Who will register their Phantom with the FAA?

So will you Register your bird with the FAA?

• Yes, voluntarily

• Yes if forced to by law

• No, I ain't getting on that government list

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am kind of thinking it could add some legitimacy to law abiding fliers. Probably should go so far as to adding ID codes to the nav lights or add-on ID code strobes. No code, you get the guns. LOL

dronedefense.jpg

So will they be monitoring our flight patterns? What if we fly above 400 feet?

Pretty sure that is not possible. The 400 feet thing is a bit harder to figure, how would they knew unless some plane hit your drone or saw it up there. No civilian radar will pick the drone up and they can't get your log files.

So will they be monitoring our flight patterns? What if we fly above 400 feet?
And 400 ft is not accurate.
Since the phantom records 0 ft at take off (where you stand), where is the phantoms true vertical height?

True...it isn't a big deal. I'm going to if the law said so. Don't know how they are going to do it, maybe a little paper tag on the legs

I already have my registration "In" and have my N# issued. Takes about 10minutes and $10 no big deal. The biggest hassle will be getting the right letters and applying them to the aircraft.

I would imagine IF (and that's a big if LOL) there was enough push that all of your flight information could be gathered "on the fly". Remember everything you see on your screen is being broadcast through the air from your aircraft in a 360deg pattern. All you would need is a device able to capture, interpret and display that information. I bet if the FAA/DOT mandated this be allowable that the manufacturer would give them the specs they need to harvest such information on the fly. I don't know it's 100% possible now but in the words of Mythbusters... I'd call it very plausible.

Reactions: A.D.P.
I already have my registration "In" and have my N# issued. Takes about 10minutes and $10 no big deal. The biggest hassle will be getting the right letters and applying them to the aircraft.
This what ya want web%20faa%20close_jpg_opt388x338o0,0s388x338.jpg These guy's will make ya what ya want UAVstickers.com

No reason. Trying to be funny.

Fell flat on my face I guess!

JD
Welcome to the club :)
That's about where I stay most of the time :p

I predict that:
1. Government makes a rule for registration.
2. Registration won't be obeyed by a large percentage of the people.
3. The problems that the Government said registration would fix will not fix it.
4. Government decides that the regulations didn't go far enough and proposes rigorous enforcement.
5. Government to hire 100,000 new government union employees with pensions and healthcare to police the drones.
6. Registration fees will go way up to pay for the new staff. Draconian fines will accompany very innocent mistakes. Outlaws will continue without repercussions.
7. All the above still won't solve the worst problems.
8. A new government solution will be proposed where everybody wanting to fly a drone has to attend a 16 hour class, do a Homeland Security background check, get photographed, fingerprinted, and carry a government license when you fly. Also log and report all flights.
9. Hire 200,000 new employees for the newly created Federal Government agency DAA (Drone Administration Agency)
10. All government agencies will be completely exempt from the new rules and allowed to surveil all of us at their whims.

I can't answer for certain until I actually see the final rules. If they don't charge to register, I'm inclined to figure out ways to mess with them by registering $8 "quad copters" that can only travel 10 feet away, and balsa wood gliders with a rubber band propeller. They probably need a serial number... I can make up a few such as EABOD001 and GFY001.

Sadly though, I expect high fees and more strict requirements for registering. But, I'll endeavor to do what I can do.

Currently the fee is either $5 or $10 depending on your paperwork. I think the N# was $10 flat fee. So worse case $20 which isn't bad. We used to be required to get an FCC operators license to fly RC which was cheap but took a few weeks to get. Same scenario now. It's really not a big deal if you don't want it to be.

The requirement for the lettering (unless it changed in the last week) is for UAV/UAS to be as large as is practical. Not hard to come by at all.

Reactions: Brislin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31