It's official: Follow-me, Waypoints, and POI coming to all Phantom models

I think line of sight is not just seeing the bird but not flying around big buildings or down into people's yards where you couldn't see your bird with a direct line of sight

That's correct, but the definition is changing to mean "visible" through usage.. You don't have to see something for it to be in line of sight, but it has to be in line of sight in order to see it.

Line of sight actually implies that the receiver is in a direct uninterrupted radio wave line with the transmitter. You may not be able to see it visually because of the distance. Legally, it has come to mean that you can actually see your UAV.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tried Point of Interest and it worked great!
Here's my experiment with Follow Me. Also worked pretty well.
I'm in the red truck with the remote and GPS enabled tablet.
Yeah, my kids (and dogs) are in the back of the truck as spotters. We're just driving about in our neighborhood, and no, I don't drive with people in the back of the truck on open roads.... It was a treat for them.

I tried Point of Interest and it worked great!
Here's my experiment with Follow Me. Also worked pretty well.
I'm in the red truck with the remote and GPS enabled tablet.
Yeah, my kids (and dogs) are in the back of the truck as spotters. We're just driving about in our neighborhood, and no, I don't drive with people in the back of the truck on open roads.... It was a treat for them.
This is why, beyond testing, I don't think Follow Me will be useful to most people. A truck at 100 feet away driving 15mph is just not very interesting.

This is why, beyond testing, I don't think Follow Me will be useful to most people. A truck at 100 feet away driving 15mph is just not very interesting.
I see it being useful for our industry to drive along an overland conveyor belt (about 2-3 miles) or rail way, or Levy system, etc. taking pictures and or video for terrain mapping or inspections. Lots of practical applications for us! This keeps the whole "line of sight" thing in play.
I do agree, the video I posted is not terribly exciting. o_O And, granted, other than long borders, skiers, mountain bikers and such, this may not be a widely used feature.

And, granted, other than long borders, skiers, mountain bikers and such, this may not be a widely used feature.
Problem with those activities that they go downhill and the P3 won't fly downhill automatically. Also, those people still need to carry an exposed remote (using the DJI app).

I'm sure a few people have a use for Follow Me but it appears that they need to own a slow train or something. :)

Problem with those activities that they go downhill and the P3 won't fly downhill automatically. Also, those people still need to carry an exposed remote (using the DJI app).

I'm sure a few people have a use for Follow Me but it appears that they need to own a slow train or something. :)

No off roading in the jeep.... Desert environments 10 to 20 miles an hour. Maybe 100 ft or 130 for most applications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic