It's official: Follow-me, Waypoints, and POI coming to all Phantom models

If it hasn't already been mentioned, a great use for waypoint flying is for most pilots who want to go out beyond where they might not have radio control. Or, even if they DO have radio control, this prevents loss of RC accidents. Sure, you have to have some faith that it will fly its route and return back, but people have been sending out their Phantom 2's for awhile now with Ground Station and it works fine. Waypoint flying gives me security of knowing I can set a route out a few miles, let it fly and take video, and if I happen to lose RC or video, at least it should be heading back my way soon, not RTH through a tree or whatever. Of course, you have to carefully plan your route and account for things like water-towers, airports, etc.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, a great use for waypoint flying is for most pilots who want to go out beyond where they might not have radio control. Or, even if they DO have radio control, this prevents loss of RC accidents. Sure, you have to have some faith that it will fly its route and return back, but people have been sending out their Phantom 2's for awhile now with Ground Station and it works fine. Waypoint flying gives me security of knowing I can set a route out a few miles, let it fly and take video, and if I happen to lose RC or video, at least it should be heading back my way soon, not RTH through a tree or whatever. Of course, you have to carefully plan your route and account for things like water-towers, airports, etc.
Dont get your hopes up!

Dont get your hopes up!

Of course they're going to release it. It's in the official promo video for the P3S. Is it going to work as expected?? Who knows. Ground Station works great. Is it going to be soon?? Who knows. So, overall, yes. I'm not getting my hopes up.

The Phantom won't initiate a RTH at the point it can't communicate with the RC?

The Phantom won't initiate a RTH at the point it can't communicate with the RC?

With Ground Station, it does NOT RTH even with RC disconnect. This allows it to fly its planned route without interruption. It shouldn't care whether the RC is connected. Hopefully, they design waypoints here the same as with the Phantom 2 GS.

Reactions: SENC
With Ground Station, it does NOT RTH even with RC disconnect. This allows it to fly its planned route without interruption. It shouldn't care whether the RC is connected. Hopefully, they design waypoints here the same as with the Phantom 2 GS.
I can't speak for the dji go implementation, but expect the firmware to support what you suggest as that is the way the third party implementations of the beta sdk firmware are operating (the mission continues after rc disconnect).

If you can't say anything, then why post in the first place?

There is an old adage that is on point. Better to say nothing and have folks think you're an idiot than to speak and prove it.
If I had promised something and failed to deliver, in whatever form, then I would agree

That would be really awesome.

Exactly what I said... cant say more
DJI has more than likely disabled ground station if you loose contact. I would bet it will only work when you are in range, otherwise return home. That's what I extrapolate from your comment. if it were to do autonomous flight, DJI would be responsible for such feature. Basically, they have dumbed down the feature. So, third party applications would probably be able to allow for autonomous flight and disable the RTH should disconnect occur.

Reactions: Michaelangelo
Dji way points will more than likely only be able to be plotted within 500-700m max to comply with aviation authority guidelines around the world. Don't be expecting it to work miles away from you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3