Unlocking to fly in a Class E airspace

Reaction score
I'm using a Phantom 4 RTK with the built-in screen on the controller (controller GL300N) and need to map an area (about 40 acres) that is partially in Class E airspace that extends to the surface. I've received a LAANC Authorization for a couple of days from now. Am I going to run into a DJI Unlocking issue? I've been trying to figure out the process to do that on this controller but haven't been able to find instructions that fit the menus on this particular controller. Any advice? Thinking of just going out to see if I can fly or if I get grounded by DJI and go from there. Thanks.

You shouldn't need any authorizations to fly in Class E airspace.

I use 'Aloft' (formerly KittyHawk) app to obtain any authorizations needed to fly in controlled airspace such as Class C or Class D. These authorizations are FAA approved using KittyHawk.

Last edited:
GEO fencing has gotten my several times in several airspaces. Props wouldn't even start. One time on the west coast it was locked, then a year later I was able to fly in the same place.

I think he might be referring to the dreaded DJI geofencing.
Yeah, might be. Class E airspace shouldn't be a problem.

I downgraded my firmware many years ago that introduced the DJI GeoFencing garbage into the updates.

Birds fly great with no issues. No altitude or distance limits.

Will never again update my firmware. Ever. 😄

Class E is controlled airspace, but we only need LAANC approval for some of the Class E surface areas. Most of Class E starts at 700’ AGL so unless you have a §107 certification and are inspecting towers you should not be entering that airspace.

Go to the FlySafe website referred to by @ArnoldLeVine using a full browser on a PC and apply for an unlock if needed for the site you wish to fly. You can select by authorization zone or selecting the area on the map.

Reactions: Rob Levine
Class E is controlled airspace, but we only need LAANC approval for some of the Class E surface areas. Most of Class E starts at 700’ AGL so unless you have a §107 certification and are inspecting towers you should not be entering that airspace.

Go to the FlySafe website referred to by @ArnoldLeVine using a full browser on a PC and apply for an unlock if needed for the site you wish to fly. You can select by authorization zone or selecting the area on the map.
Yes I've gotten to many places with LAANC approval only to find out the Geofence stopped me. If there's at all a question check the Geofence before going out. Once approved you import the unlocking then when on site you activate it. The things I noticed was the Geofence was red in some areas that are underneath areas that extend out from runways.

Reactions: BigL
It can be difficult to unlock GEO Fencing in some remote areas. Of course it can be done in advance. It's also a long process to unlock; especially if difficult to see the screen.

I'm using a Phantom 4 RTK with the built-in screen on the controller (controller GL300N) and need to map an area (about 40 acres) that is partially in Class E airspace that extends to the surface. I've received a LAANC Authorization for a couple of days from now. Am I going to run into a DJI Unlocking issue?
The great news is that there is no way for anybody to know the answer to this question. The better news is that even DJI is unwilling/unable to answer this question for you. And finally, the bestest™ news is that you won't find until you are on site with the drone fired up and trying to fly. This is why ALL of my drones are hacked.

Discuss.

D

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Login in to your DJI account, go to FlySafe. You first need to add yourself to the "Pilot Management" tab and your aircraft to the "Device Management" tab. If that all goes thru, click "+ new unlock request". Click again and get a window to choose "Self Unlocking Request" and click on "Zone Unlocking" and confirm. Choose the aircraft and pilot and click next. Type in the city and the map will show if there is a GeoZone in that area. If no GeoZone, you won't need to Unlock it. If there is, It shows up as a blue oval with a red stripe in the middle. If your planned flight location is within the blue you can proceed for an automatic unlock. If it's in the red you may not be able to get unlocked. The you need to start your AC and RC and Find the unlock geozone and follow along. Good luck.

And the hacking secret is???
I can't give away that information in a public forum (and not in PM, either). Plus, it's multi-layered and fairly complex. I can tell you that one of the hacking parameters is NFZ's. Now that you know a hack (solution) exists, you can do your own research. Run...be free....explore...

D

Ha! Guess I have to enter the dark web for that. Hope I make it back...
Bring a flashlight. It's dark in there.

Once you've done some initial research, if you have any specific questions regarding the hacks, I may be able to answer those. But honestly, I hacked these drones 6 years ago and still fly them (yes, zero crashes in 6 years). Last crash was due to a prop failure.

So, my memory of the exact procedure is limited.

Anyway...good luck.

D

Reactions: CoreySnipes
Bring a flashlight. It's dark in there.

Once you've done some initial research, if you have any specific questions regarding the hacks, I may be able to answer those. But honestly, I hacked these drones 6 years ago and still fly them (yes, zero crashes in 6 years). Last crash was due to a prop failure.

So, my memory of the exact procedure is limited.

Anyway...good luck.

D
Both my birds fly free also. Just have to use a little common sense and all is good.

Hmmmm......ABQ huh? My older brother lives there on Antequera NW. Dude is crazier than I am tho. Just an old hippy. 😂

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka