conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

I'm in the same boat, but I'm holding off. I hope to find out the crystalsky release date at the ide show next week.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Maybe they'll let you take one home, for review purposes! ;)
Then you can answer all our questions about it! :cool:

Last edited:
I ordered a P4P+ (my first drone) and was on the fence about it. I would need to buy a tablet if I didn't get the Plus model so that factored into it as well. But I realized it's not that big a risk. The Plus controller by itself looks like it will sell for $600 (IIRC) but only costs $300 when purchased bundled with AC. So if I decide I want to swap it for a regular controller and CS display I should be able to sell the Plus controller for $400 ($100 more than I paid and $200 less than list) and use that money to buy a regular controller and have $100 extra to apply to the cost of the CS. Unless my prices are off it seems like no biggie.
Your assumptions are off. The P4P comes with the $300 controller, so you already paid the extra $300 for the upgrade from the standard P4P remote when you paid $1800 for the P4P+. You already paid $600 for the P4P+ remote in the $1,800 price. BTW, I still ordered the P4P+, too. The $600 P4P+ remote comes with HDMI out, GPS, a microSD card reader, and a display! Those are all extra costs for the P4P purchasers using a Wifi only iOS tablet. The P4P+ is one and done! :cool:

After reading this thread I feel like I should return the P4P that I will get in the mail today to get the P4P+. I am a first time drone user and the main reason I got the P4P instead of the P4P+ is because I am afraid of the screen breaking on the +. How long after I get the drone do I have to return it for the +?

After reading this thread I feel like I should return the P4P that I will get in the mail today to get the P4P+. I am a first time drone user and the main reason I got the P4P instead of the P4P+ is because I am afraid of the screen breaking on the +. How long after I get the drone do I have to return it for the +?
7 days, if you bought from DJI. Otherwise, it depends upon where you ordered from, and when. Some are offering extended Holiday returns on orders placed after a certain date, but most are 14 to 30 days normally.

I bought it from DJI and will try to see if I can send back the RC instead of paying to send back the whole drone. So you think I should go with the PLUS and not the regular p4p? Being my first drone

I bought it from DJI and will try to see if I can send back the RC instead of paying to send back the whole drone. So you think I should go with the PLUS and not the regular p4p? Being my first drone

I'm waiting on my 1st drone the Pro+ my reason for the + was easy visibility in sunlight without a hood , The compromise for easy visibility is smaller screen so there are trade offs either way.
I'm not concerned about the screen breaking I did buy a lanyard just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You should accept the p4p and wait for the crystal sky 7.9" bright display to be released. However you may want to return the p4p for other reasons, like poor range. Just a hunch.

Remember, if you get the P4P+, you cannot use the USB for an iOS display. You cannot use third party apps. You're stuck with the small 5.5" display, and it appears you won't be able to use the CrystalSky display either on the P4P+ if you decide to swap out later. I'll be asking about this at the IDE show next weekend.

Fly often, be safe

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Confused... Newbie with same original question, but is there any advantage using a device with cellular service? Something about the map updates, follow me feature etc. Seem some users may not be painting an accurate description.

I would think any device with GPS is what is needed, so the P4P+ has this. What happens if your receive a call or text message in the midst of flying, does the app block it?

This forum is great!

Confused... Newbie with same original question, but is there any advantage using a device with cellular service? Something about the map updates, follow me feature etc. Seem some users may not be painting an accurate description.

I would think any device with GPS is what is needed, so the P4P+ has this. What happens if your receive a call or text message in the midst of flying, does the app block it?

This forum is great!
Any Wifi device (like the P4P+ screen) can be hotspotted to a Smartphone for live maps in the field, or you can preload them at home over Wifi. The P4P+ will never annoy you with texts or calls or email, unlike iPads. It also has built in GPS and an included HDMI out for goggles, and a built-in microSd card reader, to play back your microSD card footage from the aircraft in the field and be able to see it without a hood! The usability of the USB port on the P4P+ is still to be determined, and can be updated later via a firmware update. Litchi and all 3rd party SDK's will clearly be able to be used on the P4P+ And the P4P. Even the P4P cannot use any 3rd party app to fly until DJI first releases the P4P SDK, and the developers use it to write a P4P version of their app (some developers may never do so---Litchi is committed to doing so). Obviously, the P4P+ version of Litchi will have to be Android based.

You should accept the p4p and wait for the crystal sky 7.9" bright display to be released. However you may want to return the p4p for other reasons, like poor range. Just a hunch.
A hunch that is countered by many reports of excellent range, but whatever.

Also the 7.8" CrystalSky is going to be in the neighborhood of 2-3x as expensive as the additional cost of the P4P+ over the P4P, so that extra screen real estate doesn't come cheap. Assuming that you've OK with the 5.5" form factor the P4P+ is by far the most cost-effective way to get CrystalSky functionality.

A hunch that is countered by many reports of excellent range, but whatever.

Also the 7.8" CrystalSky is going to be in the neighborhood of 2-3x as expensive as the additional cost of the P4P+ over the P4P, so that extra screen real estate doesn't come cheap. Assuming that you've OK with the 5.5" form factor the P4P+ is by far the most cost-effective way to get CrystalSky functionality.
I agree completely (and hoping the excellent range is true, too!)!

Also I think that you will be able to connect the larger crystalsky monitor through the connections on the p4p+ monitor when it comes out where as some one else in this thread said you would be stuck with the small attached screen

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Also I think that you will be able to connect the larger crystalsky monitor through the connections on the p4p+ monitor when it comes out where as some one else in this thread said you would be stuck with the small attached screen
You'll definitely be stuck with the small screen if you have a P4P+. If you want to use the CrystalSky monitor, then definitely buy the P4P instead. Or, you could buy the P4P remote controller separately later if you require the use of both screens for some reason.

You'll definitely be stuck with the small screen if you have a P4P+. If you want to use the CrystalSky monitor, then definitely buy the P4P instead. Or, you could buy the P4P remote controller separately later if you require the use of both screens for some reason.
...and you know this how? o_O
Your conclusion is just as speculative as any other, until such time as the CrystalSky monitor is released, and DJI decides whether or not they wish to support the use of it, through the external USB port on the P4P+ remote, like on every other DJI remote.:cool:

Your conclusion is just as speculative as any other
I'm not speculating. That's how the P4P+ remote controller works today. See the DJI FAQ, ask DJI employees, or talk to DJI support if you have any doubts.

Will DJI change its functionality in the future? Well, now, that's speculation ;)

Reactions: dtviewer
I'm not speculating. That's how the P4P+ remote controller works today. See the DJI FAQ, ask DJI employees, or talk to DJI support if you have any doubts.

Will DJI change its functionality in the future? Well, now, that's speculation ;)
Then say that, rather than what you posted above.:rolleyes:
"You'll definitely be stuck with the small screen if you have the P4P+"
You simply have no way of knowing that. You are assuming that the functionality will never be changed. That's speculation on your part.:cool:

You're never happy unless you're arguing with someone. I'll never understand that about you.

You're never happy unless you're arguing with someone. I'll never understand that about you.
We have had this discussion before. You want everything to be either black or white, or yes or no. The world exists in shades of gray and "no" is just a start of a negotiation. Virtually anything is possible. You pretend to know what DJI is going to do based upon what they have done so far. The fact is that the external USB port on every other DJI controller can be used to hook up an external monitor, including the Mavic Pro. Just because that port is not currently working in that manner does not mean it never will be. DJI could change that at any time. You choose to assume they never will. I, and many others, believe they may. That's all. :cool:

Reactions: RyanK

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews