Solution for P4 range/battery life issues - Updated with Contact from DJI!

Take it easy Francis, was just messing around and I personally don't care at all. Talk about the bible in the FC40 forum for all I care. If anyone knows how to take a ribbing around here, it would me. Learn to do the same.

Also, I was banned for two weeks for not listening to repeated warning about responding to the ribbing or I'm sure I would have said the same several pages ago. Either way, I was just messing around.

Call it a feeble attempt at humor.
Sorry man ... just every thread has negative crap lately. As a former P3P owner and now a P4 owner I follow this forum to learn tips and tricks. I wish the mods would keep the threads cleaner. I use to be able to pop in and in for 10 min grab a quick tip or read a good story ... now it's all bitchin and moaning. Still some good posts, just harder to find.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Sorry man ... just every thread has negative crap lately. As a former P3P owner and now a P4 owner I follow this forum to learn tips and tricks. I wish the mods would keep the threads cleaner. I use to be able to pop in and in for 10 min grab a quick tip or read a good story ... now it's all bitchin and moaning. Still some good posts, just harder to find.
Understand that.

For what it's worth, I posted an hour long vlog on resolutions and settings (not exactly a QUICK tip) but one none the less Video formats and resolutions (a borning but neccesary thing to know)

Also just posted a thread that's not really a tip, but possibly a warning, possibly me being a bad pilot. Yet to be determined. ;)

All the best.

I'm not. It was a lame response to a lame question. Read above.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I see that now haha. Glad you're enjoying it.

20% less power really shouldn't effect range that much. Antenna sensitivity has a much more profound effect. Did you know you have to increase output power 4x to double range? It follows the inverse square law.

Inverse-square law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good post. Non engineers bitching about range, ignorant of inverse square law. Difference in output power prolly amounts to 50 yards.

Perhaps sensitivity, antenna design are the difference. Who knows. I don't know very many times I would want?need to fly out to 3 miles. How much battery would you have remaining once you got there/. Seriously.

Reactions: Jussaguy
GG - I'm getting more curious about the FPVLR product. Are you using a boosted one? Do you happen to have any idea if it could fit in a Go Professional Case? I'm thinking it might if it's easily removed. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mine is boosted. Won't fit well in a case, not easily removed, but if you want control and stable FPV at long range, it can't be beaten, assuming you pair it with something like the original W323 P3P and a battery mod. It will also get you the advertised 3.1 miles with the P4, with some video instability, but can't fix the battery lies of 28 plus minutes.

Reactions: Santiego
Returning it tomorrow. Specs state that range would be 3.1 miles and I went 3.95 today with no problems. Battery is supposed to get approx 28 mins. Lame. I got 24.5 and had 1/10 of the battery left. I'm done with all the lies. When I get my $1400 back I'm going to make 1400 dollar bill airplanes and fly circles around all these P4s.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks for the update. My P4 was sent back yesterday to DJI, for a refund due to four different manufacturing defects discovered within the 7 day return window! Defective battery, charger, transmitter, and gimbal! Either that, or they lied about all those devices capabilities!:rolleyes:

So you got more than the advertised range and if you would fly the battery to zero you would have had about 28 mins and you are returning it why? You guys are rediculous.
The battery cannot be flown to 0% because the aircraft is programmed by DJI to autoland at 10%. Surely, you are not suggesting that DJI based their 28+ minutes of flight time claim upon overriding their built-in 10% Autolanding function (which is designed to protect the battery from damage caused by depleting it below 10%) and running the battery all the way down to to 0%! :rolleyes:

Absolutely

If your going out and pushing these new packs down to below 30% in the first 10-15 cycles your never going to realise it's full capacity.

You absolutely have to babysit these packs for 20 cycles then they will get their full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where are you getting your information from?
Wherever it is, it does not apply to DJI Smart batteries.
They are their best when brand new, and need no conditioning of any sort.
Show me anywhere in DJI's extensive literature on the care and feeding of their batteries that says anything about babysitting the battery during the first 20 charges to reach full potential! :rolleyes:

Maybe they don't need to be cycled, but maybe it can also improve them, we would need extended testing with about 100 batteries to get proper chart and evidence of those theories. The only thing that is completely certain, is that every time you drop the battery below 20% it does cause some slight damage to the cell, and overtime will reduce the number of cycle available, and battery life, same thing if you let it heat over 50 Celsius.
Why is your statement "completely certain"? It is simply not true! What data do you have to support this statement? Check the individual battery cell voltages when the battery goes below 20%. They are still well above the voltages at which cell damage can occur! Even down to 5%, you'll still have cell voltages of around 3.5V/ cell. Would it change your opinion if I told you that DJI built an extra 20% cushion into the 0% readout in the app on the P4 batteries, such that a P4 at 0% is the same as a P3 at 20%, and a P4 at 20% is the same as a P3 at 40%?

So because a person doesn't fly long ranges they are less skilled? Only people willing to fly long ranges deserve a Phantom?
Of course not. I can tell you though the first thing I thought of when they said redundant equipment, faster and 28 minute flight time was... That means I could go farther! It was the main draw for me because the other stuff is just not significant. I think the 4 is awesome and better than what I have in every aspect except one.. That's a non-starter for me. I am hoping they fix it. If they do I'm on Amazon.

I have a feeling they will fix it with a new version.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Why is your statement "completely certain"? It is simply not true! What data do you have to support this statement? Check the individual battery cell voltages when the battery goes below 20%. They are still well above the voltages at which cell damage can occur! Even down to 5%, you'll still have cell voltages of around 3.5V/ cell. Would it change your opinion if I told you that DJI built an extra 20% cushion into the 0% readout in the app on the P4 batteries, such that a P4 at 0% is the same as a P3 at 20%, and a P4 at 20% is the same as a P3 at 40%?
Im not talking about DJI limited information, i'm talking about proven scientific information about Lithium-Polymer batteries, that apply to all type of li-po...
{Here is how to get 1000 cycle out of you drone instead of only 200-300(this is not a theory but a proven fact, from lot of scientic tests and data, also easy to research more informations about this using google).
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
But as you can see from scientific data if you discharge you battery under 20-30% and or charge it to 100% instead of just 90% you get a lot less cycles then if you do only use it between 90-20%...

Reactions: mtnmaddman
Where are you getting your information from?
Wherever it is, it does not apply to DJI Smart batteries.
They are their best when brand new, and need no conditioning of any sort.
Show me anywhere in DJI's extensive literature on the care and feeding of their batteries that says anything about babysitting the battery during the first 20 charges to reach full potential! :rolleyes:

It absolutely does apply and I suggest you do a little research.

It comes from the hours of testing and Beta testing, it also comes from my own knowledge of lipo packs, batteries or all kinds I been working with for years.

Also HV Lipo packs have an inhibitor added to prolong shelf life, this breaks down over the first 10 or so cycles as the begins to realise it's full capacity.

Further to this people are also not taking into account the fuel gauge has to build up a picture of the packs discharge curve to correctly predict remaining capacity, with a brand new pack the gauge will be slightly over compensating as its not got all the data or needs to plot the curve and discharge capacity.

We should also e-mail Obama all of our concerns about our country.
First of all, there is NO way people can contact him directly, impossible, if you did find a WEBMAIL address with drop menue subject email, He will NEVER see it! Government officials dont want to hear NOTHING from people! their thinking is, Shut up , suck it up and just keep giving us ur money!

Im not talking about DJI limited information, i'm talking about proven scientific information about Lithium-Polymer batteries, that apply to all type of li-po...
{Here is how to get 1000 cycle out of you drone instead of only 200-300(this is not a theory but a proven fact, from lot of scientic tests and data, also easy to research more informations about this using google).
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
But as you can see from scientific data if you discharge you battery under 20-30% and or charge it to 100% instead of just 90% you get a lot less cycles then if you do only use it between 90-20%...
You are overlooking the fact that DJI sets the 0% setting based on their own algorithms. All those others tests are based upon some standard that DJI does not use in calculating their own 0% displayed in the app.

It absolutely does apply and I suggest you do a little research.

It comes from the hours of testing and Beta testing, it also comes from my own knowledge of lipo packs, batteries or all kinds I been working with for years.

Also HV Lipo packs have an inhibitor added to prolong shelf life, this breaks down over the first 10 or so cycles as the begins to realise it's full capacity.

Further to this people are also not taking into account the fuel gauge has to build up a picture of the packs discharge curve to correctly predict remaining capacity, with a brand new pack the gauge will be slightly over compensating as its not got all the data or needs to plot the curve and discharge capacity.

Your years of experience is biasing your evaluation of the current smart batteries. No evidence exists that conditioning DJI smart batteries improves their life or their capacity, other than anecdotal results without any controls. Those claiming it works are not testing the same batteries without doing it. Those not doing aren't wasting their time conditioning batteries that don't require it. Long range flyers setting records will tell you that their exceptional results always are flown with brand new batteries, because after even 10 cycles, there is already a noticeable decline in battery life. You are not hurting your batteries by conditioning them. But you are not gaining anything either. Had you not conditioned them, your results would have been the same. Show me your controlled double blind studies with control batteries that establish your assumption, done with DJI smart batteries, and I'll reconsider.:cool:

You are overlooking the fact that DJI sets the 0% setting based on their own algorithms. All those others tests are based upon some standard that DJI does not use in calculating their own 0% displayed in the app.
You are overlooking the fact that DJI charge batteries to 4.30v witch reduce cycle count a lot, compared to if they were charged to 4.2v, and discharging any Lipo under 3.5v(DJI 0% is under 3.5v per cell) also reduce cycle counts more then if discharged down to only 3.6v-3.7v, im not talking about % numbers, im talking about actual voltage of lipo-cells, and how to get a LOT more cycles in exchange for shorter flight time in each cycle...It would not be at DJI advantage to advertise something that would considerably reduce sales of batteries, because peoples would get 15 min flights but 1000-2500 cycles per battery. This is not about DJI, it's about Li-po science, and how to get more cycles in exchange for shorter uses...

You are overlooking the fact that DJI charge batteries to 4.30v witch reduce cycle count a lot, compared to if they were charged to 4.2v, and discharging any Lipo under 3.5v(DJI 0% is under 3.5v per cell) also reduce cycle counts more then if discharged down to only 3.6v-3.7v, im not talking about % numbers, im talking about actual voltage of lipo-cells, and how to get a LOT more cycles in exchange for shorter flight time in each cycle...It would not be at DJI advantage to advertise something that would considerably reduce sales of batteries, because peoples would get 15 min flights but 1000-2500 cycles per battery. This is not about DJI, it's about Li-po science, and how to get more cycles in exchange for shorter uses...

HV's are 4.35v per cell and they are designed to be charged that high they are High Voltage LiPos or "LiHV", look it up. DJi isn't the only one that makes them or has them made.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart