Request for Assistance with Futaba and Question on Fly Aways

Reaction score
I had two questions:

1. Does the purchase of a Futaba 8FG Super with FASST deminish the possibility of a fly away with Phantom 2, it sounds like their transmitter is significantly better than what is found with stock controller? Does the FASST Technology make a difference and improve the linkages, in reviewing other fly away posts no-one that I've seen has commented on this.

2. Is there anyone available in the Rhode Island/ Massachusetts area who can assist me with receiver install and controller setup? Reading all the blogs and support forums trying to figure out how to do this is proving very challenging. Obviously I'm happy to make a payment to compensate you for your time and efforts. I'm just getting very confused how to setup the entire controller. I'm just hoping there's someone local who can provide a bit more assistance than what I see on the forums.

My main concern is to upgrade the linkage between controller and Phantom 2 (prevent fly away) and also to upgrade the range that is possible with Phantom 2.

Thanks!

Re: Request for Assistance with Futaba and Question on Fly A

Arseniaa said:
I had two questions:

1. Does the purchase of a Futaba 8FG Super with FASST deminish the possibility of a fly away with Phantom 2, it sounds like their transmitter is significantly better than what is found with stock controller? Does the FASST Technology make a difference and improve the linkages, in reviewing other fly away posts no-one that I've seen has commented on this.

2. Is there anyone available in the Rhode Island/ Massachusetts area who can assist me with receiver install and controller setup? Reading all the blogs and support forums trying to figure out how to do this is proving very challenging. Obviously I'm happy to make a payment to compensate you for your time and efforts. I'm just getting very confused how to setup the entire controller. I'm just hoping there's someone local who can provide a bit more assistance than what I see on the forums.

My main concern is to upgrade the linkage between controller and Phantom 2 (prevent fly away) and also to upgrade the range that is possible with Phantom 2.

Thanks!

There has been a lot of discussion on this but most of it is speculative. Some things we do know:

• The P2 TX/RX is significantly upgraded from the P1 version.
  • There have been very few flyaways with the stock P2 TX/RX. Of those, none have been verified as TX/RX issues.
  • Some users have had amazing range results with the stock P2 TX/RX.
  • The P2 uses a version of FASST. Whether or not it is the exact same implementation with the same robustness as in the 8FGS system is unknown.

Having bought myself an 8FGS for the same peace of mind you are looking for, the stock system has proven to be very good. You will likely have just that little bit more safety with the 8FGS system but the margin is much smaller than I first thought. The 8FGS is great for the advanced controls and essential for filming so worth it for that alone. I have a write up and profile on this forum which should help you get going. I'd paste it here but I am writing this from a tablet while sitting in the world's most boring meeting.

IanWood - Thank you so much, you're absolutely right in that it appears that Phantom 2 seems to have seriously upgraded their controller/receiver link. Hence the reason why I'm thinking, "Should I go through all this trouble." That said I'd prefer the Futaba receiver just for that extra piece of mind. At the same time I really don't feel like taking apart the Futaba Controller to intall the centering spring for the Throttle (I really like that feature in the stock controller). I'll try to link to your posts to see if I can find the instructions, frankly I was hoping there was someone around my area who can assist me because I'm definatley nervous doing all of this by myself. I already bought the Futaba from Amazon it's just sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. I also got the 400mm wires for the Futaba receiver, I heard those can make a fair amount of difference on the range.

Arseniaa said:
I also got the 400mm wires for the Futaba receiver, I heard those can make a fair amount of difference on the range.

Absolutely, these are essential. Fit these to the Rx before you install it on your P2. The whole process is of replacing the receiver is well documented in several posts on this forum

Futaba 8J
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7688

Futaba T8FGS
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8358

Futaba 14SG
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6205

Antennae Placement
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7573#p67649

Between them they should offer you a perfect route to install. The best advice I can offer is take your time and use the right size tools to take the P2 apart.

Good Luck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl