M.A.R.S lite parachute kit

Ya I will def post some pics. But now that I got in to this and doing some more test prints that are lighter I have thought of lots of ways to take that tube launcher design down even more on the weight if I change the design on the parts to make them not as thick and chunky in spots that its not needed. and could also use some holes added to the spring disk and the top that goes on the cat treat tube is way taller and thicker then it needs to be to at about 3/4 of an inch wide on the band that goes around the tube can easily be cut down 50% and would still leave plenty of room and strength to go around the top of the cat treat tube. The top lid also has a few places were it could shave more weight off on that by makeing it 1/2 as thick and the blocky parts that make the hing can be shorten and changed some. and a few holes or slots to take further plastic away still and It will still be just as sturdy. But the one other thing that chute launcher design needs is a good way to attach it to a bracket that could be for what ever craft its going on. Which it don't seem to have any way to attach it very good other then threw the bottom of the cat treat tube.

But I should be able to try a redesign on the launcher tube thing its self and get some weights and pics. For some visuals of this brain storming session.

The plastic tube is the heaviest thing in the system next to the parachute itself. If you do a little bit of math, you can figure out exactly what the best ratio of diameter vs. height is for your parachute. Also don't worry about buying a super powerful spring. As long as it can traverse the distance required to extend out of the tube by at least one inch it should be fine.

Keep in mind that when a parachute opens there is a considerable amount of force acting on the joint between the parachute and the aircraft's frame. During tests, a parachute deployment caused an entire Flamewheel top plate to rip out of the frame.

I'm kind of interested in doing something with micro airbags instead of parachutes. It would cover more types of crashes and be better for impact damage. The activation software would be way easier too.

The plastic tube is the heaviest thing in the system next to the parachute itself. If you do a little bit of math, you can figure out exactly what the best ratio of diameter vs. height is for your parachute. Also don't worry about buying a super powerful spring. As long as it can traverse the distance required to extend out of the tube by at least one inch it should be fine.

Keep in mind that when a parachute opens there is a considerable amount of force acting on the joint between the parachute and the aircraft's frame. During tests, a parachute deployment caused an entire Flamewheel top plate to rip out of the frame.

I'm kind of interested in doing something with micro airbags instead of parachutes. It would cover more types of crashes and be better for impact damage. The activation software would be way easier too.
Kyle, that is a very cool idea with the micro airbags [emoji106]

Reactions: Kyle O'Rourke
I like "low"tech the best and so far the P3 lite fit's the ticket perfect as far as weight, construction, simple to deploy. Less parts count means a more reliable system overall.

I almost fell over when I saw this one this morning, be sure to read the comments !
Zero Tech Safety Parachute

Last edited:
YA I was really suprised even on the 3d printed chute tube that uses the cat treat tubes. I now have done a few more test prints and got the weight down on the printed plastic parts to 21 grams from 29 and can maybe get em done to 18-19ish with some more changes to the design. But the full length cat treat tube part with the top cut off is still another 21 grams. I was not expecting that thin plastic tube to be so heavy.

Jbundy63, have you used the P3 Lite and/or seen it deploy on any video? Wondering how much altitude the drone would need in order for the P3 Lite to deploy .. any idea?
I have seen a few videos and have not used it. I actually sold my P3 Lite and am just using the Mars Mini. I do know the P3 Lite requires higher altitude, not sure how much but would think 200 feet at least? The Mars Mini because it is deployed with a spring does not require as much altitude but I still think higher the better in either case. I'm waiting on my battery backpack from NorthUAV.

Reactions: davestern2
Jbundy63, have you used the P3 Lite and/or seen it deploy on any video? Wondering how much altitude the drone would need in order for the P3 Lite to deploy .. any idea?
First day flying after fixing a compass, twice I couldn't get off the ground before parachute popped, I guess you don't have to be very high after all...LOL

Reactions: Jbundy63
Being cold today didn't help, the pack works good inside
How cold is it there? Was it fully charged when you went out? Have you measured the voltage? Wondering what voltage it was 3.7?
I thought about running two 3.7 in series

How cold is it there? Was it fully charged when you went out? Have you measured the voltage? Wondering what voltage it was 3.7?
I thought about running two 3.7 in series
only about 37, I charged till green led inside back go's out, that works fine on a test bench, I think next time I'll just use a two cell and have it over with......lol

only about 37, I charged till green led inside back go's out, that works fine on a test bench, I think next time I'll just use a two cell and have it over with......lol
I've got a couple of 3.7 cells coming and thinking about hooking into series and see what happens. I'll let you know if and when I get them.

I've got a couple of 3.7 cells coming and thinking about hooking into series and see what happens. I'll let you know if and when I get them.
Well I'm going to hope for some "freak" weather so I can get out side again, like I said I don't even think about flying when it's cold, your asking for trouble, I have some two cell also, I'll try them

Well I'm going to hope for some "freak" weather so I can get out side again, like I said I don't even think about flying when it's cold, your asking for trouble, I have some two cell also, I'll try them
Yeah it sucks when it's so cold, definitely worse where you are [emoji300]️ Cool, I will do the same!

DSCF4474.JPG

i have a lot of surplus 1s batteries, next thing is if I can find a balance plug for it, I normally use 3s packs......that and an old servo plug and bingo !! 7.3vdc should work nice

I just ordered the Hubsan chute to try. It is designed for the X4 pro high version which weighs 1420g without chute assembly. The P3 pro weighs in at 1280g with battery. So it should be plenty O chute??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures