Who will register their Phantom with the FAA?

So will you Register your bird with the FAA?

• Yes, voluntarily

• Yes if forced to by law

• No, I ain't getting on that government list

Results are only viewable after voting.
Currently the fee is either $5 or $10 depending on your paperwork. I think the N# was $10 flat fee. So worse case $20 which isn't bad. We used to be required to get an FCC operators license to fly RC which was cheap but took a few weeks to get. Same scenario now. It's really not a big deal if you don't want it to be.

The requirement for the lettering (unless it changed in the last week) is for UAV/UAS to be as large as is practical. Not hard to come by at all.

Can you register/get a tail number if you haven't gotten a 333?

What in hell makes you think flying a drone is a god given right that supersedes other people's rights to the safety they believe they enjoyed until drones were invented?

I'm up to here with the Irresponsible pups that think they should be able to anonymously fly anywhere they want and if something bad happens they can hide from the mess they created.

Shame on us? Shame is on you!!! You and others with this entitled attitude are going to screw this up for everyone.

Calm the hell down dude before you pop a gasket!

registration is a good idea as it will remove the anonymity of the device and enforce personal accountability for their actions.

You are making a BIG assumption that they will register them. I for one will sell all my quad stuff and be happy again just flying my old planes and heli's.
Nobody seems to notice or care about me flying them.

Reactions: BigAl07
Those for big government will never agree with those of us against big government.

Those who think the government owes them their free obami phone and free gasoline (the new age entitlement believers) will never understand those of us who believe you don't get it unless you earn it yourself, rather than taking it free from someone else's hard labor and tax payments.

Those who believe guns are bad and think it is time to throw out the 2nd amendment will never understand us who don't agree.

I think I can summarize this whole 5 pages down to those who:

1) love big government so much they want to voluntarily register their quads before even being required, and will.
2) are so scared of big government coming to get them, that they will not argue the requirement for registration at this time before it happens - they too will register, but will wait until the day before it becomes official.
3) know there is already way too much government regulation, will argue the need for this nonsense, and see no point in yet more regulation that will make zero difference at the end of the day, yet being law abiding citizens, will register on the last day possible.
4) the good guys who will not register on principle of it and do not cause issues.
5) the bad guys who would never register a drone or a gun anyway since they are bad guys, do the 1000' flying, fly over crowds and stadiums, chase manned aircraft, fly at airports, and will not register.

I do not think any amount of arguing here will change which group you are in, and which you will remain in, so this whole thread is pointless. Only thing it appears to be accomplishing is making some folks enemies of each other here, fellow law abiding phantom flyers, all depending on your political leaning.

All I can say is wow, have we fallen that far? Paranoid much?

Pretty sure that is not possible. The 400 feet thing is a bit harder to figure, how would they knew unless some plane hit your drone or saw it up there. No civilian radar will pick the drone up and they can't get your log files.
Why wouldn't they be able to get your log files??? If you were to cause a death, they would get them to prosecute you by subpoena. yes?

Ianwood, no disrespect meant sir, but ......

Sweden, Belgium and Aruba are the same or Juuuust slightly higher tax rates. The rest of the world ....lower. Source.....
List of countries by tax rates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Big government bureaucracy demands big revenues to keep it going. What's our current debt level? Isn't it like 18 freaking trillion and growing exponentially? The government is definitely NOT that efficient...that's EXACTLY why the hog needs ever increasing bigger $$$ meals.

I will agree that government coddling, forcing political correctness on us all and taking from earners and giving to non producers has to a large extent negated natural selection. We agree on that. ;)

Yeah, kinda....
Aren't rules mostly knee jerk responses to previous failures in governing.
Don't rules become necessary only when people can't control themselves? Why does our society have so many arrogant dumb asses and ignorant morons is the question to ask.
This could be FAR better dealt with by encouraging strong family units where strong parenting teaches right from wrong. And by a fair system of Justice where money can't buy it. Again, it is largely the Federal government which has torn the family unit apart and led to the vast majority of these irresponsible and above the law morons. I give you the Welfare System of entitlements and rich privilege. Both breed social irresponsibility. Also, lookup recent Saudi shenanigans and what they get away with. The root of the problem starts with the Federal Government. Just go back far enough. We have billions of laws already. WHY then do we STILL have all these problems???

Agreed. But consider that a bad person does not need a drone to do bad things. They drive cars and drink and can wreak havoc on society in a million other ways. We're just focused on drones here. Small part of the problem.

I can answer that easily.....the same reason they waited to make gay marriage legal and Socialized medicine in the US into law. Timing. I'm not passing judgement, just stating fact. And times they ARE a changing. When the time is right history will repeat.
Remember this in the years ahead.

Also, please remember that you and I have opinions which do not necessarily make either of us right (or wrong). Hopefully you won't squash others opinions.

I may be disliked by many...that's ok....I think I make reasonable and valid points.
With all due respect.....and hoping I don't get da boot....:eek:

Peas

I'll probably be dead before they actually enact the requirement.

I can't answer for certain until I actually see the final rules. If they don't charge to register, I'm inclined to figure out ways to mess with them by registering $8 "quad copters" that can only travel 10 feet away, and balsa wood gliders with a rubber band propeller. They probably need a serial number... I can make up a few such as EABOD001 and GFY001.

Sadly though, I expect high fees and more strict requirements for registering. But, I'll endeavor to do what I can do.
HEY, GFY001 is going to be my number!!! Wait I'm not registering Goofy, you can have it.

Currently the fee is either $5 or $10 depending on your paperwork. I think the N# was $10 flat fee. So worse case $20 which isn't bad. We used to be required to get an FCC operators license to fly RC which was cheap but took a few weeks to get. Same scenario now. It's really not a big deal if you don't want it to be.

The requirement for the lettering (unless it changed in the last week) is for UAV/UAS to be as large as is practical. Not hard to come by at all.
Thank You, This is the info I need to be informed. Experienced R C operators have been there and your input is much appreciated.

I predict that:
1. Government makes a rule for registration.
2. Registration won't be obeyed by a large percentage of the people.
3. The problems that the Government said registration would fix will not fix it.
4. Government decides that the regulations didn't go far enough and proposes rigorous enforcement.
5. Government to hire 100,000 new government union employees with pensions and healthcare to police the drones.
6. Registration fees will go way up to pay for the new staff. Draconian fines will accompany very innocent mistakes. Outlaws will continue without repercussions.
7. All the above still won't solve the worst problems.
8. A new government solution will be proposed where everybody wanting to fly a drone has to attend a 16 hour class, do a Homeland Security background check, get photographed, fingerprinted, and carry a government license when you fly. Also log and report all flights.
9. Hire 200,000 new employees for the newly created Federal Government agency DAA (Drone Administration Agency)
10. All government agencies will be completely exempt from the new rules and allowed to surveil all of us at their whims.

Funny all this... I have only been flying for a few weeks. I observe that my phantom II is loud and very brightly lit. This is not a "stealth" spying device by any means. All people can see and hear it coming. The camera does not zoom. It just is not a "peek at you" device. I believe if the public were able to actually view footage taken by these machines, and taught what they can actually DO and NOT do, a lot of the paranoia would go away. Everyone that has come over and spoke with me while I'm flying thinks they are really cool and they leave with a better understanding.

All that said, I'm sure there are going to be a few that will do stupid things with them and they will be the cause for the rest of us to suffer laws, controls, and fees.

I am a professional photographer for 14 years, and have hopes of adding this device into my business offerings in many ways.

I am in the process of registering my Phantom 3 Pro right now. I was granted an exemption through section 333 finally and that is part of process. No big deal in my opinion. Just part of doing business.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart