Phantom Simulator

Discovered a new thing to practice on the sim today. Turn the wind on with a constant direction then practice placing the phantom in the sky and simulating drifting with the wind over a particular target. I was trying to do this for real today and realised I need some practice. :oops:

All of this is very new to me and so far I have had 3 flights with my P2V and it performed flawlessly, very impressive.
I stumbled on the simulator topic and purchased it earlier today and have been running it the past couple of hours.
There appears to be quite a lot to learn setting up and using the simulator but I am so glad to have this group for new information and other things to enjoy the P2V.

Many years ago I tried a gas helicopter and it was more than a handful - In comparison the P2V is a piece of cake. Without the GPS hover I would be in big trouble quick <smile> :)

Macdougal said:
I stumbled on the simulator topic and purchased it earlier today and have been running it the past couple of hours.
There appears to be quite a lot to learn setting up and using the simulator but I am so glad to have this group for new information and other things to enjoy the P2V.

Shout if you need any help getting it to work.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Discovered a new thing to practice on the sim today. Turn the wind on with a constant direction then practice placing the phantom in the sky and simulating drifting with the wind over a particular target. I was trying to do this for real today and realised I need some practice. :oops:

That's another thing that are a little bad, even when the wind is turned off the Phantom are just drifting, and way to much. Even when you choose to practice indoor its still drifting a lot, which it (in my mind) shouldn't.

Celt in Siam said:
Just tested this on a PC, and like on a MAC it does not work.

Ok, let's hope DJI/Heli-X take note and issue a fix.[/quote]

We cant expect DJI to read all the post in here, so that why we should do this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6157

Please read it and maybe make a comment so we can get it started.

Macdougal said:

Many years ago I tried a gas helicopter and it was more than a handful - In comparison the P2V is a piece of cake. Without the GPS hover I would be in big trouble quick <smile> :)
Same here. On a whim I bought and built a Shuttle Plus nitro engined heli. I took it into the garden to test the engine and as soon as I realised the power of those 4' diameter rotor blades I leapt back in fear ! Despite many, many hours on the sim I never had the courage to fly the thing for real ;)
I then moved onto a T-rex and again many hours on the sim and I never really got any further than a stable hover and reasonably straight line flying until the fun ended with a large heli/earth impact !
The PV2 is totally different and it is so easy to fly by comparison.
Edit: apols for thread drift

pault said:
[Despite many, many hours on the sim I never had the courage to fly the thing for real ;)
Edit: apols for thread drift

No need to apologise for the thread drift because actually you make a very pertinent point and one that deserves further comment. Flying any RC device can be scary. Your mind knows that a huge financial investment could be dashed to pieces and there is the additional fear that you don't have the knowledge to rebuild it from scrap.

Many people struggle to make the transfer from simulator to real world and it nearly happened to me when flying gas helicopters. I could fly all the none 3d manoeuvres in the sim but I just couldn't bring myself to turn my helicopter nose in towards me for real. I got through this by giving myself a strong talking to and forcing myself to embrace the fear and just do it. After all if you can 100% control the simulator YOU CAN CONTROL THE REAL THING. (Thats me shouting at myself) Anyway the day came and I turned nose in. Guess what, it flew just like the simulator and the spell was broken. I think most people are going to experience this mental boundary sooner or later. Just remember if you can fly the sim you can fly for real.

Klaus said:
That's another thing that are a little bad, even when the wind is turned off the Phantom are just drifting, and way to much. Even when you choose to practice indoor its still drifting a lot, which it (in my mind) shouldn't.

I agree Klaus the sim is far from perfect but it is all we have to help us practice with a Phantom model at the moment. The problem is that Heli-X is not currently able to simulate GPS lock. Its really simulating ATTI mode which does not use GPS. So in reality even on a flat calm day a Phantom in ATTI mode would move around a little. It would be nice to also practice with simulated GPS lock. I will contact the developer and see if this can be added.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Klaus said:

I agree Klaus the sim is far from perfect but it is all we have to help us practice with a Phantom model at the moment. The problem is that Heli-X is not currently able to simulate GPS lock. Its really simulating ATTI mode which does not use GPS. So in reality even on a flat calm day a Phantom in ATTI mode would move around a little. It would be nice to also practice with simulated GPS lock. I will contact the developer and see if this can be added.

Ok thanks for that, your effort and help is much appreciated.
Yes I know we are flying without the GPS, but it must be easy to make it just hover, at least when you are flying indoor. I haven't tired in real life flying the Phantom indoor and wonder if it would hover perfectly even with out GPS. Have you tried that?
By the way I had a play with your suggestion about the problem with the Phantom rotating. I never got rid of it, anything else than setting it to 0 make it rotate even more, so I guess that is the best we can do for now, but maybe another thing you could ask the developer about.
Thanks again
Klaus

Hi Klaus

Please can you give details of the exact controller and operating system you are using. I am beginning to suspect it may be the issue rather than settings within the sim.

Anyone using the sim and who are happy with the performance of their controller are invited to post details of the device and a link to where you got it from if possible please.

One other thing people may like to practice is night flying. The phantom models light do glow if you turn them on as shown here.

Then turn the screen brightness down as far as you like to simulate darkness. I like 20% myself.

If you turn the brightness down to 0 then you can see how challenging it might be to fly in the pitch dark with only your lights to guide you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 13.28.23.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 13.28.23.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 560
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 13.28.52.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 13.28.52.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 593
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 15.08.57.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 15.08.57.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 559
Klaus said:
Hi again
Im using Windows 7 64Bit and this is the controller:
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=1584

Hi Klaus

I have had a closer look at your controller. Now I am sure you know this already so forgive me for stating the obvious but hey we are trying to stop the rotation. Your controller has trim tabs which my PS3 controller does not. You have checked the yaw tab on the left stick to see if moving that stops the spin?

Re: Phantom Simulator Rumblepad setup? anyone

I am trying to use a Logitech wireless Rumblepad but cannot figure the settings for the axis
If anyone is using this controller please let me know your settings for the controller. Thanks :)

Re: Phantom Simulator Rumblepad setup? anyone

Macdougal said:
I am trying to use a Logitech wireless Rumblepad but cannot figure the settings for the axis
If anyone is using this controller please let me know your settings for the controller. Thanks :)

I take it you have tried to copy the tips I gave earlier in the thread. If you calibrate the sticks as described it should work for any controller that Heli-x can read. Also once calibrated make sure the correct axis is chosen in the boxes as per the two example pictures shown. Those shown in my screen grab are the ones you need.

Good luck and let us know if you get it working or need more help.

I have an AMD with a 7500 video card. It runs version 5.0 just fine. I use a Logitech F310 controller and it works great.

However, I have an ASUS solid state laptop and I can't get the controller to work well. The sim works in all other respects but the dead zones on the sticks cause gross movements instead of gentle acceleration/roll/etc. This is a known issue for F310s and Logitech has refused to offer any fixes (at least that is what the big boys at the pool hall say). I find it strange that the controller works on my desktop just fine.

I'm going to pick up a rumble pad and see if that can work (dead zone issues seem less/removable).

Shrimpfarmer said:
Noël said:
I'm using the "Hobbyking 6CH RC Flight Simulator System (Mode 2)" with heli-x (PC).

Working great.

More info @ http://e2b.org/8o

Hi Noel

Not sure if your using the Phantom Model but if you do have it what are your impressions on how it flys compared to real world? Also with your controller are you able to assign commands to any switches? I can't get Heli-x to recognise any PS3 controller buttons. Its a shame as being able to flick between idle up 1 and 2 in the sim would be useful.

Did you ever get Heli-x or recognize PS3 buttons? I set it up last night and was able to do it. I can get you a button map if you have not already done so

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31