HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

Closing all apps and restarting the iPad before I leave to go fly is the biggest thing for me. After that I cache the maps I want to use and flip to airplane mode.

Great guide, btw.
Just a question .. how do you cache maps ... do you load up the 'place ' where you intend flying and then shut down the Go App?

Just a question .. how do you cache maps ... do you load up the 'place ' where you intend flying and then shut down the Go App?
Yes, but you don't need to shut down the DJI GO app. If it's the only app running, leave it open. However, if you do close it, the downloaded cached maps will survive for at least a week or so.

Here are some tips to help ensure the DJI GO app is able to run as smoothly as possible on your Apple device:

1) In the iOS Settings, turn on Airplane Mode if you do not need to access the Internet to download maps or stream to YouTube. If you're using a phone, this will also ensure that you're not interrupted by a phone call and/or text message as you're flying.

Note: For the P3S, you'll need to turn on Wi-Fi after turning on airplane mode -- since turning on airplane mode turns off Wi-Fi..

View attachment 25214

2) In the "General" --> "Usage" section of the iOS Settings, verify that you have at least 1GB of storage space available. If you're low on available storage space, uninstall apps that you're no longer using and/or remove all unneeded photos/videos from your device.

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

3) Shut down all apps that you're not actively using. To close running apps, double tap the Apple Home button and touch and flick the apps you'd like to close toward the top of the screen. Keep in mind that apps will always be running in the background after launched until you manually close them or restart your Apple device.

4) In the "General" --> "Background App Refresh" section of the iOS Settings, turn off the Background App Refresh feature. This will ensure that any running apps are not doing unnecessary work as you're flying in the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

Thanks so much for the list... I'm kind of a techie (18+ years as a CIO) but a lot of the things you covered were always a mystery to me.

5) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting. This will allow the Apple device's GPU to be used to decode the video stream -- as opposed to the slower method of decoding via software.

View attachment 25220

6) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting. This setting must also be enabled before you're able to cache maps if you normally fly when disconnected from the Internet.

View attachment 25221

7) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, set the "Video Cache" setting to "Disabled" if you are not planning on using the DJI GO Director feature to create videos from your recorded video clips.

View attachment 25222

8) If it's hot outside, it's best to remove your iPad from its case (if it's in one). It'll generate a lot of heat while you're flying, so you want to make sure it's well ventilated.

Got any other tips to add? Please share them below :)

Reactions: JoeNewbe
Here are some tips to help ensure the DJI GO app is able to run as smoothly as possible on your Apple device:

1) In the iOS Settings, turn on Airplane Mode if you do not need to access the Internet to download maps or stream to YouTube. If you're using a phone, this will also ensure that you're not interrupted by a phone call and/or text message as you're flying.

Note: For the P3S, you'll need to turn on Wi-Fi after turning on airplane mode -- since turning on airplane mode turns off Wi-Fi..

View attachment 25214

2) In the "General" --> "Usage" section of the iOS Settings, verify that you have at least 1GB of storage space available. If you're low on available storage space, uninstall apps that you're no longer using and/or remove all unneeded photos/videos from your device.

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

3) Shut down all apps that you're not actively using. To close running apps, double tap the Apple Home button and touch and flick the apps you'd like to close toward the top of the screen. Keep in mind that apps will always be running in the background after launched until you manually close them or restart your Apple device.

4) In the "General" --> "Background App Refresh" section of the iOS Settings, turn off the Background App Refresh feature. This will ensure that any running apps are not doing unnecessary work as you're flying in the DJI Pilot application.

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

5) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting. This will allow the Apple device's GPU to be used to decode the video stream -- as opposed to the slower method of decoding via software.

View attachment 25220

6) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting. This setting must also be enabled before you're able to cache maps if you normally fly when disconnected from the Internet.

View attachment 25221

7) In the "General Settings" section of the DJI GO app, set the "Video Cache" setting to "Disabled" if you are not planning on using the DJI GO Director feature to create videos from your recorded video clips.

View attachment 25222

8) If it's hot outside, it's best to remove your iPad from its case (if it's in one). It'll generate a lot of heat while you're flying, so you want to make sure it's well ventilated.

Thanks for posting this. Good to know that I can still use my iPhone 7 but plan to buy a mini iPad solely to fly. It'll make it easier for me.

I just got my Phanton 3 4K a few weeks ago. With all of this talk about flying in the 90 degree weather and heating up, I am afraid of whats going to happen when I take out my Phantom in the nice cool summer's of AZ hanging out around 115 degrees HA!

I just got my Phanton 3 4K a few weeks ago. With all of this talk about flying in the 90 degree weather and heating up, I am afraid of whats going to happen when I take out my Phantom in the nice cool summer's of AZ hanging out around 115 degrees HA!

Fly in the morning...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

View attachment 25214

View attachment 25215

View attachment 25216

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

View attachment 25220

View attachment 25221

View attachment 25222

Can you do a how to for android?

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Digdat0
I have an ipad air 2 and found out yesterday what happens when there is no storage space left on it. As I took photos and videos throughout the flight I got the "Insufficient DJI Device Storage" message a few times. I was flying back to the home point (and was out over water) when I got the "Aircraft disconnected" msg and the screen went black. Was unable to reconnect and had a few tense moments until I heard the P4 coming back, and then landing on the HP in front of me. The track from the time it disconnected until it landed does not show up in DJI Go or Airdata
Lost Signal.jpg

I had been out flying earlier in the day, shot a lot of video, and forgot to delete it from the ipad. Time to disable caching on the ipad and learned that not having sufficient storage room on your ipad can totally disable your ability to control your drone, fortunately not the hard way.

Reactions: JoeNewbe
Is there a setting in the app where you can delete oldest to record the newest video?

P3S. I ran out of media storage on the camera SD card and it just stopped recording with no other symptoms.
Im not sure what happens if you go beyond your cash. Seems strange lack of cash should cause aircraft handling problems.

I have an ipad air 2 and found out yesterday what happens when there is no storage space left on it. As I took photos and videos throughout the flight I got the "Insufficient DJI Device Storage" message a few times. I was flying back to the home point (and was out over water) when I got the "Aircraft disconnected" msg and the screen went black. Was unable to reconnect and had a few tense moments until I heard the P4 coming back, and then landing on the HP in front of me. The track from the time it disconnected until it landed does not show up in DJI Go or AirdataView attachment 79627
I had been out flying earlier in the day, shot a lot of video, and forgot to delete it from the ipad. Time to disable caching on the ipad and learned that not having sufficient storage room on your ipad can totally disable your ability to control your drone, fortunately not the hard way.

What about the option I've circled on the screen shot?
60f236cb39eebabbad5746a513dec662.jpg

Reactions: KCadby
No point in starting a new thread. I use an Android tablet but was curious...I just got a P3P and it came with a RC to device cable that works for my tablet but nothing else. Do IOS guys have to buy a different cable?

Interesting...Funny too because on the side of the box it talks about being optimized for Apple.

I decided to just not cache video to the iPad while flying and now maintain about 3 gb free. No more problems.
Caching video on the iPad has aways been a problem. Keeping it off avoids a myriad of performance problems, and optimizes the FPV feed stability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic