound, thinking over water would be better, but I couldn't ever get close because I had to fly over small strips of islands etc. but when I fly to the north with nothing but water I can go miles.

I could get 15,000' with my Small DBS and I can now go 20,530' with zero loss of signal. And I only came back because of the battery.

What people need to work on is making sure it's pointed correctly, and don't move it or jerk it... I had my iPad lay over on to the maxx antenna and it lost all signal. Showing how sensitive it truly is.

The Maxx is well built, and very sturdy. You shouldn't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

IMG_20160521_130151756[1].jpg
I got my twin antenna's mounted now just need less wind.

Last edited:
So true about the pointing TheLightspeedz! For example, this tripod picture that Phoenix just posted, if you point that just barely above the horizon and then take your bird out until it starts dipping to the horizon and then increase its height not even moving the antenna you shouldn't have to move the antenna ever with these panels, I don't!I set up yesterday and flew out 50,000 feet and never touched my antenna once on my tripod(actually I barely touched the controller either)

My point DB was lots of people think things like small flat islands will not affect it, but it does... Even at altitude, eventually it creeps into the shot. I like to stand on a hill, and fly over a lower piece of land to ensure I'm always in the line of bird.

I set my personal best at 20,530 yesterday and when I got back o seriously was cramping in my legs from trying to remain steady.

My point DB was lots of people think things like small flat islands will not affect it, but it does... Even at altitude, eventually it creeps into the shot. I like to stand on a hill, and fly over a lower piece of land to ensure I'm always in the line of bird.

I set my personal best at 20,530 yesterday and when I got back o seriously was cramping in my legs from trying to remain steady.

Yep, as the flight time starts
Increasing, you're going to seriously start thinking about a tripod! No you're hundred percent right, I'm lucky enough that my house, even though I live in relatively flat lands, is higher up than most of the miles around me. If I'm lower than the rest of the area around me I don't bother flying because eventually the horizons's gonna creep up on ya

So true about the pointing TheLightspeedz! For example, this tripod picture that Phoenix just posted, if you point that just barely above the horizon and then take your bird out until it starts dipping to the horizon and then increase its height not even moving the antenna you shouldn't have to move the antenna ever with these panels, I don't!I set up yesterday and flew out 50,000 feet and never touched my antenna once on my tripod(actually I barely touched the controller either)
Maybe I should move the panels up so I have a window between them to keep the drone in place:rolleyes:

View attachment 54633 I got my twin antenna's mounted now just need less wind.
Lol I tapped your pic and it went full screen it was just grey only partial panel taking up my whole screen mahoosive, also is that a bullet you have in the original antenna hole?

Lol I tapped your pic and it went full screen it was just grey only partial panel taking up my whole screen mahoosive, also is that a bullet you have in the original antenna hole?
you like that. I seen that a .45acp cut down fit nicely. Db said it would be a chic magnet.

Reactions: Reed L
you like that. I seen that a .45acp cut down fit nicely. Db said it would be a chic magnet.
Yeah nice touch I've been thinking about what to do with mine still unsure.
You looking forward to your first major test with desert storm/tsunami.

0c1632f7182b3c4d33bc8609b529673a.jpg

232c91ad249603f6de0c45435b0fa0d6.jpg

01472cdf642b2eaa777815c8d6ed00bf.jpg

10758aa961cd29dba14c0da69193ed1f.jpg

I did a run with MaxxRange and went 10753'. I then finished mounting (after having to run to Lowes again) what I will call the Governator and went 9094'.
I have amps coming this week so I am curious to see how far I can take both antennas again.

Last edited:

I did a run with MaxxRange and went 10753'. I then finished mounting (after having to run to Lowes again) what I will call the Governator and went 9094'.
I have amps coming this week so I am curious to see how both far I can take both antennas again.

Nice run.

Reactions: B_Squared

I have amps coming this week so I am curious to see how far I can take both antennas again.

So you're basically saying you got the same distance with the cheap Chinese ones?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews