HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

Airplane mode would turn off cellular, wifi, and Bluetooth. Since you have wifi-only iPad, cellular is not applicable here. But while in airplane mode, you still can turn on wifi and Bluetooth [emoji1]
Ok yes that is true but if I turn on airplane mode then have to go back and turn on wifi again (remember I'm flying a standard so I have to use wifi for video downlink) and Bluetooth has been turned off the whole time (both with airplane mode off and on) why does it make a difference? That's what I don't understand. It does though make a huge difference from non usable to almost 0 latency. I'm mean I'm just happy as all heck that it works I was just curious as to why it works. There's got be a good explanation for it.

With airplane mode on no problems at all.
These are just suggested tips that work for most people. If airplane mode on works better for you, then go with it :)

These are just suggested tips that work for most people. If airplane mode on works better for you, then go with it :)
It was based on your suggested tips that did turn on the airplane mode and I agree always go with what works. You seemed to be one of the more knowledgeable pilots on here. My question is why does it work? Airplane mode on is used to turn off wifi, cellular and Bluetooth correct? So being that it's a wifi tablet only and I do not have Bluetooth turned on even with airplane mode turned off and I have to go back and turn wifi on anyway so I have the video downlink (flying a P3 Standard). So with all that said the questions stands as to why does it work? Just courious as to what other signals the airplane mode can be eliminating to make the difference.

Just courious as to what other signals the airplane mode can be eliminating to make the difference.
You can read more about what Apple says it does here. The idea behind disabling it is that it frees up resources being used by unneeded features on the device.

My understanding was that is was more helpful using a phone. That way things like text messages and such wouldn't come through and interfere with flying...
Just my thought...

I don't understand about flipping to Airplane Mode. When I do that, I lose the link between the Phantom and the controller .... because you're shutting off the wifi. Please explain.
Exactly as msinger said. It will shut it off but you can turn it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

> original iPads

I got an old iPad mini 1 A1432 bundled with my Canon 6D. AFAIR it didn't run DJI GO app last summer so we have used iPhone 6 until now for that.

But a few weeks ago I was surprised to find out DJI GO installed on the old iPad.

DJI GO app and Litchi do "run" on this old iPad ... sort of... the screen update is SLOW. But I did I got some stunning footage with Litchi a few days ago. But (after the coincidental recent DJI FW update) Litchi today had some obscure error messages before correctly executing the mission OK after all.

Being a cheapskate (with a Mac Plus in the basement...) I always try to postpone any HW purchases. So I have tried to fine-tune that old iPad to work with the DJI P3P (I might try some chicken voodoo). But I'm soon ready to admit my failure at that.

So: I may need to get a new mobile device to run the DJI P3P. New iPads might very soon be announced. What screen size would you suggest? Is the 7.9" iPad mini the sweet spot for DJI? Or a bigger 9.7" iPad? Or the iPad Pro 12.9"??

Last edited:
> original iPads

I got an old iPad mini 1 A1432 bundled with my Canon 6D. AFAIR it didn't run DJI GO app last summer so we have used iPhone 6 until now for that.

But a few weeks ago I was surprised to find out DJI GO installed on the old iPad.

DJI GO app and Litchi do "run" on this old iPad ... sort of... the screen update is SLOW. But I did I got some stunning footage with Litchi a few days ago. But (after the coincidental recent DJI FW update) Litchi today had some obscure error messages before correctly executing the mission OK after all.

Being a cheapskate (with a Mac Plus in the basement...) I always try to postpone any HW purchases. So I have tried to fine-tune that old iPad to work with the DJI P3P (I might try some chicken voodoo). But I'm soon ready to admit my failure at that.

So: I may need to get a new mobile device to run the DJI P3P. New iPads might very soon be announced. What screen size would you suggest? Is the 7.9" iPad mini the sweet spot for DJI? Or a bigger 9.7" iPad? Or the iPad Pro 12.9"??
I use iPad Air 9.7. Fits perfect and excellent screen. That is when I'm not using goggles on my iPhone 6

> original iPads

The older iOS devices were suddenly (and without notice) able to download the GO app starting with version 2.4. As you noted though, with some difficulty due to being underpowered.
GO 2.4 now downloads to older Apple devices

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and GadgetGuy
I bought an Apple iPad mini 2 MF066LL/A (Retina/2nd Gen, Wi-Fi/Cellular) to use with my P3P and DJI Go app. It didn't come with a sim card. Will I need one?

You'll only need a sim card if you want to use the cellular connection. The GPS receiver will work even if you don't set up the cellular service.

I bought an Apple iPad mini 2 MF066LL/A (Retina/2nd Gen, Wi-Fi/Cellular) to use with my P3P and DJI Go app. It didn't come with a sim card. Will I need one?
No you don't need one; GPS still works without a SIM card. For the map, just cache the area you plan to fly in the DJI Go app with wifi connected before you go out. Remember to enable "Cache map in the background in the app" before caching it.

Thanks msinger. I wasn't sure.

If you have an active iPhone with a SIM card in it, you can pop it out and put it into the Mini2, and then put it back into the phone later, if you don't want to pay extra to use the iPhone as a HotSpot in the field for map downloads.:cool:

Reactions: Lefty63
If you have an active iPhone with a SIM card in it, you can pop it out and put it into the Mini2, and then put it back into the phone later, if you don't want to pay extra to use the iPhone as a HotSpot in the field for map downloads.:cool:

I wondered if the sim card from my iphone 5 would fit. Looks as though it will. Great idea GadgetGuy, thanks.

Thanks for all this useful Info, Noted.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here are some tips to help ensure the DJI GO app is able to run as smoothly as possible on your Apple device:

1) In the iOS Settings, turn on Airplane Mode if you do not need to access the Internet to download maps or stream to YouTube. If you're using a phone, this will also ensure that you're not interrupted by a phone call and/or text message as you're flying.

Note: For the P3S, you'll need to turn on Wi-Fi after turning on airplane mode -- since turning on airplane mode turns off Wi-Fi..

View attachment 25214

2) In the "General" --> "Usage" section of the iOS Settings, verify that you have at least 1GB of storage space available. If you're low on available storage space, uninstall apps that you're no longer using and/or remove all unneeded photos/videos from your device.

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

3) Shut down all apps that you're not actively using. To close running apps, double tap the Apple Home button and touch and flick the apps you'd like to close toward the top of the screen. Keep in mind that apps will always be running in the background after launched until you manually close them or restart your Apple device.

4) In the "General" --> "Background App Refresh" section of the iOS Settings, turn off the Background App Refresh feature. This will ensure that any running apps are not doing unnecessary work as you're flying in the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

5) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting. This will allow the Apple device's GPU to be used to decode the video stream -- as opposed to the slower method of decoding via software.

View attachment 25220

6) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting. This setting must also be enabled before you're able to cache maps if you normally fly when disconnected from the Internet.

View attachment 25221

7) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, set the "Video Cache" setting to "Disabled" if you are not planning on using the DJI GO Director feature to create videos from your recorded video clips.

View attachment 25222

8) If it's hot outside, it's best to remove your iPad from its case (if it's in one). It'll generate a lot of heat while you're flying, so you want to make sure it's well ventilated.

Got any other tips to add? Please share them below :)

Doesn't enabling Airplane mode also disconnect the GPS antenna in the iPhone? The GPS is critical when setting a home point to your current location.

Reactions: Jack1926

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z