Solution for P4 range/battery life issues - Updated with Contact from DJI!

Mine is boosted. Won't fit well in a case, not easily removed, but if you want control and stable FPV at long range, it can't be beaten, assuming you pair it with something like the original W323 P3P and a battery mod. It will also get you the advertised 3.1 miles with the P4, with some video instability, but can't fix the battery lies of 28 plus minutes.
Again, go read my post in this forum. I got 24 on one flight with a very little to spare on a battery that was on like its third flight, in the cold way high up in a valley, surrounded by wind and electricity.

That's 4 minutes shy of 28. What am I missing???

HV's are 4.35v per cell and they are designed to be charged that high they are High Voltage LiPos or "LiHV", look it up. DJi isn't the only one that makes them or has them made.
I already know that, and to get more cycle, do as described ...

Dji recommends not deep discharging below 60% until 20 cycles.

Reactions: isopro
The battery cannot be flown to 0% because the aircraft is programmed by DJI to autoland at 10%. Surely, you are not suggesting that DJI based their 28+ minutes of flight time claim upon overriding their built-in 10% Autolanding function (which is designed to protect the battery from damage caused by depleting it below 10%) and running the battery all the way down to to 0%! :rolleyes:
Of course they did!!! They are in the business of making money and you most certainly can hover at 10% and not let it land. I've once put it like a half inch off the ground and let the battery fully discharge for a landing.

You think they are going to adjust for anything when they are trying to sell you a UAS? Not DJI or anyone else for that matter.

How many people here get the mpg on the sticker window? Probably not many.

I am just curious where they tell you this? I cannot find it anywhere in the P4 manual, battery manual or the quick start guide. If it's true both of my batteries are toast already. I run them down to ~15-20 percent every single flight.

I don't think DJi does. I believe they just say every 20 cycles to calibrate by going to 8% then charge back up to 100%. I had never heard of an official battery break in procedure from DJi.

I am just curious where they tell you this? I cannot find it anywhere in the P4 manual, battery manual or the quick start guide. If it's true both of my batteries are toast already. I run them down to ~15-20 percent every single flight.
Same here

I will see if I can find it. I actually followed their recommedations and flew only about 15-18 minutes until battery was no lower than 50 %.
I did miss it once or twice.

Also after this thread i did find( google) where keeping lipo batteries 100% charged at use and no lower than 50% for 20 cycles.
Something about storage chemicals inside that break down completely in 20 cycles so battery is balanced internally and gives longer life and full performance.

The proper way to take care of a lipo is pretty simple. Store it around 50% and never store if fully changed for more than a day or so. Also, do a full discharge at about 15-20 flights maybe.

That's from the horses mouth, so to speak. He said everyone tries to make a battery that has a shelf life of X and they spend hours and hours to possibly get an extra couple hours out of it.

Summary: fly it however you want (even brand new ones), just don't store it filled and make sure you discharge it at the right time.

Lipo care is not as difficult as everyone makes it.

Last edited:
You are overlooking the fact that DJI charge batteries to 4.30v witch reduce cycle count a lot, compared to if they were charged to 4.2v, and discharging any Lipo under 3.5v(DJI 0% is under 3.5v per cell) also reduce cycle counts more then if discharged down to only 3.6v-3.7v, im not talking about % numbers, im talking about actual voltage of lipo-cells, and how to get a LOT more cycles in exchange for shorter flight time in each cycle...It would not be at DJI advantage to advertise something that would considerably reduce sales of batteries, because peoples would get 15 min flights but 1000-2500 cycles per battery. This is not about DJI, it's about Li-po science, and how to get more cycles in exchange for shorter uses...
Most lipos have a lifetime limit of some 300-500 full discharge cycles. Whether you turn that into 600-1000 cycles by only discharging each time to 50%, or 1200-2000 cycles by only discharging to 75% remaining, the total battery life is the same, as long as you don't abuse the battery. Your battery is most likely going to outlive your aircraft, no matter how you treat it.:p

Reactions: Jussaguy
Again, go read my post in this forum. I got 24 on one flight with a very little to spare on a battery that was on like its third flight, in the cold way high up in a valley, surrounded by wind and electricity.

That's 4 minutes shy of 28. What am I missing???
The last 4 minutes! :rolleyes:

I will see if I can find it. I actually followed their recommedations and flew only about 15-18 minutes until battery was no lower than 50 %.
I did miss it once or twice.

Also after this thread i did find( google) where keeping lipo batteries 100% charged at use and no lower than 50% for 20 cycles.
Something about storage chemicals inside that break down completely in 20 cycles so battery is balanced internally and gives longer life and full performance.
I know it's hard to believe, but not everything you read on the internet is true, even if you used google to find it.:rolleyes:

I don't think DJi does. I believe they just say every 20 cycles to calibrate by going to 8% then charge back up to 100%. I had never heard of an official battery break in procedure from DJi.
That's because there isn't any break-in period on DJI batteries. It's an urban myth, perpetuated by people who remember it from early lithium batteries. It certainly won't hurt, but it also won't help, either. Those that still perform the break in battery ritual are like those that calibrate their compass before every flight, which actually can hurt! :rolleyes:

Sorry to throw this thread into yet another tangent but since we are on the topic:

Does anyone know exactly what is the 0% battery behavior in flight? Assuming a worst case scenario over water, do you have a minute or so of reserve in auto land at 0%? I don't plan to ever subject my batteries to this test even if an inch off the ground is the reason for asking.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Most lipos have a lifetime limit of some 300-500 full discharge cycles. Whether you turn that into 600-1000 cycles by only discharging each time to 50%, or 1200-2000 cycles by only discharging to 75% remaining, the total battery life is the same, as long as you don't abuse the battery. Your battery is most likely going to outlive your aircraft, no matter how you treat it.:p
Most Li-ions charge to 4.20V/cell(DJI 4.3V/Cell), and every reduction in peak charge voltage of 0.10V/cell is said to double the cycle life. For example, a lithium-ion cell charged to 4.20V/cell typically delivers 300–500 cycles. If charged to only 4.10V/cell, the life can be prolonged to 600–1,000 cycles; 4.0V/cell should deliver 1,200–2,000 and 3.90V/cell should provide 2,400–4,000 cycles. So by charging it by 10% less you get over 100% more cycles and usable total time out of your battery, in exchange to 10% less usable time per charge...
Please do some research instead of speculating, http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Because 400' AGL is not a rule imposed by 91-57a, it is part of a recommendation to adhere to best practices.
And, since none of the Phantoms can actually determine Altitude over Ground (AGL) you can easily be in a situation where you are 1500 feet above the transmitter and 100 feet off the ... ground. Perfectly safe from crazed Cessna pilots trying to clip trees.

When DJI puts in a decent X-band radar system to determine AGL, they are fine by me to put a 400 foot AGL ceiling on the bird. Until then, not so much.

I know it's hard to believe, but not everything you read on the internet is true, even if you used google to find it.:rolleyes:
You mis understood.

I read the not below 60percent until 20 cycles when i got the bird home immediately after purchase long before I ever read that same reference on the internet yesterday.

I would not have followed that breakin guideline all this time otherwise.

The proper way to take care of a lipo is pretty simple. Store it around 50% and never store if fully changed for more than a day or so. Also, do a full discharge at about 15-20 flights maybe.

That's from the horses out so to speak. He said everyone tries to make a battery that has a shelf life of X and they spend hours and hours to possibly get an extra couple hours out of it.

Summary: fly it however you want (even brand new ones), just don't store it filled and make sure you discharge it at the right time.

Lipo care is not as difficult as everyone makes it.
The DJI manual has given us all that we need to know as the quoted post above summarises. Has anyone got a damaged Lipo from flying their Phantom below 20% power?! Just do what the manual says!!! I do. If your Lipo explodes in a nuclear cloud, then DJI will have to replace it under misinformation! Can't go wrong! [emoji41]

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Give this man the trophy!

It's not worth worrying so much to save a few flights (MAYBE). Just do the general proper care and you won't cur your battery life in half or get an extra 50 flights out of it once the P6 is out and you already sold your P4 battery for $40 to a guy just "getting into the hobby"

The last 4 minutes! :rolleyes:

What are you getting at? I am not trying to prove DJI right or wrong. Again, I have no horse in this race. To me 24 minutes flying time with a spec of 28 with time remaining is pretty on par with the specs, especially if you factor in the time I didn't fly that the battery had left, the windy, high altitude, and using all methods flying I was doing.

Go drive around your neighborhood in your i3 BMW and tell me if you get the EPA advertised MPG.

Now go on the highway with you Ford F1t50 and tell me if you the rated highway miles it advertises.

I am not getting into this conversation again. Any response to this by you, with no offense to you, will be ignored by me. I am not going to be in another one of these. I am really not sure why so many people here want to argue so bad. If this PhantomPilots was my house and we were in the bible, it would be the rusty corner and the memebers would be the contentious wife.

Last edited:
Reactions: maseman88

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart