P4 Battery Life myth (24 mins with xtra time, 45mph, no hovers here but the end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody is making an erroneous assumption..... that battery discharge rate is linear. Sorry, it isn't. Carry on.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That is what I was thinking...is your last 10% of battery time as long as your first 10%?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That is what I was thinking...is your last 10% of battery time as long as your first 10%?
Not sure. We can check all that when I upload the telemetry but the ones where I didn't hover at the end with 22 mins in bad conditions is pretty legit with 26% and 19% left over.

I actually did appreciate your findings and I am hoping my times will increase. Either way it is not a deal breaker for me at this point. You got to admit you got a little wordy on your responses and I always appreciate sarcastic humor. I guess I am use to some of the car forums I am on where you have to have thick skin. Take it with a grain of salt, happy flying!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jussaguy
Somebody is making an erroneous assumption..... that battery discharge rate is linear. Sorry, it isn't. Carry on.
Yeah, I told him that early on. He still doesn't get it...:rolleyes:
Maybe, he'll reconsider, since two of us are now telling him the same thing...:p Nope! He's a theoretical mathematician!
Still waiting on that promised actual 28+ minute flight log from him, instead of the projected linear one! :rolleyes:

I believe the root of the problem can be found in your second statement below. You're stoned so in your mind your explanations & "proof" make perfect sense. But people who aren't stoned are sitting here scratching their heads thinking, "WTF is this guy going on about?"

It isn't "proof" to show a static screen shot of your overall flight stats, or to attempt to extrapolate non-linear battery discharge rates using a simple static formula. Writing a novel the length of "War & Peace" won't convince us of the validity of your testing or methodology.

And what was up with the chapter on "There Are No Facts in Science"?

I'm all for a little buzz now & then but what exactly are you high on?

Please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, explain to me why there is absolutely no discussion on the OBJECTIVE FACT WITH PROOF?

Plus I'm high and it's not ideal conditions so WHATS THE PROBLEM HERE?

Last edited:
Reactions: Myetkt and dirkclod
come on chaps take a chill pill, he only came on to post HIS battery test results, he kinda does have a point once you wade through ALL that waffle, we need actual tests by real P4 owners

Reactions: Jussaguy
I have done tests with video & charts showing actual results. His isn't an actual test so much as statements & claims based on a few screen shots & extrapolation.

come on chaps take a chill pill, he only came on to post HIS battery test results, he kinda does have a point once you wade through ALL that waffle, we need actual tests by real P4 owners

Reactions: dirkclod

Like everything in the modern world, algorithms play a role in display technology. Batteries may very well discharge in non-linear fashion, but that doesn't mean that battery indication is also non-linear, this is a "smart battery" after all. And this aircraft already uses extremely complex algorithms to determine it's flight parameters and control response. If you guys are arguing the battery doesn't have any display output compensation for a simple discharge curve I would say that it is you who are displaying ignorance. Or perhaps you're just grasping at straws because you're overly invested in seeing this model deemed a failure.

Funny how it's the same people in every thread on here who crap on the P4. One defective machine was enough to set off DB, he couldn't fathom that his machine or battery was just a POS out of the box. Return it, get a replacement and carry on. How hard is that to figure out? We shouldn't expect these things to carry our ego around with them, in fact that's probably why yours was having major issues, DB. We know you attach your self-worth to the aircraft with every flight, how about you lighten up a smidge and see how things go?

My second P4 flies great and gets better battery life than my P3 by around 20-25%. I have not yet had any video dropouts or errors and my P3 had them constantly at under a mile range. This is a much better bird than my P3 in every way. It took me a single product return to get it right and I'm really glad I made that effort rather than stomping around the forums trying to brand P4 owners as ignorant fools or the latest smear - drug users.

Okay... Some people in this thread need to chill. Let's not get into personal attacks as that will definitely lead to some vacation time.

Thanks...
-slinger

running jack.gif

Reactions: Myetkt
Jussaman - "Plus I'm high and it's not ideal conditions so WHATS THE PROBLEM HERE?"

Excuse me Mr. Tron he admitted he was high. His words. He brought it up. It wasn't a smear. It was simply a fact. Next?

How do you figure I am "crapping on the P4?" I like the aircraft & have only ONE disappointment with the P4. It's battery life does not live up to specifications. This is simply a fact based on testing & flight data from three different batteries. Many others are noting similarly disappointing flight times so I'm not exactly sure what exchanging the aircraft is supposed to do? It isn't knocking the aircraft or wanting it to fail to point out actual battery life. OTOH pretending the P4 is perfect & covering over the battery shortcoming is a disservice.

Perhaps you will be kind enough to post some of your P4 flight data & battery life stats to add something constructive to the conversation?

I'm really glad I made that effort rather than stomping around the forums trying to brand P4 owners as ignorant fools or the latest smear - drug users.

Last edited:
I routinely get 20-21 minute flights from my P3A. My P4 has made it to 21 minutes twice (3x if you count the hover test). If I were getting "20-25%" better battery life from my P4 than my P3 that would equate to 24-25 minute flight times & I would have no complaint with the P4 battery. So I assume either you get really bad P3 battery performance, well above average P4 battery performance, or you are just talking smack since you have provided no data for comparison.

My second P4 flies great and gets better battery life than my P3 by around 20-25%.

Jussaman - "Plus I'm high and it's not ideal conditions so WHATS THE PROBLEM HERE?"

Excuse me Mr. Tron he admitted he was high. His words. He brought it up. It wasn't a smear. It was simply a fact. Next?

How do you figure I am "crapping on the P4?" I like the aircraft & have only ONE disappointment with the P4. It's battery life does not live up to specifications. This is simply a fact based on testing & flight data from three different batteries. Many others are noting similarly disappointing flight times so I'm not exactly sure what exchanging the aircraft is supposed to do? It isn't knocking the aircraft or wanting it to fail to point out actual battery life. OTOH pretending the P4 is perfect & covering over the battery shortcoming is a disservice.

Perhaps you will be kind enough to post some of your P4 flight data & battery life stats to add something constructive to the conversation?

High altitude now means drug use? Get real, dude. You're falling over backwards to discredit anyone with a different experience from your "nemesis." That's childish, boorish and a waste of everyone's time. We get that your P4 sucks, get it fixed and move on or go back to the P3 forum and gush about your favorite flyer. IDGAF what you do, really.

You want me to post my results? Well, I have no plans to toast my batteries to prove something to you by flying to 2%. Here are the logs from my last flight with P3 and P4. The results are pretty clear to me, but I'm sure you'll find a way to try and discredit them.

P3 interpolated: 18.5 mins --> Approx 20 min when adjusted for takeoff @ 93% battery
P4 interpolated: 26 min flight time

Screenshot_20160328-105011.png

Screenshot_20160328-104703.png

I'm certain many of us would appreciate the opportunity to review your actual P4 flight log instead of the imaginary "interpolated" version.

High altitude now means drug use? Get real, dude. You're falling over backwards to discredit anyone with a different experience from your "nemesis." That's childish, boorish and a waste of everyone's time. We get that your P4 sucks, get it fixed and move on or go back to the P3 forum and gush about your favorite flyer. IDGAF what you do, really.

You want me to post my results? Well, I have no plans to toast my batteries to prove something to you by flying to 2%. Here are the logs from my last flight with P3 and P4. The results are pretty clear to me, but I'm sure you'll find a way to try and discredit them.

P3 interpolated: 18.5 mins --> Approx 20 min when adjusted for takeoff @ 93% battery
P4 interpolated: 26 min flight time

View attachment 48754

View attachment 48755

I wonder how may of the people who are experiencing shorter flight times are in cold environments.
I use to fly my P3 at -50Celsius and get full flight time, the trick is to block all ventilation holes using white electric tape, then the battery will stay at it's optimal temperature of about 30C. :)

I'm certain many of us would appreciate the opportunity to review your actual P4 flight log instead of the imaginary "interpolated" version.

Here's the math, all the info is on the screen shot -

P4 flight time = 19 min divided by .73
P3 flight time = 12 min divided by .65 then add 7% and round up

You must have me confused with someone else as I have never said the P4 sucks. Nor have I ever implied that the P3 is some sort of wonderbird. It's just the one with which the P4 will be compared. Where do you conjure up this stuff? I wouldn't have $1700 wrapped up in a P4 if I felt it was a bad aircraft. The battery, however, is the P4's weak spot & remains a disappointment.

All this animosity from a guy I've never spoken to is terribly unhealthy. I suggest a bottle of Midol before you stroke out...

We get that your P4 sucks, get it fixed and move on or go back to the P3 forum and gush about your favorite flyer. IDGAF what you do, really.

Your math is hypothetical mambo-jumbo. It means nothing in the real world. If you are so confident in the legitimacy of your math fly the aircraft at 200' until a minute is left. You'll have plenty of time to safely land. At least so long as your interpolated math holds up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads