Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

OK, take this as a WORST CASE scenario. I wanted to test the penetration of the Itelite Maxxrange unboosted in an urban area. Through lots of trees, houses, buildings. I took off from the marina and headed back over town. The marina sits at a low point at the bottom of a hill so really flying in the direction I did I wasn't expecting much. Here's a picture of the vantage point just so you can see what we're talking about:
w1AmlFQ.jpg

Started off at 100ft and gradually worked my way up to 393ft. I got it out to almost a mile. Keep in mind this is a very congested area, hospital, many houses etc. The signal dropped fast at the outer limits but I never fully disconnected. I intended to fly from a field in the center of town but there were baseball games so I chose this spot. I think these results are pretty good. I wasn't expecting MILES when shooting signal through this much and being in such a low home point. Once weather cooperates, I'll test it out in prime location and also try boosted. Here's the healthydrones for those who are interested: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Edit: Here's a view from the turn around at just under a mile. I'm where the arrow is.

3npMXfx.jpg

The marina sits at a low point at the bottom of a hill so really flying in the direction I did I wasn't expecting much.

Ed,

Wife wants to know where this is. I told her I didn't know, she said "well, ask him!" (In a very stern and demanding sort of way). So Ed, where is this?

Thanks,

Jerry

Ed,

Wife wants to know where this is. I told her I didn't know, she said "well, ask him!" (In a very stern and demanding sort of way). So Ed, where is this?

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry, I sent you a pm, don't want to publicize my location even though that hd log allows you to show labels [emoji41]

Pretty good idea of what area the Maxx is capable of!! [emoji41]
How low did you drop down? I'm happy u got a chance to launch!

Pretty good idea of what area the Maxx is capable of!! [emoji41]
How low did you drop down? I'm happy u got a chance to launch!
I didn't go below 150 only because it's a residential area and besides trees, I didn't want people freaking out. I'll admit it was a shitty test. I rushed to get out there, was up against daylight and rain coming in. Plus once the field was occupied and I had to resort to a backup location this was my spot.

I didn't go below 150 only because it's a residential area and besides trees, I didn't want people freaking out. I'll admit it was a shitty test. I rushed to get out there, was up against daylight and rain coming in. Plus once the field was occupied and I had to resort to a backup location this was my spot.
I have to disagree that it was a crap test! We need multiple diff types of tests to fit multiple types of pilot's needs. Since you, Ed, and I are the only one with these panels in hand, every bit of input is helpful to the peeps!![emoji41]

I have to disagree that it was a crap test! We need multiple diff types of tests to fit multiple types of pilot's needs. Since you, Ed, and I are the only one with these panels in hand, every bit of input is helpful to the peeps!![emoji41]

OK DB you're right. I guess maybe I was just disappointed I couldn't test in the location I wanted to. I guess you could consider this test the urban test ;). Even though I could have turned around 180deg and done an "optimal" test over the water!

Reactions: Jtrjr
Hooked up the boosters for the next test. I offset the amps so that the lights are visible on both amps. Right now I am just testing it with 3m Dual Lock but will secure with 3M double sided adhesive. I'm thinking a small acrylic board cut to fit the amps secured to the Itelite bracket would be even better. All this stuff isn't heavy at all and very mobile ;)
sjDz3GQ.jpg

bf7R1cP.jpg

Looks clean to me Ed!
Thats what everyone's gonna like about this Maxxrange panel, its big and badass and makes you blush a little with its shear size, but its very light and really just as mobil as any longrange setup can be[emoji41]

Yeah its dope and he sells a lot of em, it didnt work for me cause i could not put a nutsert in the bottom(battery compartment) and use it on my tripod! But if yer going mobil & using that snap on DBS stainless bracket then you cant lose w/ that booster mount.
And w/ that big panel , that mount and boosters will look tucked away and clean[emoji41]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl