It's official: Follow-me, Waypoints, and POI coming to all Phantom models

Doesn't the FAA require line of sight flying (as does the UK CAA)? If you have poor LOS shouldn't you be flying somewhere else? Just asking.

Not yet. Its only a recommendation along with the 400' alt limit.

Not to open a can of worms, but "line of sight" is a poorly understood term. Strictly speaking, LOS does NOT actually require you to be able to see your copter, although it is generally a good idea to be able to see it while flying. Can anyone really see their phantom when it is 3000-4000 feet away?

Not to open a can of worms, but "line of sight" is a poorly understood term. Strictly speaking, LOS does NOT actually require you to be able to see your copter, although it is generally a good idea to be able to see it while flying. Can anyone really see their phantom when it is 3000-4000 feet away?

When the government ends up getting involved it will be clear and not the LOS used in radio terms. I am thinking they will call it maintain visual or something.

Depending on how you look at it Line of site can be a LONG way.

Reactions: JohnK
Ground station missions need to be flown first, and way points marked manually during the flight. The mission can be named and saved and reflown later. Discuss.

Ground station missions need to be flown first, and way points marked manually during the flight. The mission can be named and saved and reflown later. Discuss.

That is what I heard.

That has its merits for some but not going to work for a lot of people !

That is what I heard.

That has its merits for some but not going to work for a lot of people !
Yeah. There's some confusion between waypoints and ground station. The former is exactly what this is, the latter implies setting the mission from the ground station. This way is definitely a cover-your-*** implementation.

Yeah. There's some confusion between waypoints and ground station. The former is exactly what this is, the latter implies setting the mission from the ground station. This way is definitely a cover-your-*** implementation.
I am anxious to see it. I know what the current SDK will do and am quite pleased with missions using Litchi.

If the Go App has a quicker method of doing a cable cam I might try it as Litchi has not implemented full camera adjustment/control yet.

Reactions: JBG
I am anxious to see it. I know what the current SDK will do and am quite pleased with missions using Litchi.

If the Go App has a quicker method of doing a cable cam I might try it as Litchi has not implemented full camera adjustment/control yet.
I think for this specific function, the GO app will probably be pretty good, other than having to fly the mission manually to create the waypoints.

Just wait till you see the distance limitations on waypoints! I doubt anyone will be happy!
I was talking with my son about all this news at lunch today - first words out of his mouth were, "wonder what distance limits they will place on the waypoint flying?" I had figured there would be no limits...obviously the limits will involve maintaining a clean connection to the controller - certainly not autonomous flight which is often equated as waypoint flying. If this were the case (limited by a connection to the controller) it would be great since so many of us can fly way yonder beyond the 3K distances if we want to. However, I suspect the limit will be much closer than that....hope I'm wrong.

The limitations have nothing to do with connectivity. The "mission" is uploaded to the P3, and then executed. Technically, the controller could be shut off and you could go have a beer while its out flying.

Reactions: JBG
But wouldn't that be taking chances with a DWI??

Seriously, so in this case if you are correct, it is autonomous flight.

The limitations have nothing to do with connectivity. The "mission" is uploaded to the P3, and then executed. Technically, the controller could be shut off and you could go have a beer while its out flying.
Are you talking about the SDK or the Go app? It was my understanding either the Go App range was really limited or you had to maintain connectivity ?

But wouldn't that be taking chances with a DWI??

Seriously, so in this case if you are correct, it is autonomous flight.
Are you talking about the SDK or the Go app? It was my understanding either the Go App range was really limited or you had to maintain connectivity ?
I'm speaking from the BETA perspective. And specifically the App. Litchi and AutoPilot have both far better waypoint implementation. But I think that's the case because DJI is playing the safe role, which totally makes sense. They have a huge liability issue, where 3rd party developers have almost none.

OK. with you on that.

Doesn't the FAA require line of sight flying (as does the UK CAA)? If you have poor LOS shouldn't you be flying somewhere else? Just asking.

Put some really bright lights on it so you can see it miles away. That's how I solve that problem.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart