M.A.R.S lite parachute kit

With a mayday board to move the servo that holds the lid closed.
Just remember, you could still go with a "tilt" switch or "G force switch" like I have already posted here about, I for one have a lot more flying equipment than just a Phantom, but I'd be sent to the "poor-house" if I had to buy a Mars/Mayday combo for them all !!

but I'd be sent to the "poor-house" if I had to buy a Mars/Mayday combo for them all !!
Ya I could see that getting expensive quick esp if you also had a separate mayday board for each one to. BUT atleast thats some thing that can be mounted with Velcro and easily swapped from one craft to the other. and some way of haveing an easy way to swap a chute system in to some kind of mount that one would just need a different mount depending on what craft they wanted to carry the chute over to and put it on with out a lot off fuss or hassle. I have a few ideas for the tube style thing were it could just clip in to the mount and the chute its self would attack to some anchor point on the craft and not relying on the chute just being attacked to the bottom of the tube launcher which is turn has to take the brunt of the tug on the tube and its mount like the mars mini does. Its a critical engineering flaw that puts all the strain on the bottom part that closes off the bottom of the tube and is screwed on to the mount. If that every breaks that's the only thing holding a phantom to the chute and it seems as if its just press fit and glued in to the bottom end of the tube. When they should of had it so the string for the chute line comes out the bottom and loops around the mount so that even if the tube breaks away from the mount in a deployment its still going to stay with the craft the whole time no matter what.

I was able to trace out a basic profile for the p3s legs last night and next I will do one for a p1 and 2. Then once I have them and a way to mount to any phantom then I can start thinking about how the chute thing can attach to the mounts and also be easy detached. Right now I'm thinking of some thing along the lines of a split ring or two that a tube chute can just clip in to. Then some place on the mount that the chutes main line hooks to on the mount.

I may even reconsider my no carbon rule in my shop and might even try machining some carbon fiber sheet now that I can also use my files to make a cutting path for milling them on my cnc milling machine. I just hate how brutal it is on tooling as well as the conductive dust it makes gets all over the place and its also very abrasive and is going to give me flashbacks to when I used to work a lot of graphite for custom glass blowing tools that I used to make. Carbon dust would get every were and even all inside my machines. I also had to keep any vents on any motors sealed off with tape to keep the abrasive and conductive dust out of my motors which presents its own set of problems with motors that like to get hot if they dont get any air flow threw them.

So interesting, I flew a couple of flights today and on the last flight, mid-flight the backpack battery finally went dead. This was not intentional but was my faught as I did not top up the battery before my flights today. Good news is that I know positively system was armed but no deployment. So I can only wonder why sitting stationary on the table it will deploy when the battery cuts out but not while moving about? Either way thought I would share.

So interesting, I flew a couple of flights today and on the last flight, mid-flight the backpack battery finally went dead. This was not intentional but was my faught as I did not top up the battery before my flights today. Good news is that I know positively system was armed but no deployment. So I can only wonder why sitting stationary on the table it will deploy when the battery cuts out but not while moving about? Either way thought I would share.
Hmm that's interesting, so it stayed in the locked position after going dead? are you using the battery backpack from UAV North?

Yea, I'd like to know if it was from UAV North also, Kyle refunded me on their pack and said they were coming out with a replacement, I'd test that pack again before ya fly just to be on the safe side......I don't know how you test your two-cell, I check mine off the balance lead, I don't let either get below 3.5vdc, normal recharge at 3.7vdc

Last edited:
No, I'm still using the original mars battery backpack. Version one I guess you would call it.

No, I'm still using the original Mars battery backpack. Version one I guess you would call it.
Actually, Mars Parachutes doesn't make any electronics at the moment! If it is a battery that plugs into the Mayday with a charge/discharge switch, then it was most likely made by North UAV.
(I don't want to drag Mars into this battery mess!)

Anyone who ordered a Batt Pack from NUAV should receive a new one in the mail by Wednesday or Thursday next week! (Battery life increased to 6 hrs and max output power [from the battery] rated at about 5 amps.)

Last edited:
No such thing exists. If it is a battery that plugs into the Mayday with a charge/discharge switch, then it was made by North UAV. Mars Parachutes doesn't do circuit design, for now.

You should receive a new Battery Backpack in the mail by Wednesday next week! (Battery life increased to 6 hrs.)
Thanks for the correction, Sorry about my mistake. Overall still very satisfied with the product. Getting an updated part will just be icing on the cake.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Thanks for the correction, Sorry about my mistake. Overall still very satisfied with the product. Getting an updated part will just be icing on the cake.
No worries! ;) The documentation and marketing are kind of lame at the moment for the Mayday. Things should get a bit clearer soon!

You might have received one of the Battery Backpacks with a different version of the Li-ion cell inside. We used two different suppliers because we simply couldn't get enough of them in time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbundy63
Couldn't resist bumping this thread.. So..... How'd these work out for you guys? [emoji23]

I took mine off recently as I was playing with distance flying over unpopulated area after my antenna mod. Wanted to see if it made a big difference or not. Thinking I'm going to end up getting two birds. One with chute for going over houses ect.. and the other dedicated to battery mod and distance.

Thinking I'm going to end up getting two birds. One with chute for going over houses ect.. and the other dedicated to battery mod and distance.

Nice. Which antenna mod did you go with? Is your second bird gonna be another P3 or a 4?

Went on Maxxuav.com and purchased the ItElite MaxxRange full kit. The difference was night and day. Then for experimentation and future ideas with different antenna ideas I purchased the DJI-EVO Kit from the same place as well. As far as a second bird I've decided to look for a p3a. Gets me the lightbridge and I should be able to pair existing tx with it.

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
Hello,

Anyone hear any update from Kyle O Rourke about a battery backpack for the mayday board? I'm really waiting for one to come out. I am using an external rechargeable battery. I'm a bit worried about the issues I've been reading about the mayday board and so far I have only been flying with the pin installed in the parachute with the mayday board on. Every time I land I check to make sure the servo hasn't fired. I will be flying like this for a while till I have complete confidence in the mayday board.
IMG_8970.JPG
IMG_8969.JPG
IMG_8968.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20