M.A.R.S lite parachute kit

img-4223-jpg_1430237538.jpg

I have the 3d print files for this one here and thought about making one of them and using it with a mayday instead of going with the mars chute already made and ready to go. Esp being I didn't want to also have to break out the sewing machine and make my own chute to. and have to design a mount for it to fit on a p2 or p3.

So the $2 for 3 switch dohickys are just an electrical component that gets soldered in line some place from a battery to an electric powered release of some kind?????? For so reason every time I seem tiny unfocused pics of them the way the one lead looks to be bent like a hook of some kind. Sort of made me think they were some sort of mechanical devise that would cause that hook thing to move or some thing like that.. But now its clear its not any thing like that. I have a few things that dont relate to drones but could see them as being a good solution for esp being they need to be a sealed unit and not a mercury switch.

So the $2 for 3 switch dohickys are just an electrical component that gets soldered in line some place from a battery to an electric powered release of some kind?????? For so reason every time I seem tiny unfocused pics of them the way the one lead looks to be bent like a hook of some kind. Sort of made me think they were some sort of mechanical devise that would cause that hook thing to move or some thing like that.. But now its clear its not any thing like that. I have a few things that dont relate to drones but could see them as being a good solution for esp being they need to be a sealed unit and not a mercury switch.
They would work only if quad was at >80 degree roll

They would work only if quad was at >80 degree roll
Ya I could see that being problematic if someone quad just drops but stays relatively level or atleast not pitched a full 80 or degrees from horizontal as its dropping out of the sky.

I'm interested in the MARS P3 Lite. It's just like the "36 lite" but has a carbon fiber mount made for the P3's. It's only 36 grams. That's a huge improvement over the Mars Mini for $160.

I don't think it's worth $99 for a parachute, a servo, and a mounting plate... Anyone know a person who does 3D printing? Shouldn't be too hard to build one?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm interested in the MARS P3 Lite. It's just like the "36 lite" but has a carbon fiber mount made for the P3's. It's only 36 grams. That's a huge improvement over the Mars Mini for $160.

I don't think it's worth $99 for a parachute, a servo, and a mounting plate... Anyone know a person who does 3D printing? Shouldn't be too hard to build one?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm in if we find one, there has to be some one on this forum that has one and wants to become rich making chute parts for us !!
Here are some good chutes if you don't want to make them;
Spherachutes Parachutes

Here is one of the best sites I have found if we can find a person with a printer !!
Parachutes are Cool! - DIY Multirotor Parachute

If anyone finds more, post them here should be ok ?

Last edited:
Ok so word from Kyle at Northern UAV is that a firmware update is in the works to allow the Mayday to perform a manual deployment. Cool? Oh yes, I think so.

Anyone know a person who does 3D printing? Shouldn't be too hard to build one?

I'm in if we find one, there has to be some one on this forum that has one and wants to become rich making chute parts for us !!
Here are some good chutes if you don't want to make them;
Spherachutes Parachutes

Here is one of the best sites I have found if we can find a person with a printer !!
Parachutes are Cool! - DIY Multirotor Parachute

I just so happen to to have a 3d printer.

Last communication I had regarding that was that they were working on a solution and would be replacing the ones already shipped out.

I got the same infor........
"We plan to upgrade the Battery Backpack's design to include a larger battery, and a microprocessor-controlled power management system so that the power will not continuously cycle when the battery is depleted. We will be sending replacements to everyone who has already received their battery backpack." My pack works just fine as long as I keep it charged....lol

I wouldnt mind doing a few parts. Tho off hand I have no idea what to charge being I've never really have done any printing for any one but my self. But it would mostly depend on the size and density of the items being printed and how much material used.

and also I can print some thing pretty easy if its some thing some one else already has files and just needs some thing printed out for them. But one thing I dont have is any real good design or cad software to do a lot of complex 3d shapes from scratch.

Reactions: Noble 1
I wouldnt mind doing a few parts. Tho off hand I have no idea what to charge being I've never really have done any printing for any one but my self. But it would mostly depend on the size and density of the items being printed and how much material used.

and also I can print some thing pretty easy if its some thing some one else already has files and just needs some thing printed out for them. But one thing I dont have is any real good design or cad software to do a lot of complex 3d shapes from scratch.
Just an example, I can do some CAD also, I just don't have a printer yet, I may by years end. I'd like to have some P3 mounts made but maybe it would be best made from carbon filber
DIY Multirotor Parachute System by AverageguyRC < This was 3oz which is a little too much weight

For a 3d printed item if that thing is 3oz thats freaking heavy. and they might of printed it to densely. Or that might be the finished weight. with the spring and chute. If so thats not to bad considering a mars mimi v2 comes in at 99grams.

Carbon fiber might even be a bit of over kill on a chute system Being it only needs to be strong enough to hold the compressed spring and if any thing its the mount point or more so the attachment point that the chute is attacked to on the craft that needs to be the real strong point.

In the right plastic such as pla which tends to be strong and flexible. Some 3 prints can be pretty tuff in a horizontal plane. Even if its printed in lower density.. Which is one nice thing about 3 printed items is that it can be solid on the out side shells and have the centers filled in a honey comb like pattern.

I have some stuff today that Im going to be in and out of the house and so I might not be able to do it today. but I could maybe run some test prints of that chute systems parts tomorrow or Monday and I can see what kind of weight and strength I can get out of some diffident print density's.. I have the files for that chute launcher and a few others in my folder of printable drone stuff.
I also have 1 or 2 other kinds that are more like the mars light chute holder that goes on some thing that's sort of like a gimbal saver accost the bottom of the landing gear on the phantoms. That one looks like it could be done very light and yet still strong. For someone that dont need a tube lauched chute.

and even on that tube one that can be 3d printed. that wire he used for the spring could also im sure shave some weight off if a thinner gauge wire was used but only in real spring steel or harden to be spring steel after its coiled. Which is some thing I have heat treating equipment in my metal shop and could play around with.. I also know of a plastic called instamorph that makes awesome light weight springs that are strong and dont break even with 1000s of flexes. Even sense I seen these tube chute launchers I have been wondering if maybe I better and lighter plastic spring could maybe be used to replace a heavy steel spring. If so it might be a big time weight savings.

Carbon fiber is for low weight, yea I think it someone could just get the total costs down a lot of people would be using them more safely, right now these co's are shafting us bad on their price alot like DJI is doing with their $149 "proprietary" battery !!

Just an example, I can do some CAD also, I just don't have a printer yet, I may by years end. I'd like to have some P3 mounts made but maybe it would be best made from carbon filber
DIY Multirotor Parachute System by AverageguyRC < This was 3oz which is a little too much weight

I did get some time to spit out a fast and dirty test print on one of them in PLA and 30% infill which comes in at 29.1 grams for the ring,lid and spring plate. and with a full length pounce cat treat tube to fit a 42 inch chute. brings the weight up to 50.1 grams. plus the weight of a chute,spring and servo.

But Next I will try a 10% infilled one and see who much can be shaved off the plastic parts weight. and the pounce tube can be cut shorter of only for a 36 or 38 inch chute. So some more weight can be taken off.

I did get some time to spit out a fast and dirty test print on one of them in PLA and 30% infill which comes in at 29.1 grams for the ring,lid and spring plate. and with a full length pounce cat treat tube to fit a 42 inch chute. brings the weight up to 50.1 grams. plus the weight of a chute,spring and servo.

But Next I will try a 10% infilled one and see who much can be shaved off the plastic parts weight. and the pounce tube can be cut shorter of only for a 36 or 38 inch chute. So some more weight can be taken off.
That's cool ! Don't be afraid to post some photo's here, I'm sure their is a lot of us with the same thinking !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94