Phantom Simulator

jondrew said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Noël said:
I'm using the "Hobbyking 6CH RC Flight Simulator System (Mode 2)" with heli-x (PC).

Working great.

More info @ http://e2b.org/8o

Hi Noel

Not sure if your using the Phantom Model but if you do have it what are your impressions on how it flys compared to real world? Also with your controller are you able to assign commands to any switches? I can't get Heli-x to recognise any PS3 controller buttons. Its a shame as being able to flick between idle up 1 and 2 in the sim would be useful.

Did you ever get Heli-x or recognize PS3 buttons? I set it up last night and was able to do it. I can get you a button map if you have not already done so

If you have a button map then please share for the benefit of all sim users. I didn't get it to work well so I have been using two keyboard keys.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I'm using the "Hobbyking 6CH RC Flight Simulator System (Mode 2)" with heli-x (PC).

If you have a button map then please share for the benefit of all sim users. I didn't get it to work well so I have been using two keyboard keys.
Will do. I'll try to post it tonight, it took about 20 minutes because I was distracted watching the Daytona 500 last night. Not sure if there were more wrecks in that race or in my first hour on the Sim.

I was a bit disappointed as the only buttons I felt were worth assiging were zoom in and zoom out. The two Idle control buttons (#1 and #2 on the keyboard) really dont seem to do much unless you hold them down. Unlike the keyboard shortcut they are not "sticky" and the engines crank back up as soon as you let go.

The toggle FOV (Center, Top , Low) only seems to toggle between Center and High.

You cannot assign "FPV Toggle" as it can only be assigned to a keyboard shortcut for some reason.

I just downloaded this app and had 3 fly aways and multiple prop replacements! Where's the RTH function? This is a cool program and much less forgiving than the real P2V, but it's a good practice tool for those windy/snowy days. ;)

Duke131 said:
I just downloaded this app and had 3 fly aways and multiple prop replacements! Where's the RTH function? This is a cool program and much less forgiving than the real P2V, but it's a good practice tool for those windy/snowy days. ;)

Thats what I like about it, if you can control the quad in the sim then flying the real thing is simple.

Duke131 said:

I had a long few weeks of training on the sim (due to horrible weather) and took a new P2 out - it got caught in a huge wind around some very tall trees in ATI mode and I directly credit the time on the sim with a save of the aircraft.

The only thing that really bothers me is that I'm now doing limited aerobatics in the sim - I hope I don't get all macho and try it with my P1.

ladykate said:
Duke131 said:

I had a long few weeks of training on the sim (due to horrible weather) and took a new P2 out - it got caught in a huge wind around some very tall trees in ATI mode and I directly credit the time on the sim with a save of the aircraft.

The only thing that really bothers me is that I'm now doing limited aerobatics in the sim - I hope I don't get all macho and try it with my P1.

Well if you can do it in the sim then there is no reason at all why you couldn't do it for real. Just get plenty of height and be ready to flick it back into GPS mode. :lol: If you try it though please make sure you have a spotter filming it. ;)

Time spent on the sim will repay itself very quickly as you discovered. Good to hear you regained control.

Shrimpfarmer said:

I think I got this right. I actually only am using zoom in and zoom out on buttons 8 and 10. Things like Pause and Freeze view only work for as long as you hold the button, so its kind of worthless. But, for anyone interested here's the map.

PSMap_zps979e79db.jpg

jondrew said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

I think I got this right. I actually only am using zoom in and zoom out on buttons 8 and 10. Things like Pause and Freeze view only work for as long as you hold the button, so its kind of worthless. But, for anyone interested here's the map.

PSMap_zps979e79db.jpg

Hi Jon, thats brilliant mate. Thanks for sharing it, that makes life a lot easier, and not just for the sim as the Ps3 controller can be used for games on the Mac as well.

At Shrimpfarmer's request, I've uploaded screen shots of my Hel-X setup to http://www.peter-evans-photographer.com/p917979095

These show:
1. My 'Stick Mods' for an X-Box controller (converted to USB) using two plaster-board screws :lol:
2. Screen shots of my Heli-X configurations for : Stick, Key, Flight Mode, and Camera
3. Sample images of the Heli-Flying Field option, which I find to be the best of all the airfield choices

I've arrived at these settings after a lot of fiddling and fine-tuning and I find that they give me (as near as I can remember) similar control and response to that which I had on my P2V

I've set download permissions as 'On' for anyone who wants to have the full resolution images close at hand (they average 1800 x 1200 and are all less than 400 kb)

The paid-for version of Heli-X is way, way better than the trial version. When I get my P2 + Sony RX100 setup in about 10 days time, I'm going to be having 2,000 euros worth of gear in the air; compared to that, 50 euros spent helping me to keep it safe (as well as other people and property around it) seems to me to be a low-cost and very worthwhile investment

Peter Evans said:
At Shrimpfarmer's request, I've uploaded screen shots of my Hel-X setup to http://www.peter-evans-photographer.com/p917979095

These show:
1. My 'Stick Mods' for an X-Box controller (converted to USB) using two plaster-board screws :lol:
2. Screen shots of my Heli-X configurations for : Stick, Key, Flight Mode, and Camera
3. Sample images of the Heli-Flying Field option, which I find to be the best of all the airfield choices

I've arrived at these settings after a lot of fiddling and fine-tuning and I find that they give me (as near as I can remember) similar control and response to that which I had on my P2V

I've set download permissions as 'On' for anyone who wants to have the full resolution images close at hand (they average 1800 x 1200 and are all less than 400 kb)

The paid-for version of Heli-X is a way, way better than the trial version. When I get my P2 + Sony RX100 setup in about 10 days time, I'm going to be having 2,000 euros worth of gear in the air; compared to that, 50 euros spent helping me to keep it safe (as well as other people and property around it) seems to me to be a low-cost and very worthwhile investment

Thanks for that Peter.

Shrimpy

Peter Evans said:

These show:

Great! Thanks for sharing. I have Heli-X on two machines and it operates differently on each. I've found that on my laptop, I have about the same EXP and null adjustments but on my main machine (which has a completely different CPU/Graphics/Memory) the EXP and Null figures are almost stock. You definitely have to play a bit with the adjustments to get it where you want it.

ladykate said:
Great! Thanks for sharing. I have Heli-X on two machines and it operates differently on each. I've found that on my laptop, I have about the same EXP and null adjustments but on my main machine (which has a completely different CPU/Graphics/Memory) the EXP and Null figures are almost stock. You definitely have to play a bit with the adjustments to get it where you want it.

Heli-X is quite confusing to set up. I finally have it configured to operate with my DX6i transmitter that I use for my helicopters. Saw some comments ladykate had on the Heli-x forum that have helped. The Phantom and Helicopter models in Heli-x are much "squirlier" to fly than the real thing. Makes it very difficult to practice left side/right side/nose in flying which is where you start getting over disorientation problems. Even with " no wind" settings the quad/Heli tends to wander and take off much more rapidly than my limited experience with real flight has shown.

Not sure if there is a better sim macs or not

Hi all, i am new at quadcopter scene. Been lurking through this forum some time now. I finally ordered my P2, so i decided to download the simulator and use my PS3 controller. The big question is: Is heli-x5 similar to the real world in controlling a phantom? because i am really having a hard time getting used to controls. I have flown Rc planes with out trouble, but the phantom in the simulator is giving me a hard time. Is it identical to the real world? easier, harder? Thanks a lot.

lg54 said:
Hi all, i am new at quadcopter scene. Been lurking through this forum some time now. I finally ordered my P2, so i decided to download the simulator and use my PS3 controller. The big question is: Is heli-x5 similar to the real world in controlling a phantom? because i am really having a hard time getting used to controls. I have flown Rc planes with out trouble, but the phantom in the simulator is giving me a hard time. Is it identical to the real world? easier, harder? Thanks a lot.

You may be suffering from the same problem I had until Shrimpfarmer put me straight. By default, the Phantom in Heli-X starts in manual mode. Press the spacebar to start it in 'Atti' mode, et voila!

You can see my settings by looking at this post http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5087&start=60#p81089 but that's for an X-Box controller. Somewhere in this thread (or another that this is linked to) Shrimpfarmer has published his PS3 controller settings.

Peter Evans said:
lg54 said:
You may be suffering from the same problem I had until Shrimpfarmer put me straight. By default, the Phantom in Heli-X starts in manual mode. Press the spacebar to start it in 'Atti' mode, et voila!

Hmmm I can't get that to work?

How can you see what mode you are starting in?

happydays said:
Any update on whether it can be used with the stock DJI comtroller plugged in? I have both a 2.4 and a 5.8 controller.

Thanks

CBS

No it cant.

Hi, I have downloaded Heli-x but it doesnt seem to work with my ps3 controller plugged in via usb. In the command prompt window it says "controller found, playstation 3 controller" then found button 1-18 and Analog ZYX axis etc. Controller config file found and read. But when trying to use or calibrate in heli-x i get no response at all.
I tried with a joystick I have lying around (logitech extreme3D Pro) and was able to completely calibrate and use it no problems.

Any ideas why my ps3 controller doesn't work? Dont have bluetooth in my pc hence why connected by the usb but it clearly sees it, it just doesnt work.

Thanks for any help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl