conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Personally the 5.5" is just too small for me. I use an air 2 and absolutely love the large screen. You could consider the p4p without the built in screen and just buy a dji CrystalSky in the 7.85" size when it becomes available, when/price unknown I believe. If the CrystalSky is competitively priced and you're in the market, it would probably be a no brainer.
Will this allow other apps?

I've read somewhere here or at DJI forum, that someone was already reaching out to Litchi and confirmed that they will incl P4P in one of their future releases...so the only question remains if Litchi will be allowed to run on P4P+ (built-in screen)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
As of yesterday Litchi reporting they haven't heard back from DJI about the SDK needed for them to support P4P so I think this is a LONG............WAY...........Off

We have had this discussion before. You want everything to be either black or white, or yes or no. The world exists in shades of gray and "no" is just a start of a negotiation. Virtually anything is possible. You pretend to know what DJI is going to do based upon what they have done so far. The fact is that the external USB port on every other DJI controller can be used to hook up an external monitor, including the Mavic Pro. Just because that port is not currently working in that manner does not mean it never will be. DJI could change that at any time. You choose to assume they never will. I, and many others, believe they may. That's all. :cool:
Anything might happen, but for anyone who intends to use 3rd party apps or an alternate display in the immediate future probably wouldn't be well advised to order a P4P+. The P4P+ has many pros going for it but there's no denying that for the time being at least versatility with 3rd party apps and hardware just isn't one of them. Actually it may be a while before 3rd party apps are supported and reliable on any of the P4P models, but if/when that happens then there is always the option of purchasing another controller to dedicate to use with 3rd party apps and such while retaining the original dedicated-screen controller for casual flying where you don't want to be monkeying with external devices, the best of both worlds for a few hundred bucks.

Or... I might win the lottery, and it all becomes moot.

Well I guess I hit the "Big One" I have both remotes, so I dont have to play the 20 question game of "what if"

Anything might happen, but for anyone who intends to use 3rd party apps or an alternate display in the immediate future probably wouldn't be well advised to order a P4P+. The P4P+ has many pros going for it but there's no denying that for the time being at least versatility with 3rd party apps and hardware just isn't one of them. Actually it may be a while before 3rd party apps are supported and reliable on any of the P4P models, but if/when that happens then there is always the option of purchasing another controller to dedicate to use with 3rd party apps and such while retaining the original dedicated-screen controller for casual flying where you don't want to be monkeying with external devices, the best of both worlds for a few hundred bucks.

Or... I might win the lottery, and it all becomes moot.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The extra $300 for a second standard P4P transmitter is a great addition to the P4P+, especially if you want to mod the transmitter for an external antenna with boosters, while fully preserving your P4P+ transmitter warranty on the built-in 5.5" CystalSky screen. Then you have the best of both! :cool:

Reactions: Big Al KY
The extra $300 for a second standard P4P transmitter is a great addition to the P4P+, especially if you want to mod the transmitter for an external antenna with boosters, while fully preserving your P4P+ transmitter warranty on the built-in 5.5" CystalSky screen. Then you have the best of both! :cool:
$319 for a P4P controller is a more reasonable price from DJI versus the past prices of 400-500 for their controllers, kinda hard to believe. This is more in line with a Spektrum price in this caliber of RC, which is good to see.

The extra $300 for a second standard P4P transmitter is a great addition to the P4P+, especially if you want to mod the transmitter for an external antenna with boosters, while fully preserving your P4P+ transmitter warranty on the built-in 5.5" CystalSky screen. Then you have the best of both!
Yes, with a second controller you can hack away at will or send the unit off for modification without affecting use of the drone. Both controllers have their own utility, the basic controller for mods or 3rd party app control (well, we hope...) and the P4P+ controller when you 'just want to fly.' One thing about the P4P+ is it is very fast to bring into use, just turn on the controller and by the time you've twisted on the props the unit is ready to fly, like 15 seconds flat! Almost certainly faster than a Mavic in fact considering the time it takes to fuss with the phone.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
$319 for a P4P controller is a more reasonable price from DJI versus the past prices of 400-500 for their controllers, kinda hard to believe. This is more in line with a Spektrum price in this caliber of RC, which is good to see.
Indeed, and easier to eat, in the event the transmitter mod doesn't work out! The integration on the P4P+ is growing on me. No apparent way yet to install the 32 Channel hack on the integrated tablet, and it repeatedly defaults to Auto 5.8 GHz and 6.0 Mbs transmission rate, which resets the manual selection of 2.4 Ghz and Ch 20 and 4.0Mbs selection. Just something to watch for now, until the setting can be survive a reboot.

I'm looking at this to help me decide which route to follow. Do I get the P4P or P4P+? Hummm?
I have much to learn since this will by my first drone.

What about 3rd party apps on the P4P+?

I'm looking at this to help me decide which route to follow. Do I get the P4P or P4P+? Hummm?
I have much to learn since this will by my first drone.

What about 3rd party apps on the P4P+?
Only Apps on the P4P+ controller are those loaded by DJI, which includes the DJI GO 4 App, Twitter, Facebook, Internet Browser, Gallery and a few others.

I've tried numerous times and so far have not figured out any method to load additional apps without rooting the entire system... and I don't currently plan on doing that.

Sent from my SM-P550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: KeiferBass
I am planning on getting the P4P controller as a second controller. The limitations on the + controller with third party apps sucks. Had I known that was going to be an issue I wouldn't have gotten the +. The brightness disadvantage using a mobile device can be easily fixed by a hood. There is no easy fix (as of now) for installing third party apps on the + display. Kind of short-sidedness by DJI. Another thing I have come to learn about the plus is that you can't connect a mobile device and have that be the control display because you get either the Android display or nothing. At least with the non + controller you can switch to another mobile device if there are any problems with the display. With the + any problems with the display that requires repair means no controller. Shame on me for getting sucked into the "screen is brighter" and "no extra cables" hype.

Reactions: KeiferBass
It's clear to me that the Android team at DJI is second string, and even a dedicated P4P+ Android tablet of their own making isn't helping. There have already been two updates for iOS, and there still isn't a single one for the P4P+. The app is riddled with bugs. No .SRT files, nonresponsive app messages in flight that require rebooting the screen, drone orientation remains unchanged after unlocking the map, cluttered screen, no documentation, laggy video. Not ready for prime time. :rolleyes:

This is the reason I ordered the 2nd controller. Don't get me wrong I really like the P4P+ but I do see many bugs in it.

I do miss the .srt files also, and my app crashed while I was landing today, but no mishap. had to restart the app because the camera was still recording the whole time. I did order the separate controller and a HDMI module for it also but haven't heard a word about when they will ship, mean while i'll keep using the built in monitor.

As a "minimalist" I think I will be happy enough with the DJI only apps on the P4P+. My bigger concern is the screen size for my old eyes. Though I have a set of HeadPlays. Will they work with the P4P+ ?

As a "minimalist" I think I will be happy enough with the DJI only apps on the P4P+. My bigger concern is the screen size for my old eyes. Though I have a set of HeadPlays. Will they work with the P4P+ ?

They should. It has a full sized HDMI port.

I do miss the .srt files also, and my app crashed while I was landing today, but no mishap. had to restart the app because the camera was still recording the whole time. I did order the separate controller and a HDMI module for it also but haven't heard a word about when they will ship, mean while i'll keep using the built in monitor.
Really need those .SRT files for reviewing ideal video camera settings in auto, and for height and GPS. Crashing was my experience as well. I was in full screen video, and could not get out of it to see the telemetry, and got the nonreponsive app mesage, and did I want to close DJI GO 4! I kept flying, with the timer frozen on the screen, and eventually was able to get out of full screen mode, and when I did, the telemetry was gone! No indication of where the drone was on the map to fly it back, so I flew it back by FPV, hovered it in front of me, rebooted the screen, and everything was restored, and the video recording time was cumulative from the start. Very bizarre!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews