UK

Been on here for nearly a year now and never seen this post. Hi all I'm lee 38 from Blackpool and think a uk meet some were with a fly and then stay over at hotel with drinks is in order. The guys can talk flight and drink beer while the wife's talk shoes and moan at each other about how we spend all our time obsessing about everything phantom.
hi lee, wife won a weekend up there so we might be up that way but i have no idea when. i got an operation looming so need to see what happens to determine when.
where bout in blackpool are you ?

rob

I own both a Phantom 2 and a Phantom 2 Vision+ v3.0. Don't ask! Long Story!

I am based in Farnborough, Hampshire, so keen to learn about other people around the country. I am extremely impressed with the P2V+ and plan to explore various places with it. I need to venture a bit further out with mine, as we live near Farnborough airport.

So considering areas like the New Forest, The Meon Valley, South Downs, Isle of Wight etc. Anywhere else for that matter :)

I'm in Camberley and have flown on the big field alongside the farnborough road between north camp and aldershot. It's Huge and I often see others there flying RC planes etc. It is close to Farnborough airport though..

IMG_20140612_210201.jpg

Hi MrC - yes I know the park you mean, haven't flown in there yet but have in the playing fields on the other side of the same road.

I'm in Hull but have a base in the Peak District near Bakewell. Found some great potential locations so looking forward to a summers flying!!

Going to Lanzerote for 5 days on a droning trip next week

Hello everyone. I'm new here, just joined literally minutes ago. After hearing about the Phantom Drones and reading about them I have joined here to find out more about them before I bite the bullet and buy one. Currently living in sunny Manchester.

Reactions: CEEJAY
Hi Broze.
Worth taking a little time to understand the CAA regulations on flying in congested areas before you decide to buy. Essentially, if you have a camera equipped quadcopter, you cannot fly in built up areas and over parks etc. You might need to travel out of the city to a more rural location. Good job you have the Peaks on your doorstep!

Reactions: Broze
Hi all 3 months in with my fc40 my first video below.
I am based in Mansfield near Nottingham .

Just fitted a gimbal to mine but not flown with it yet

Any one near here?

Hi Broze.
Worth taking a little time to understand the CAA regulations on flying in congested areas before you decide to buy. Essentially, if you have a camera equipped quadcopter, you cannot fly in built up areas and over parks etc. You might need to travel out of the city to a more rural location. Good job you have the Peaks on your doorstep!

Thanks for the info :)
I've actually just got back from a drive from Nottingham and drove through the peaks on my way back. Plenty of space around there to fly one of these.
I was thinking, is there any insurance you can get for these, - you know in case it crashes, goes missing etc etc?
Also where's the best place to buy one from? I read somewhere else on the Internet that buying from the U.S. was considerably cheaper than UK prices, but surely it's not as easy as that?

http://www.fpvuk.org/ here is a good source for cheap UK liability insurance.

You will pay a lot more for loss / damage insurance, maybe 50% of the new cost...

Bear in mind that in life the only certainties are death and taxes. If you fly R/C aircraft, add crashing to the list...

Learn with something cheap and build your skills and flight risks slowly. Start with wide open fields and learn to fly properly, so your reflexes correct for any problems before attempting anything more complex.

Reactions: Broze
http://www.fpvuk.org/ here is a good source for cheap UK liability insurance.

You will pay a lot more for loss / damage insurance, maybe 50% of the new cost...

Bear in mind that in life the only certainties are death and taxes. If you fly R/C aircraft, add crashing to the list...

Learn with something cheap and build your skills and flight risks slowly. Start with wide open fields and learn to fly properly, so your reflexes correct for any problems before attempting anything more complex.

Thankyou :)

Any reccomendations of what to start with as a beginner?

Maybe the vision 2+ is to advanced for a newbie?

I teach a bunch of Air Cadets how to fly quads and we have a collection of Hubsan X4s. These use exactly the same controls as the Phantoms, but are harder to fly! Pretty hard to kill as well!

There is not an issue learning to fly with a P2, but you just need plenty of space. Start in a wide open space and fly at 10' or so. Fly straight out and back, then move onto simple shapes. Practice a few landings and steadily increase the height and distance that you fly.

The problem with the P2s is that they are simple to get airborne and control at a basic level, but if things go wrong, you need to know how to react - and for it to become almost instinct. I estimate you need a good 5 hours of flying to get anywhere near competent. Only then should you start flying around obstacles and in more challenging wind conditions. Fit a tracker and you are less likely to loose it.

Hi All,
I'm new to posting to BBs as well as quads but having just acquired a Vision, thought I'd better make some knowledgable contacts! I'm from mid Wales, so looks like I'm your first Welsh member. Looking forward to having fun with this amazing machine.
Anyone from Uk interested in meeting up???

I'm in South West, but willing & able to travel.
Hi Guys! I'm From Norfolk, Where life is "Boodifull" !!, Norwich to be precise, we have a 315 foot Cathedral, a genuine Norman Castle ,which is outstanding !!.
Loads of Broads (open water areas), Windmills, what more can I say!.
Lovely area to be in for Flying, quite airspace (Civil & Military), lots of open areas and parks.
Would love to here from my Fellow "Bumkins" (so to speak)
And ,by the way We Don't all drive TRACTORS !!!
(we call them ere' "Trackers")

Hey,

I was in London and never managed to meet up with any other Phantom folk (apart from at the DJI P3 event). I've now moved to Leeds, (next to Roundhay Park), and up for meeting some other local folks now I can actually fly the thing I've had since Feb and never really had a chance to take out!

Seen some people on the forum say they're from around here, so hopefully we can arrange something sometime.

Hey,

I was in London and never managed to meet up with any other Phantom folk (apart from at the DJI P3 event). I've now moved to Leeds, (next to Roundhay Park), and up for meeting some other local folks now I can actually fly the thing I've had since Feb and never really had a chance to take out!

Seen some people on the forum say they're from around here, so hopefully we can arrange something sometime.
I am the same "simonwicks",
I bought my Vision Plus back in Feb, and have not even screwed the props on yet!!.
BUT ,I have been doing a lot of work in building/making New Antennas, and experimenting with a Syma X5C , which I use for testing my 2.4 ghz antennas.
I am getting prepared for doing all the mods on my Vision, all in one go,ready for Summer Flying.
I am an Electronic/Electrical Engineer with over 40 years experience.
I have managed to Mod the Syma X5C to give a good range, with an assortment
of different antenna.
I have learned a hell of a lot about 2.4 & 5.8 ghz antennas, and have to say that when I see some of other peeps results on good ole U tub, and (without climbing on my mountain) I look at my results.
I should start a factory !!, I can make them better than any machine that I have seen. (stands up and blows his trumpet, LOUD).
seriously guys (n gals), great to see an open discussion on our love of flying !!

Thankyou :)

Any reccomendations of what to start with as a beginner?

Maybe the vision 2+ is to advanced for a newbie?
Don't try to run ,before you walk!.
I had never flown a quad before, (my son knows I am a "techy" lover, and always have been)
He and my daughter bought me a Syma X5C Explorer for Christmas, and I started to fly it at every opportunity (indoors and out) never flown one before in my life!!
It is a brilliant little quad which is stable and quite hardy with the prop guards on.
They do not cost a great deal, but, are brill for the beginner like me!.
After many hours (on a calm day) of flying in my local park, I feel that I am ready to make the Leap to the "Vision plus" now.
It gives you a great insight to "the big boys ones".
PLEASE, go buy a cheapy first, and don't rush into leaping to a Vision.
You will only bury it into the nearest tree or the ground, and say to yourself "Wish I had took that blokes advice"
be sensible, it will be worth the time to learn properly.
better still, do what I did, go to a Local Modelling Club, they will be only to pleased to lead you down the right road.
Good Luck and Happy Flying!!

Hello everyone. I'm new here, just joined literally minutes ago. After hearing about the Phantom Drones and reading about them I have joined here to find out more about them before I bite the bullet and buy one. Currently living in sunny Manchester.
Whereabouts in Manchester?

Hi guys,

Been a member on here for about a month, I fly PV2 which I've had since December, yes Christmas present from my lovely wife:) love her to bits:D:D

I from Essex, just outside Chelmsford, don't know if there's anyone else from my neck of the woods here;)

I'm in Hull but have a base in the Peak District near Bakewell. Found some great potential locations so looking forward to a summers flying!!

Going to Lanzerote for 5 days on a droning trip next week
I'm in Nottingham most of the time, and Beverley the rest, so would be game for a fly around at some point in the summer :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z