Phantom Simulator

Ok figured it out. I had to install the motioninjoy ps3 controller software and calibrate. All working now :) You have to do this to use a ps3 controller at all in windows.

MrC said:
Ok figured it out. I had to install the motioninjoy ps3 controller software and calibrate. All working now :) You have to do this to use a ps3 controller at all in windows.

Thanks for posting the solution to that problem. It will certainly help others using a USB PS3 controller.

I just downloaded this program tonight for my MAC. Im using the USB radio that came with Realflight Flight Simulator. Seems to be working just fine. I can finally get some practice time in so I can learn how to fly the Phantom.

Panotaker said:
I just downloaded this program tonight for my MAC. Im using the USB radio that came with Realflight Flight Simulator. Seems to be working just fine. I can finally get some practice time in so I can learn how to fly the Phantom.

Thats a good result. Nice to add a new tested controller option. Enjoy the sim.

Hi,

I'm a Bay Area amateur photographer and former Army Huey pilot who is really enjoying combining my flying and photography skills with the Phantom 2. Ultimately, I want to fly FPV with the Phantom 2 to get the best videos, so simulator practice is essential.

I recently succeeded in setting up HELI-X5 on my iMac connected to a JR X9303 transmitter with the USB cable from All e RC shown here: http://www.allerc.com/gws-usb-simulator ... -2989.html. I could not get HELI-X5 to work with my RealFlight controller or with a PhoenixRC cable connected to any of my transmitters (Spektrum, Futaba or JR). The USB cable seems to have made the difference. I anticipate that HELI-X5 and the USB cable will work with any transmitter; I just selected my JR for the initial set up.

Thanks to Bob Evans' and Shrimpfarmer's posts on this forum, I have also been able to configure HELI-X5 to fly FPV using the fully functional (unrestricted) version with the 3-D Heli Flying Field. Many thanks to both of you.

I definitely recommend a simulator for all aspiring Phantom FPV pilots.

Thank you Shrimpfarmer and everyone for this interesting and informative thread.

I thought I would update with some new information re: controllers.
On a whim, I purchased a PS4 controller to use with my MacBook (OSX 10.9.2) to run F1 2013 from Feral Interactive.
I was able to pair the PS4 controller via bluetooth quite easily and the game natively supported the controller over bluetooth.

That gave me an idea to try it with Heli-X (version 5).
I am able to use the controller WIRED via USB and calibrate the controller in Heli-X but the program gives a "Controller Not Found" error when trying to use it via bluetooth. By process of elimination I know that the controller does work and is recognized over BT (because I can play F1 2013 this way).

I will keep searching for a solution to get this working over BT but it's nice to have the BT option to make the controller portable between my computers.

tl;dr
PS4 controller confirmed to work WIRED only in Heli-X 5 on MacOS X 10.9.2

Next project: see if http://dx.com/p/usb-simulator-cable-for-futaba-jr-fs-r-c-remotes-4603# cable will work.

Seems like a lot more forum members are trying the simulator now. Its good to see that people are having good success with a variety of controllers. Thanks for posting the update folks.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Seems like a lot more forum members are trying the simulator now. Its good to see that people are having good success with a variety of controllers. Thanks for posting the update folks.

Just bought a "rock candy" PS3 wireless controller at Walmart for $24 USD. Works fine with HELI-X 5.0 in Windows 8.0 on my Lenovo laptop.

Thank-you to Shrimpy and Peter and jondrew for the details on setup.

But I still have a few questions... What are the big differences between the trial and paid version? Peter Evans mentioned the paid program is way better... Why? Will I be able to program the controller buttons and keyboard functions the way I want them in the paid version? Will the profile curves that Peter posted be allowed to save in the paid program?

Glad we helped. I've become co-dependent on helicopters now and ended up getting a Spektrum DX6i for my E-Flight Helis. It plugs into my iMac for Heli-X with a USB dongle and I don't use the playstation controllers anymore. Actually, I never even fly the quad on a sim. The Phantom is so easy to fly compared to a heli there almost seems no need to practice on a Sim. But I will say that a real radio plugged into your computer is 1000 percent better than the PS controller. Too bad the Phantom controller won't work.

outlaw704 said:
But I still have a few questions... What are the big differences between the trial and paid version? Peter Evans mentioned the paid program is way better... Why? Will I be able to program the controller buttons and keyboard functions the way I want them in the paid version? Will the profile curves that Peter posted be allowed to save in the paid program?

Programmable
Saves your configurations
No waiting for it to start
Lots more scenarios
FPV available on 3D scenes. I have it set so that pressing 'F' on the keyboard toggles between normal view and FPV

On my Windows version the Heli Training School is not photo realistic (except for the Phantom itself). It would be nice if it was but it's not a big deal.

I don't think any sim has a photorealistic 3d flying field. Maybe that will change when we are all using 3d virtual reality goggles. I wonder if it would work in 3d if I used airplay to send my Mac screen to my 3d tv and told it to fake a 3d view. Probably make me feel ill.

:)

But joking aside, I'm sure I've seen pics or video of you on that Heli field and it is 'photo realistic' (i.e. as per several of their other airfields where FPV is not available). Therefore I assumed it was OK on the MAC but more basic early 90s game style on the PC

Peter Evans said:
:)

But joking aside, I'm sure I've seen pics or video of you on that Heli field and it is 'photo realistic' (i.e. as per several of their other airfields where FPV is not available). Therefore I assumed it was OK on the MAC but more basic early 90s game style on the PC

There are many photorealistic fields for the sim but none of them are able to turn the scenery as you fly around an object. Thats the reason the 3d field is computer generated. Its a shame because many 3rd person shooters can rotate photorealistic objects and have done so for years. Helix X is developed by one person though so they don't have the budget to do it.

Trying to get the sim to work on iMac running 10.9.2 and cannot get anything to work.
First attempt let me try to set sticks. I saw movement in the blue bars that show movement. Nothing happened after that.
Re-installed a fresh download, reset the brand new Sony PS3 wireless controller and tried to get to the setup menu again. This time I get a controller can't be found. I've had bluetooth connection the whole time.

I've got ShrimpFarmers tutorial in front of me, but haven't been able to get that far yet. In fact I really don't know if the controller is turned on right. I hold the power button down and the lights blink, but then again they keep blinking even after I hold down the same button trying to shut if off. And of course what sparse directions that came with it don't have any explanations either.
Since I"m an old fart who's never played a video game in my life I feel a bit handicapped and may have thrown $40 down the crapper on a controller.

Can anyone help the old gezzer out?

Ok lets try and get this sorted out for you.

When you connect the PS3 controller to your Mac does it show as connected in the Bluetooth menu. It can be displayed in that menu but not be active.

Can you confirm its a PS3 controller and not a PS4?

If you get a message no controller found stop, shut HeliX down, then ensure its connected in the Bluetooth menu. Provided its shown as connected and HeliX does not say there is no controller those instructions should work.

If it does not report back with what is happening.

I gave it a rest, then acted like a 10 year old and started mashing buttons...
Shazaam, it appears to be working now, sticks to down and in even get the motors started.
I'll begin my training and see what happens.

Now the only problem is with my Flisight 7" monitor, it's not very bright, got it set to NT something or other, and can't figure out how to change from meters to feet on the screen.

Shrimpfarmer,

I don't mean to jump into the middle of this discussion, but I couldn't figure out how to get to you otherwise.

I'm a newbie to the whole R/C flying experience. I bought a Phantom 2 Vision and have been reading everything I can regarding it's use and behavior. I have a ton of learning to do. One area of interest is a simulator.

I followed your advice, bought the 6CH USB controller from Amazon, down loaded Heli-X (Windows 7 64 bit), followed your excellent setup instructions, and was flying in the Sim in 15 minutes. There's now way on earth I could have figured out the setup without your help. I just had to thank you.

Jim

JimmyVal said:
Shrimpfarmer,

I don't mean to jump into the middle of this discussion, but I couldn't figure out how to get to you otherwise.

I'm a newbie to the whole R/C flying experience. I bought a Phantom 2 Vision and have been reading everything I can regarding it's use and behavior. I have a ton of learning to do. One area of interest is a simulator.

I followed your advice, bought the 6CH USB controller from Amazon, down loaded Heli-X (Windows 7 64 bit), followed your excellent setup instructions, and was flying in the Sim in 15 minutes. There's now way on earth I could have figured out the setup without your help. I just had to thank you.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Good to hear you have got it working. Getting the sim to practice on means you should remain crash free in the real world. If you master the sim flying the real thing will be simple.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl