It's official: Follow-me, Waypoints, and POI coming to all Phantom models

I always found waypoints very boring and pretty useless.

Couldn't disagree more. One of the primary reasons I kept my P2v+ after I got my P3P was to have a bird that did waypoints.

Very useful for flights within battery range, but outside controller range. Especially if you have a Flytrex to keep an eye on the automated flight route. I live in a fairly populated suburb of Boston, and while I only fly autonomous over golf courses, empty land, etc, I often have poor LoS from my house, and very large amounts of interference in the 2.4 GHz ISM band. Hence waypoint based flights are key for getting certain shots/flight paths.

Reactions: hot dog
Certain shots? How do you shoot out of video range??

"Waypoint actions".

Litchi (and any other SDK apps) can set actions at a waypoint. Can set the bird yaw, camera pitch, then take a shot, all via on-board autopilot. Up to 100 waypoints.

Or if you just want video throughout, start recording before you start the waypoint mission. Easy as that.

And since I have a flytrex, I can monitor the bearing, location, altitude, and battery volts all from my phone, even when the bird is out of controller range.

Reactions: ViperNuke
@Mal_PV2_Ireland
The old mission software did not do much but the new SDK stuff (like Litchi mentioned above) is quite powerful and does complex things I cant do manually. I just was messing around today and sent the P3 on a mission up towards a new housing development with 3 Points of interest and a couple cable cams. The thing flew the mission which was about a mile away and dropped down and rotated around points of interest and then did the cable cams between way-points. The P3 rotated as it moved along the cable and tilted the camera to maintain focus as it went by.

The computer can make a much more fluid shot than you can with your fingers !

@Mal_PV2_Ireland
The old mission software did not do much but the new SDK stuff (like Litchi mentioned above) is quite powerful and does complex things I cant do manually. I just was messing around today and sent the P3 on a mission up towards a new housing development with 3 Points of interest and a couple cable cams. The thing flew the mission which was about a mile away and dropped down and rotated around points of interest and then did the cable cams between way-points. The P3 rotated as it moved along the cable and tilted the camera to maintain focus as it went by.

That sounds AWESOME! They just need an iOS app.

Yeah. +1 on the iOS app. How hard is litchi to program for things like that?

@Mal_PV2_Ireland

Sounds good man!

@Mal_PV2_Ireland

I just posted up the leaked p3p/a and inspire beta firmware with way points, poi and follow me. I haven't posted up the apps but the release notes are interesting to read all the same

Yes!!!! It is real! Doubters and scoffers step aside. Reading release notes as I speak. Now way in hell am I installing the beta.

I just posted up the leaked p3p/a and inspire beta firmware with way points, poi and follow me. I haven't posted up the apps but the release notes are interesting to read all the same
The reason they read the same is because they are. Your post was to the developer sdk that guys like litchi use :)

@Mal_PV2_Ireland

Have to agree with you there, I've been using Litchi as well just like you for the last 2 weeks. I have to say that the GS is unbelievable. I still like flying manual but to put waypoints in and actions to to see the bird just "do it" is awesome to me. I did some video's of the waypoint with POI focus feature around my local neighbourhood and it is great. I'm not interested in my neighbours but i have some nice parklands nearby where i can get some great video. Here is a link:

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Yeah. +1 on the iOS app. How hard is litchi to program for things like that?

They are doing a lot of dev work on there Android app at the moment with 1-2 releases a week so it is progressing fast. He is a great dev and never seen a faster response to questions and enhancements. Problem with Apple is they are just so hard to please, I'm sure a IOS version could be in the works but for now we will just need to settle with Litchi for Android and Autopilot for IOS.

Again Litchi is going well because his alpha/beta testing is not necessary as closed off as Autopilot is. I joined a few weeks ago with little problem and the amount of shared information in the google group is great. I am assuming that Autopilot's closed beta group wouldn't be getting the same amount of feedback but then again i may be wrong.

Thanks for posting that.I was just coming back here to tell Mal I would try to post something to show him!

I signed up for the autopilot beta and by the time I got around to it I went to download the FW and the beta expired

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures