Who will register their Phantom with the FAA?

So will you Register your bird with the FAA?

• Yes, voluntarily

• Yes if forced to by law

• No, I ain't getting on that government list

Results are only viewable after voting.
What in hell makes you think flying a drone is a god given right that supersedes other people's rights to the safety they believe they enjoyed until drones were invented?

I'm up to here with the Irresponsible pups that think they should be able to anonymously fly anywhere they want and if something bad happens they can hide from the mess they created.

Shame on us? Shame is on you!!! You and others with this entitled attitude are going to screw this up for everyone.
+1 Thank You.

Reactions: Jeff48920
let's be pragmatic and honest about it. there are going to be parallels to when cars first hit the roads and had to share space with horses.

when i was reading up on my phantom and studying the FAA rules before my purchase , i suspected this would happen. too much capability offered to those who are not responsible enough to handle it. if DJI required online training before the phantom would unlock to fly , it would have solved quite a bit of this problem. the manufacturers could have taken the lead to stop this issue before it became one by educating consumers.

given the gravity isn't as severe but i think of it like handing someone who's never fired a weapon a loaded gun with the safety off and tell them to go have fun. probably an extreme comparison.

registration is a good idea as it will remove the anonymity of the device and enforce personal accountability for their actions.

how many times have we seen folks on the forum say they were afraid to even put their name on their phantoms because it could be traced back to them and could flout accountability for their actions.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
to those who object to registration, tell me why shouldn't those who fly be held accountable if they screw up? just like if you crash your car?

to those who object to registration, tell me why shouldn't those who fly be held accountable if they screw up? just like if you crash your car?

+1

If you don't want to take responsibility if/when something bad happens, then you shouldn't fly at all...

Let me try.....

Laws and penalties work on those on whom they work: law abiding citizens.

These are not the ones who you want held accountable: the law abiding citizens WILL own up to their screw ups - without the threat of big brother and registration. Hell, I have my name plastered all over my quad! I have my business cards stuffed around inside the unit! I do not need registration to make me honest!

Those who would not be accountable and hide are those who would not register because they know they are bad apples anyway. Just like guns. The bad guys will get guns and drones and do bad things with them - EVEN WITH REGISTRATION!

So what did registration help? Nothing. Other than penalizing us who abide by the law! NO EFFECT at all on the bad apples! So why strap us with this?

Reactions: Gary E and 750r
Since I could not stop myself from replying when I swore I would not get back into this nonsense unwinnable argument - it is no different than arguing about 2nd amendment, guns, or abortion - there will be no winning post. Too many democrats thinking gun control is the answer....

But... I was rather taken aback when I - me - I was called one of the new generation of takers - those who feel they are ENTITLED to stuff! WOW! Like I might think I DESERVE to be given ANYTHING by our government! Double WOW! Those folks attitudes have been the ones I have fought against for 30 years now! Triple WOW!

'Snuff! back to the woodwork with me. You guys go solve all the worlds problems. :)

Reactions: 750r
Who cares!!!! Just follow the already preset guidelines and have fun...

Let me try.....

Laws and penalties work on those on whom they work: law abiding citizens.

These are not the ones who you want held accountable: the law abiding citizens WILL own up to their screw ups - without the threat of big brother and registration. Hell, I have my name plastered all over my quad! I have my business cards stuffed around inside the unit! I do not need registration to make me honest!

Those who would not be accountable and hide are those who would not register because they know they are bad apples anyway. Just like guns. The bad guys will get guns and drones and do bad things with them - EVEN WITH REGISTRATION!

So what did registration help? Nothing. Other than penalizing us who abide by the law! NO EFFECT at all on the bad apples! So why strap us with this?
No, registration won't effect you or I because we are honest, responsible, law abiding citizens.
But I'd hate to imagine what our streets would be like if we weren't required to register our cars as a a way to show ownership and license ourselves to show responsibility. Perhaps cars would be used as weapons more often than they are if there were no recourse or consequence for the owner or driver? Would most of us obey speed limits, etc, if there was not way to trace the car or the driver?

I think most drone pilots will never be asked for their registration, but if there is a complaint of unsafe flying, or an accident happens, you will be responsible for proving you've registered your drone. If you haven't registered your drone, you will still be responsible and face an additional fine for piloting an unregistered aircraft. So if the police see me flying unsafe or in an area where RC aircraft are banned, I'd better be able to produce my registration.

In the last month I've seen members here detail how to throw the police off your tracks by faking landing spots, or having a back up "sacrificial decoy" drone to confuse the police. I've seen many members advocate that since there are no "laws," only "rules," we should flaunt those rules or at least ignore them and fly with impunity. I've seen others here advocate flying at ridiculous altitudes.
I've seen one newspaper article after another over the past year detailing the stupidity or naivete of pilots crashing here and there or disrupting firefighters - I'm talking about documented cases, not imagined ones. So really it is no surprise to me that this is being strapped on us.

Last edited:
Ah well, I hate for my first post to be in debate thread, but oh well. This ain't my first forum.

After reading several forums before buying my PV2, one thing seems to pop up pretty consistently.

"I'll fly my drone how/when/where I want, **** the consequences, nobody can tell me what to do."

Followed by...

"You'll screw it up for the responsible owners!"

Well, it happened. The people in statement #1 did screw it up, and now we're faced with a monetary outlay for registration and (currently) minimal oversight.

But wait! Folks in statement #1 aren't done yet. They likely won't register because they want to stick it to Big Brother somehow and/or continue to operate their quadcopters in irresponsible ways.

That means more regs. More oversight. More fees. But wait, there's more again!

What happens if drone sellers or manufacturers are required to put automatically recorded and transmitted GPS data transceivers or wifi connections in drones? Wanna fly a drone? Input a valid wifi network/pass key to register and fly your drone. How about a basic transponder for altitude reporting? How about the increased cost to buyers? Of course manufacturers would pass that cost along to consumers.

I watched YouTube videos of owners flying their drones places they shouldn't, well outside the ranges specified I the FAA.

I'm sure those complaining about the cost and oversight are likely going to be those that scoffed at the rules and made a fun hobby a bigger expense and PITA for the rest of us.

Thanks for wrecking it for the rest of us!

Ah well, I hate for my first post to be in debate thread, but oh well. This ain't my first forum.

After reading several forums before buying my PV2, one thing seems to pop up pretty consistently.

"I'll fly my drone how/when/where I want, **** the consequences, nobody can tell me what to do."

Followed by...

"You'll screw it up for the responsible owners!"

Well, it happened. The people in statement #1 did screw it up, and now we're faced with a monetary outlay for registration and (currently) minimal oversight.

But wait! Folks in statement #1 aren't done yet. They likely won't register because they want to stick it to Big Brother somehow and/or continue to operate their quadcopters in irresponsible ways.

That means more regs. More oversight. More fees. But wait, there's more again!

What happens if drone sellers or manufacturers are required to put automatically recorded and transmitted GPS data transceivers or wifi connections in drones? Wanna fly a drone? Input a valid wifi network/pass key to register and fly your drone. How about a basic transponder for altitude reporting? How about the increased cost to buyers? Of course manufacturers would pass that cost along to consumers.

I watched YouTube videos of owners flying their drones places they shouldn't, well outside the ranges specified I the FAA.

I'm sure those complaining about the cost and oversight are likely going to be those that scoffed at the rules and made a fun hobby a bigger expense and PITA for the rest of us.

Thanks for wrecking it for the rest of us!

Great first post. Glad you took the time to express your thoughts.

Since I could not stop myself from replying when I swore I would not get back into this nonsense unwinnable argument - it is no different than arguing about 2nd amendment, guns, or abortion - there will be no winning post. Too many democrats thinking gun control is the answer....

But... I was rather taken aback when I - me - I was called one of the new generation of takers - those who feel they are ENTITLED to stuff! WOW! Like I might think I DESERVE to be given ANYTHING by our government! Double WOW! Those folks attitudes have been the ones I have fought against for 30 years now! Triple WOW!

'Snuff! back to the woodwork with me. You guys go solve all the worlds problems. :)

I totally don't understand your entire second paragraph. Young or old, your position is that of an ENTITLED personality.

Your believed entitlement to be free of any regulation is no different than others perceived entitlement to goods and services. Don't try to be cute with semantics. Most of us are pretty savvy in that arena.

You live in a civilization that requires regulations so that others can enjoy their basic rights and freedoms. You certainly get the right to decide which FAA regulations you will or will not agree to abide by, but not abiding by them doesn't make you a freedom fighter, it makes you an ENTITLED spoiled brat. Flying a drone is not now, nor will it ever be, a God given basic right.

In short, if you do believe you have the right to fly unregulated then put yourself on the line and use the system that is in place to make that belief a privilege granted to all instead of throwing a temper tantrum and trying to convince others that they don't have to follow the rules either.

Edit: I guess there is a potential upside. Being a registered aircraft it may result in penalties for people who choose to interfere with them (jammers, shoot-downs, etc) though it will be difficult to locate a jammer. Of course, if one is operating a drone outside the parameters allowed when the shoot-down occurs, one's recourse is limited. You cannot report the event without self- incrimination.

You're right. Laws are pointless. We should abandon them.
Come on he is not going like that the point is the good get punished the bad keep being bad . All the rules and laws you can make up will not stop the morons in this hobby . We are in this mess because these things are so easy to fly I liked it better when it took skill with that skill you had respect .

It's clear to see that those who want to register their drones will. Nothing wrong with that which I can see. Patriots and heroes in my book. God bless them!

Come on he is not going like that the point is the good get punished the bad keep being bad . All the rules and laws you can make up will not stop the morons in this hobby . We are in this mess because these things are so easy to fly I liked it better when it took skill with that skill you had respect .

Back when there was 1,000 horseless carriages in the country, someone probably said, "Dammit, people are running each other over! We need to establish some rules and accountability."

And now we have the DMV. We all hate it. And I would prefer to drive 100MPH everywhere. But we can't. Drones have reached a similar tipping point.

Back when there was 1,000 horseless carriages in the country, someone probably said, "Dammit, people are running each other over! We need to establish some rules and accountability."

And now we have the DMV. We all hate it. And I would prefer to drive 100MPH everywhere. But we can't. Drones have reached a similar tipping point.
Exactly. Better now than later

Just like all laws here in the USA they will never stop anyone from doing what they want. We are a country that loves our freedoms and we are free to do almost anything at all. What laws do is allow the rest of us Americans to catch the violators, convict the violators, whack them with fines, and generously give them jail time, lashes, flogging, caning, stoning, public humiliation, and death by firing squad, hanging, and/or lethal injection. That will sometimes, only sometimes, persuade the would be violators to comply with our laws.

With these unenforceable registrations, etc.... flying might actually turn out to be easier with the general public. All we've gotta do now is say (and show them) yep, I'm registered... look at my papers... at that point, they'll have to move on.

Bring on registration... I'm all for it!!!

Reactions: Chuck Young

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic