Solution for P4 range/battery life issues - Updated with Contact from DJI!

Did you return the P4?
Returning it tomorrow. Specs state that range would be 3.1 miles and I went 3.95 today with no problems. Battery is supposed to get approx 28 mins. Lame. I got 24.5 and had 1/10 of the battery left. I'm done with all the lies. When I get my $1400 back I'm going to make 1400 dollar bill airplanes and fly circles around all these P4s.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I've flown this same route over 150 times before with my stock P3P's and never lost signal, continuing on, to well over 3 miles. I am continuing testing with the P4 using Atti mode see if the battery life increases. I have solved the range problem, for me, by pairing the aircraft with my FPVLR modded RC, and reached 3 miles. Battery is the issue now, until I get a P4 battery modded. Already in the works! :D

GG - I'm getting more curious about the FPVLR product. Are you using a boosted one? Do you happen to have any idea if it could fit in a Go Professional Case? I'm thinking it might if it's easily removed. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ITs really unfortunate. I sold my P3P in anticipation of buying the P4, but Im holding off considering the news about the battery life and range. I wont be buying it unless its addressed, which means I'll be Phantomless. What a bummer.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dude, don't feel bad. I GAVE mine away as a wedding present in anticipation of buying the P4. Now my friend and his new wife are flying and I'm reading crappy posts about the crappy P4!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have had a P3P about 2-3 months. Just haven't been able to fly it much until the last few weeks due to weather.

I am not an expert by any means. But when I look at my flight logs for my P3P and the P4, there is a difference for me. Being somewhat new, I bring it in when it hits the 30%. On the P3P, I got around 15-18 minutes before I would hit 30%. On P4, 20-22 minutes. So about 5 minutes difference.

For me, its not a big issue right now. I am not flying far away or pushing the drone. Still taking it nice and easy; mostly keeping it in sight, and just learning how to fly.

My issues with the P4 are a gimble squeaking sound. And it doesn't seem to stabilize as quick as my P3P when I let go of the sticks.

My gimbal squeaks too!

Returning it tomorrow. Specs state that range would be 3.1 miles and I went 3.95 today with no problems. Battery is supposed to get approx 28 mins. Lame. I got 24.5 and had 1/10 of the battery left. I'm done with all the lies. When I get my $1400 back I'm going to make 1400 dollar bill airplanes and fly circles around all these P4s.

So you got more than the advertised range and if you would fly the battery to zero you would have had about 28 mins and you are returning it why? You guys are rediculous.

Oh dear it seems going from p3p to p4p is like going from windows 7 to windows 8, not surprised as they are chinese products.

So you got more than the advertised range and if you would fly the battery to zero you would have had about 28 mins and you are returning it why? You guys are rediculous.
I'm not. It was a lame response to a lame question. Read above.

Reactions: mmee1992
I believe most peoples complaining, did'nt even properly cycle their batteries...

I believe most peoples complaining, did'nt even properly cycle their batteries...

Absolutely

If your going out and pushing these new packs down to below 30% in the first 10-15 cycles your never going to realise it's full capacity.

You absolutely have to babysit these packs for 20 cycles then they will get their full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: isopro
Absolutely

If your going out and pushing these new packs down to below 30% in the first 10-15 cycles your never going to realise it's full capacity.

You absolutely have to babysit these packs for 20 cycles then they will get their full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm new to flying these and I read threads about cycling the batteries. I did it with my P3 batteries and I started with my P4. If you look at all my short flights in this pic, they all had approx 30-50% left when I was done. Then I saw all these people having range and battery problems so I wanted to try and see what mine would do. Look at the 24-25 min flights in the pic. They had 9 and 10% left. All these batteries have only been charged 2-3 times. I've seen some people say that you don't have to cycle the p4 batteries. What do you think? With the flight time I got out of these batteries with only a few cycles, do you think they are right that the P4 doesn't need to be cycled?

414fa72a8a7369fc758a395e1b8bae48.jpg

Last edited:
I'm new to flying these and I read threads about cycling the batteries. I did it with my P3 batteries and I started with my P4. If you look at all my short flights in this pic, they all had approx 30-50% left when I was done. Then I saw all these people having range and battery problems so I wanted to try and see what mine would do. Look at the 24-25 min flights in the pic. They had 9 and 10% left. All these batteries have only been charged 2-3 times. I've seen some people say that you don't have to cycle the p4 batteries. What do you think? With the flight time I got out of these batteries with only a few cycles, do you think they are right that the P4 doesn't need to be cycled?

Maybe they don't need to be cycled, but maybe it can also improve them, we would need extended testing with about 100 batteries to get proper chart and evidence of those theories. The only thing that is completely certain, is that every time you drop the battery below 20% it does cause some slight damage to the cell, and overtime will reduce the number of cycle available, and battery life, same thing if you let it heat over 50 Celsius.

Reactions: adambfarmer
I didn't cycle mine very strictly. Never been below 15 percent. I am getting times I am happy with....

Probably all occurred because you flew your P4 days before the official P4 software was released..........serves you right, especially with that bootleg RC you used.

Lol.

Reactions: adambfarmer
But your reply to a post 6 pages back made it all better.
Take it easy Francis, was just messing around and I personally don't care at all. Talk about the bible in the FC40 forum for all I care. If anyone knows how to take a ribbing around here, it would me. Learn to do the same.

Also, I was banned for two weeks for not listening to repeated warning about responding to the ribbing or I'm sure I would have said the same several pages ago. Either way, I was just messing around.

Call it a feeble attempt at humor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers