Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

So they went like how the network routers are.
They are some BIG *SS panels. I see you had to step up the stand. you can use the lights you took off the stand for some night flying
And can't wait to hear about the range you will be getting.
Your smoking Db
Yeah using these panels doesn't come easy you got to make it work, they are very heavy and impressive, my family was blown away by these! They haven't raised an eyebrow like this since they pulled into the driveway and saw me shooting my 5 foot long 338 Lapua![emoji41]

Yeah using these panels doesn't come easy you got to make it work, they are very heavy and impressive, my family was blown away by these! They haven't raised an eyebrow like this since they pulled into the driveway and saw me shooting my 5 foot long 338 Lapua![emoji41]
And the neighbors heard it too. :cool: poor Coyote

Reactions: dirtybum
And your lady did not have anything to say in comparison

What happened to your bird Beau?
The camera split in half after hitting the ground. I was doing a test after having signal issues and clipped a branch. The ribbon cable was separated too. I should have it back this week or next hopefully.

View attachment 57710View attachment 57711View attachment 57712View attachment 57713
I spent a couple hours out of my evening getting this thing set up so excited to use it, it's been windy all day, but this evening is perfect conditions for a test. Only to find out that horizon didn't make the cables to adapt to the type of plug that every single one of us have on our modded controllers! What a disappointment!View attachment 57714
Ok Db all you need is 3 more legs and you will have a canopy. Starting to look like a cell phone tower

Ok so i had to put some extra work into this but i think im ready to test but i have no battery mod so i think im going to be limited a little lol
tmp_10667-images-472184256.jpg
No tripod, no carrying just there for when you need it. Dont even need los, looking forward to the results.

ON a more serious note though db that thing looks awesome well done for testing this first, will be checking in often for the results love the landing pad is that from horizon or your own findings:):)

Ok so i had to put some extra work into this but i think im ready to test but i have no battery mod so i think im going to be limited a little lolView attachment 57720No tripod, no carrying just there for when you need it. Dont even need los, looking forward to the results.

ON a more serious note though db that thing looks awesome well done for testing this first, will be checking in often for the results love the landing pad is that from horizon or your own findings:):)
The landing pad is a piece of foam w/ 2 rolls of duct tape. I rarely use it other than photo ops![emoji41]

Reactions: seb evans
View attachment 57710View attachment 57711View attachment 57712View attachment 57713
I spent a couple hours out of my evening getting this thing set up so excited to use it, it's been windy all day, but this evening is perfect conditions for a test. Only to find out that horizon didn't make the cables to adapt to the type of plug that every single one of us have on our modded controllers! What a disappointment!View attachment 57714

Shouldn't be too hard to get production models swapped to the standard connection. Or like you said, ship with the appropriate cables !! I'm looking forward to seeing you put it through its paces !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: seb evans
Its the other way round that's the RF input end to drive the AMPs the other end of that cabe ( RPSMA ) is for the RC side !.

Connecting procedure is , RPSMA end of the long black cable from the RC unit to the Input of the RF AMP ( SMA ) output of the RF amp using the supplied Silver plated cables both RPSMA, there is also an adaptor to the Panel as they use N type , so there is and adaptor on there to convert N type to RPSMA.

Last edited:
I think what DB is saying is BOTH ends of the cable look like the end he showed us in the photo. And yeah, I hate that.

At this point, there is kind of a convention that's been established. In fact, at least in my mind, ideally the amp end "to radio" connection would look just like a conventional antenna end. But I'm not in charge.

Its the other way round that's the RF input end to drive the AMPs the other end of that cabe ( RPSMA ) is for the RC side !.

Connecting procedure is , RPSMA end of the long black cable from the RC unit to the Input of the RF AMP ( SMA ) output of the RF amp using the supplied Silver plated cables both RPSMA, there is also an adaptor to the Panel as they use N type , so there is and adaptor on there to convert N type to RPSMA.
What I'm saying is, you made an awesome setup, and I was excited to fly it but you made the cable W/ THE WRONG END on one side. Its not going to fit 99.9% of customers you ship to. Its not the end of the world! Its just an oversight.

What I'm saying is, you made an awesome setup, and I was excited to fly it but you made the cable W/ THE WRONG END on one side. Its not going to fit 99.9% of customers you ship to. Its not the end of the world! Its just an oversight.
Db you are supposed to connect it the way i described above . you can not take it to the antenna direct it was not made for that. The way i described above overcomes the cable losses. its not an oversight , its deliberate .

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
Sounds like you guys are talking apples and oranges. Here's how I see it:

DB is saying your cable won't work without an adapter.

DB is saying that's a shame because an adapter creates signal loss.

DB is saying it would be best to connect clean without an adapter.

DB is saying that can be done with a different cable end.

DB is saying it's not a big deal, but it would be best if the cable could connect clean.

I think what DB is saying is BOTH ends of the cable look like the end he showed us in the photo. And yeah, I hate that.

At this point, there is kind of a convention that's been established. In fact, at least in my mind, ideally the amp end "to radio" connection would look just like a conventional antenna end. But I'm not in charge.
W/ THE WRONG END on one side. quoted by DB, trying to connect direct to the antenna is the wrong way as there are two rf amps in the signal path, the input of which is SMA , so the other end is RP-SMA and connects to the handset , the antennas have the Silver plated RMSMA on both ends , this setup overcomes the signal cable loss .

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys are talking apples and oranges. Here's how I see it:

DB is saying your cable won't work without an adapter.

DB is saying that's a shame because an adapter creates signal loss.

DB is saying it would be best to connect clean without an adapter.

DB is saying that can be done with a different cable end.

DB is saying it's not a big deal, but it would be best if the cable could connect clean.

it will be fine if connected the way i described...., perhaps marking the ends , RC out( RP-SMA ), RF amp in. ( SMA )..

Last edited:
W/ THE WRONG END on one side. quoted by DB, trying to connect direct to the antenna is the wrong way as there are two rf amps in the signal path, the input of which is SMA , so the other end is RP-SMA and connects to the handset , the antennas have the Silver plated RMSMA on both ends , this setup overcomes the signal cable loss .
OK just to be clear, these are high-quality cables and these are high-quality antennas, you've done a great job putting this package together. But my intention to start these tests, was to go unboosted first, and then boosted later. That's how I start all my antenna tests. That's OK, like I said it's not the end of the world. Apparently you designed these to be used with amps to overcome any signal loss by the long cables.
Thank you Will for clearing that up, it's helpful that you came on here with information

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak