Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

0c1632f7182b3c4d33bc8609b529673a.jpg

232c91ad249603f6de0c45435b0fa0d6.jpg

01472cdf642b2eaa777815c8d6ed00bf.jpg

10758aa961cd29dba14c0da69193ed1f.jpg

I did a run with MaxxRange and went 10753'. I then finished mounting (after having to run to Lowes again) what I will call the Governator and went 9094'.
I have amps coming this week so I am curious to see how far I can take both antennas again.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
So turn them over put a fancy name on it Governator and your be getting 11000ft.

Reactions: B_Squared
Dirty Bum...Yes. I would like to test both at the same time. I have a buddy who has a MaxxRange, and we want to do a side by side test at the same time and see what the results are.

That would be very interesting to see.

So we are agreeing the terminator is the cheap Chinese panels with stickers and a new plug??

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So we are agreeing the terminator is the cheap Chinese panels with stickers and a new plug??
And it had been gone though to make sure it's up to spec's . The hard ware is the same. It's just that the Terminator had been fine tuned.

Based on your results I would bet there are quite a few pilots that will be testing these in the near future.
Heck $28!

Someone needs to build and then sell a bracket that can be easily used with these antennas. Based on what we know so far, this is really all we need to complete the install.
I really need to get a 3D printer...
I am excited to see more testing and comparisons!

Based on your results I would bet there are quite a few pilots that will be testing these in the near future.
Heck $28!

Someone needs to build and then sell a bracket that can be easily used with these antennas. Based on what we know so far, this is really all we need to complete the install.
I really need to get a 3D printer...
I am excited to see more testing and comparisons!

I'm sure someone is hard at work with their 3D printer.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Ok all I got my Chinese knock off ( or are they). You be the judge. The boxing was not the greatest.
View attachment 54544
View attachment 54545
View attachment 54546
View attachment 54547
View attachment 54548
View attachment 54551
View attachment 54552
So after looking at Db's I'll get some more foam tape and I'll be set. I'll have to measure the foam. It looks as if it is sandwiched between the back panel and front panel. It probably wont be till Monday before I can get it out and see how it does. I'll be first trying it out on my P2v+. I'll rename them Desert Storm oh Sht*t somebody is already using that.

Ok after talking to a few other members that know more then I. This is what you need to check and fix with the Chinese antennas.
1. replace the foam for the spacing between the pcb board & back plate. You will see 4 off sets that the pcb board rests on. These 4 poles keep the pcb in line with the back plate all so will give it correct spacing with the foam. The foam that comes with it is 1" x 1" x 1/4" It may work. I did like what Db's shown in his Terminator pictures,two long strips running top to bottom. I'm told the sweet spot for 2.4 ghz is around 3/16" . I measured the stand off poles to the back plate and got 1/4" subtract 1/16 for the thickens of the pcb and you get 3/16".
2. replace the ground screw. I found both of mine to be loose. to try and tighten it down did not do anything. So you have a few options, get a longer bolt and put a nut on the back then tighten it down. or replace the whole connection. Just remember the back plate is made of stainless steel can't solder to it. ( or a lease I could not).
3. this somewhat going with number 2 because you can't get to the set screw with out unsoldering the pcb board,I found that one of my pcb board solder was bad. If you do replace the set screw you will have to re-solder, If you don't just hit the solder on the pcb board.
I hope this helps anyone that may buy one and if you find something else please leave a message.
Enjoy
Phxbird57

Last edited:
Ok after talking to a few other members that know more then I. This is what you need to check and fix with the Chinese antennas.
1. replace the foam for the spacing between the pcb board & back plate. You will see 4 off sets that the pcb board rests on. These 4 poles keep the pcb in line with the back plate all so will give it correct spacing with the foam. The foam that comes with it is 1" x 1" x 1/4" It may work. I did like what Db's shown in his Terminator pictures,two long strips running top to bottom. I'm told the sweet spot for 2.4 ghz is around 3/16" . I measured the stand off poles to the back plate and got 1/4" subtract 1/16 for the thickens of the pcb and you get 3/16".
2. replace the ground screw. I found both of mine to be loose. to try and tighten it down did not do anything. So you have a few options, get a longer bolt and put a nut on the back then tighten it down. or replace the whole connection. Just remember the back plate is made of stainless steel can't solder to it. ( or a lease I could not).
3. this somewhat going with number 2 because you can't get to the set screw with out unsoldering the pcb board,I found that one of my pcb board solder was bad. If you do replace the set screw you will have to re-solder, If you don't just hit the solder on the pcb board.
I hope this helps anyone that may buy one and if you find something else please leave a message.
Enjoy
Phxbird57
Thanks man. All that sounds good. I think the spacing should be 15mm. Not sure though.

0c1632f7182b3c4d33bc8609b529673a.jpg

232c91ad249603f6de0c45435b0fa0d6.jpg

01472cdf642b2eaa777815c8d6ed00bf.jpg

10758aa961cd29dba14c0da69193ed1f.jpg

I did a run with MaxxRange and went 10753'. I then finished mounting (after having to run to Lowes again) what I will call the Governator and went 9094'.
I have amps coming this week so I am curious to see how far I can take both antennas again.

As db said you basically got the same distance and that's without changing out the original cables which are probably not so good in quality and length could be reduced nice work!

Reactions: B_Squared
The spacing changes the size of the patches and vice versa there is a formula which if you search online you will find. Whether you can understand it is another but there are calculators that help with that.
I would say 3mm to 6mm sounds about right.
I'm guessing nobody has the measurements of the space for the liehuo antenna or terminator as I'm very nearly done with my diy but would like to check as it doesn't seem exact by the formula with the size patches.
Pics coming very soon :):):cool:

The spacing changes the size of the patches and vice versa there is a formula which if you search online you will find. Whether you can understand it is another but there are calculators that help with that.
I would say 3mm to 6mm sounds about right.
I'm guessing nobody has the measurements of the space for the liehuo antenna or terminator as I'm very nearly done with my diy but would like to check as it doesn't seem exact by the formula with the size patches.
Pics coming very soon :):):cool:
I did measure the Chinese ones and they have it setup at 3/16 in.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
OK so here's the prototype, don't laugh now this one mean *** piece of kit ;)
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG

So this was made with all stuff I had at home already the only thing I had to buy was the sma connectors which I got 5 for about £4.
Warning!! there was an old freest box harmed in the making, but I managed to salvage a 500gb hard drive so it's all good:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel