Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Lol this thread is obviously getting the attention of suppliers, surely whichantenna is getting some products for free or sadly isn't and really wants some ie. Name.:D

Db, have you done some tests with the new t2 and standard, did i hear you say about a 5.8 panel?

Db, have you done some tests with the new t2 and standard, did i hear you say about a 5.8 panel?
My terminator extreme is on its way in the mail and I'll be hitting it hard with the standard, it's double 2.4 19dB & A single 5.8 19d.b all three panels vertically stacked. This thing is going to be big as a stop sign.

For one thing I find your username alone to be very suspect! I don't really understand why the people who gave you a thumbs up did so !I don't really understand the reason for your post,more importantly I think I misunderstood it I hope. Because it sounded to me like you were saying I gave unfair credit to an antenna company just because I'm on the test pilot program. That couldn't be further from the truth. First off every antenna that I paid for I paid full price just like everybody else, some of them I was lucky enough to get my hands on before others and that's why I started the posts and not them, i've done many fair tests putting one product up against the other and one company up against the other, and would never favor one over the other. I posted to the people exactly what I found. In defense of horizon antennas and the test pilot program, they intentionally DO NOT give anything away for free because they want their products to be judged fairly by pilots who have already proven themselves with real numbers. Honestly I don't have to take my posts or opinions as a great responsibility because I only report to people what worked for me and how it worked and if a product don't work, people get every detail of that as well.

You're correct in the fact that you misunderstood as I clearly stated several times that I was NOT saying that was what was happening in your case. I was simply giving examples of why it's important to give as much info up front as possible to prevent misunderstandings and people from assuming or guessing where your relation with Horizon's stands. You guys should get a nice Test Pilot signature, something along the line of what the MaxxUav guys have except for Test Pilots instead of shops/distributors. Not only increase visibility for Horizons, but get some recognition yourself. To address the reason for my posts in this thread, I took this to be a thread about antenna shootouts and performance. I simply found it interesting that people earlier in the thread had made some DIY antennas that seemed to perform favorably against one of the two antennas mentioned in the threads title. I would figure this would be huge for people that didn't mind a little DIY work in return for saving quite a few dollars. I was curious if others shared my interest and had done further testing with DYI antennas and were interested in sharing their results as it seemed the DYI antennas were buried under the subsequent posts defending the Terminator and it's apparent "Fine Tuning". Shout out to Seb though for posting his custom stuff that's awesome!

Explain what is a "CTH"?
its a compact tripod Head , You have one on the way .

Just curious if you don't receive anything for free how do you have this "CTH" on the way? If you weren't aware of what it was how could you possibly order it?

Lol this thread is obviously getting the attention of suppliers, surely whichantenna is getting some products for free or sadly isn't and really wants some ie. Name.:D

Sadly no free products for me :( I certainly don't have a problem paying for a product that was well thought out and something that the manufacturers put time in designing. I do have issues paying for something if say its a $40 product re-purposed and sold for $200+. Again not saying that's what has happened in the case of the Terminator just that we need more testing to clear up the FUD either way.

Unfortunately I'm just your average joe user and have no affiliations with any brand, manufacturer, distributor, or supplier. Due to this I can't afford to purchase every antenna under the sun for through testing myself. Hoping someone with a Terminator will get the Governator and run side by side testing. I do not have the Terminator to test against and will not purchase one until I see a test between the two. We need a Terminator hero to step forth to save Horizon's honor or cast them into the fiery pit of manufacturer obscurity if they did indeed re-purpose the Governator panels. Here's hoping someone in this thread steps up and becomes the champion we all need!

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I will say it again, horizon antennas DOES NOT give me, and from my understanding, any test pilots anything for free! I wish they did but they purposely DO NOT to keep the testing and evaluation of their products fair and unbias! So it still sounds like youre accusing me of swaying the public for that company when i'm not or would not! My last record flight wasnt w/ their anntenna, but I could have easily said it was!
FYI, when I started this post putting these two antennas up against each other I was not on the horizon test pilot program, I was just a guy doing what I always do buying and flying everything I can afford to get my hands on and sharing those results with people here, I didn't know what to expect out of these two antennas or which one would be better than the other.The amazing results I got out of both these antennas is what got me on the test pilot program

I will say it again, horizon antennas DOES NOT give me, and from my understanding, any test pilots anything for free! I wish they did but they purposely DO NOT to keep the testing and evaluation of their products fair and unbias! So it still sounds like youre accusing me of swaying the public for that company when i'm not or would not! My last record flight wasnt w/ their anntenna, but I could have easily said it was!
FYI, when I started this post putting these two antennas up against each other I was not on the horizon test pilot program, I was just a guy doing what I always do buying and flying everything I can afford to get my hands on and sharing those results with people here, I didn't know what to expect out of these two antennas or which one would be better than the other.The amazing results I got out of both these antennas is what got me on the test pilot program

Not trying to accuse you of anything just trying to better understand the situation. Knowledge is power as they say. The fact that you were not on the Test Pilot program before this thread and the results put you there is awesome! I would think that based on your love for flights or in your words "buying and flying everything I can afford to get my hands on and sharing those results with people here" that your thoughts would more closely align with my own. If there's a possibility you can spend $40 and get the same or similar results as what you paid $200+ for wouldn't you want to get scientific and give it a thorough testing? More over if you did the test and found them to be very similar wouldn't you want to share that info with everyone here?

I guess I just see people assuming the Terminator is different or a finely tuned version of the Governator without any actual test cases to back the assumption up. Even when all the available information in this thread about the Governator points to the contrary. I just pray for a side by side test of each of them.

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse but I'm still having trouble understanding the earlier post I quoted in regards to the "CTH". If you're not receiving it for free how did you order it if you weren't aware of what it was? I can't imagine you click blindly around a site adding anything you may hit to your cart and then completing the purchase. You seem to be very knowledgeable so I can't imagine you would just buy something without knowing what it is that you were purchasing.

Because of my contacts as a test pilot I did not have to click on the website, I simply told Will from Horizon that there is a huge crowd that loves the p3 standard and I've used a crazy combination of antenna brands/styles to take the p3S to out of ordinary limits, can you please put me together a p3S panel package which he kindly did. He shipped it to his Midwest supplier who sent me a bill and is shipping to me. My bill did have a 20% reduced price for being a test pilot. If I receive this antenna and get poor result everyone will know, if I get amazing results everyone will know, if its built w/ sloppy construction you all know from my past posts that I will share.
I'm as fair an unbias as I can possibly be. So much that I never thought I would have to defend myself. I hope you continue to learn something if thats why your here, WA! Ps, if you want to send me an antenna to test against these or just for a fair evaluation, I will gladly do so, and if I get 8 + miles out of it, I WILL tell the world

Reactions: sacooke
Had some fun this morning ,I put my 2 Chines panels on a paint brush poll, and stuck it between my ladder rack and the cab of my truck. Then ran 10 ft cables inside the truck.
I flew about 3 miles while inside the air condition truck. I had a head wind so my battery was getting low at about 3 miles.
I like siting in the airconditioning. I don't think I will fly any other way this summer.
I am working on a mount for the Max to do the same thing.

Because of my contacts as a test pilot I did not have to click on the website, I simply told Will from Horizon that there is a huge crowd that loves the p3 standard and I've used a crazy combination of antenna brands/styles to take the p3S to out of ordinary limits, can you please put me together a p3S panel package which he kindly did. He shipped it to his Midwest supplier who sent me a bill and is shipping to me. My bill did have a 20% reduced price for being a test pilot. If I receive this antenna and get poor result everyone will know, if I get amazing results everyone will know, if its built w/ sloppy construction you all know from my past posts that I will share.
I'm as fair an unbias as I can possibly be. So much that I never thought I would have to defend myself. I hope you continue to learn something if thats why your here, WA! Ps, if you want to send me an antenna to test against these or just for a fair evaluation, I will gladly do so, and if I get 8 + miles out of it, I WILL tell the world

No need to defend yourself, I just like to ask a lot of questions because IMO the truth is always out there! Perhaps we get a GoFundMe going to get a Governator sent your way. If it gets funded I guess that means enough people are interested in the results to make it happen. If not, I guess that puts me as the only one who cares, thus making me the one responsible for making it a reality :sunglasses:
Had some fun this morning ,I put my 2 Chines panels on a paint brush poll, and stuck it between my ladder rack and the cab of my truck. Then ran 10 ft cables inside the truck.
I flew about 3 miles while inside the air condition truck. I had a head wind so my battery was getting low at about 3 miles.
I like siting in the airconditioning. I don't think I will fly any other way this summer.

That's awesome! Glad to see your getting good results from those panels. I love the innovation and the conditions of the inside of the car would be so nice I could see it being hard to go back!

Ha ha ha !!! This is awesome !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

We are here..... ( Horizon ) and listening . so if you have questions we can answer them within reason . ( please don't ask business questions ) .
Like if you get any antenna from China and ask us how to get it to work we will NOT tell you , Ive spent 40 Years doing this , knowledge is the most valuable thing.
WE can confirm that , DB was invited on to the Horizon Pilot program for his excellent work ( by invitation ) he does NOT get free stuff , but is plugged into the latest developments as they come out.
As for antennas , all antenna are basically the same , its the way they are built and many other factors that makes them work at their best . If you guys want to get a chineese antenna and use it with your kit , its ok but it will not be perfect . We could have done a complete new build , this would have put the cost way up and taken longer , so we redesigned what was basically out there , but make it work properly . There is more to this than tuning as some people mention , quite a few factors actually. Now its available to you guys at a reasonable price bypassing the expensive manufacturing cost and passing the saving on. There are many , many types of antennas out there , most if not all come from the Radio Amateurs from many years ago. The game changer in these Quads was when DJI used light bridge , this combined RC control and Video streaming on the 2.4 GHz band . Most antennas are NOT tuned to this so they can not work at their peak. Im quite happy to send out My £1200 quad with an antenna i know is perfect than take a chance by saving a few dollars , use what has been proved , we would not have brought this to you guys if we did not prove it first. Combining these antennas with the Power Mod I devised has pushed the limits to the extreme as we see on the leader boards. Now we are finding the Battery is the limit not the antenna kit...

I have personally designed many new antennas for the UAV market this has changed the way you guys fly now , its a whole new ball game now.

Will from Horizon.

late news the Typhoon Terminator
Typhoon Terminator

Last edited:
here are some images .., add another 2.4 to the left of the Helical and we have a good bit of kit for the P3 Standard.

P1030412.jpg

We are here..... ( Horizon ) and listening . so if you have questions we can answer them within reason . ( please don't ask business questions ) .
Like if you get any antenna from China and ask us how to get it to work we will NOT tell you , Ive spent 40 Years doing this , knowledge is the most valuable thing.

WE can confirm that , DB was invited on to the Horizon Pilot program for his excellent work ( by invitation ) he does NOT get free stuff , but is plugged into the latest developments as they come out.

Will from Horizon.

QUOTE]

.[/
Thanks for getting this guy off my nuts Will! [emoji41] I don't know what his goal was and he said he wasn't coming after me, but it sure felt like it. I can only imagine it's a manufacture of another antenna company. Anybody who knows me and has been following my posts for over a year, knows that I've tried every company and given every company a fair chance, and most of them praise until something better comes along. I'm in this game for fun, not for money, but I also take it serious and I'm going to use the best equipment out there on the market for my hobby.when you're flying expensive equipment between eight and 11 miles you cant afford to be flying anything but the best

Last edited:
i can only put it down to one person , you know who.
Yep! But it's all good! If I use one brand of antenna and it's awesome I'm going to tell the people, because I want them to do what I can do and be happy with what they purchased, especially if I gave it good reviews! If I'm using a product that I expected highly of, but don't get good results consistently with a fair amount of tests, I'll let people know this product didn't work for me, you should try it see if it works for you and report back. I haven't known about horizon antennas very long, but once I've discovered them, my success and distance has been amazing and that's the truth!

Yep! But it's all good! If I use one brand of antenna and it's awesome I'm going to tell the people, because I want them to do what I can do and be happy with what they purchased, especially if I gave it good reviews! If I'm using a product that I expected highly of, but don't get good results consistently with a fair amount of tests, I'll let people know this product didn't work for me, you should try it see if it works for you and report back. I haven't known about horizon antennas very long, but once I've discovered them, my success and distance has been amazing and that's the truth!
yes DB when we invited you to the Pilot program for your excellent work , you did warn us you would tell as it is ,we accepted that you are impartial with your tests, thats ok , that what we want , tell it as it is .We have tested these very stringently and know what happens , as you say it needs to be repeatable so other users can get the same results .

Fling with my Chines panels again. I have never been able to go more then 4000ft around my house. I just went 6000ft,and signal started to break up, so I did not try to brake trough. That is my record around here. I got 2 batters charging, so I can try to go further.

I don't know what his goal was and he said he wasn't coming after me, but it sure felt like it. I can only imagine it's a manufacture of another antenna company.

I can help clear this up for you. My goal, as it always has been was to learn as much about all antenna options and their various results as possible. The name WhichAntenna kind of gives it away :sunglasses: Not sure why it would be assumed I'm a manufacturer. If that's the case wouldn't I have some antennas to push on here like Pcdeveloper2014? You can't honestly think that I'm the manufacturer of the Yosoo antenna do you? After all, based on the similarities seen so far between them and the Terminator it's quite possible Pcdeveloper2014 would all ready know me if I was there manufacturer. But in reality why would they ever be on a thread about Phantom distance runs?

i can only put it down to one person , you know who.

No need to defame my name, slander and libel are never acceptable courses of action. You clearly have no idea who I am or anything about me as again I must state that I'm not a manufacturer or anyone in the UAV space. I'm a simple consumer interested in antennas. As someone who's been in the game for 40yrs not sure why you guys are so rattled by my postings, I haven't even said anything negative about the Terminator, only asked others how it compared to the Governator. Again I haven't said anything to paint either of you in a negative light. If that's incorrect please feel free to quote my attacks on you guys, but as you go back and thoroughly read my posts you will quickly find out that there haven't been any.

Fling with my Chines panels again. I have never been able to go more then 4000ft around my house. I just went 6000ft,and signal started to break up, so I did not try to brake trough. That is my record around here. I got 2 batters charging, so I can try to go further.

Great results! I'm glad to see your breaking new ground with those panels! Certainly helps to know there are viable options for people on nearly any budget, more options is always a good thing. Looking forward to your next results.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak