Phantom Simulator

For a controller for Heli-X that works with Mac or Windows, I went to Walmart and bought a USB PS3 controller for about $14.00. Had to open it up and cut the wires that went to the vibrator motors, otherwise it made me nuts (bzzzzzzz). Works just fine.

I am glad someone else got this working on a Mac, I was beginning to think I was imagining it :D

If anyone is struggling to get a wireless PS3 controller to work on the Mac then get a pin and use the flat head to insert it into the tiny hole on the back of the controller.

You should feel a slight click as you depress the reset button.
Then use a usb cable to connect it to your mac.
Open Bluetooth Preferences.
You should see the PS3 controller listed and the red lights should be blinking on the actual controller.
Then press and hold the PS3 button for about 3/4 seconds.
Then remove the usb cable by just pulling it out and remove it from the controller.
You should now see it listed as connected.

Shrimpfarmer said:
This is a short clip of the phantom model in the Heli-x simulator. The sim has lovely photo-realistic scenery but this clip is using a simulated 3d flying field which brings other benefits, e.g. flying FPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkOdIDo4xo

This sim gives me plenty of stick time when the weather is bad.

Hi
I bought a USB controller and the software Heli-x but find it very difficult to fly.
I know you can modify a lot of things to your liking but its just drifting away and rotating to much, and as soon it comes a little away from you it's impossible to see what way it's heading. Do you find the same?
Also the wind is set to 0 so why is it still drifting so much?

Shrimpfarmer said:
Elginet said:
No Phantom for Phoenix Sim yet huh?

Not that I know of. Its a shame. Any quad will do for flying practice, however its only when you have an accurate visual model of the phantom can you start learning how to control it when its a speck in the sky and you have lost orientation. I don't plan on letting mine get that far away in the real world but its good to have a strategy should a malfunction take it away.

Just use the compass on your mobile, it will tell the orientation.

Klaus said:
Hi
I bought a USB controller and the software Heli-x but find it very difficult to fly.
I know you can modify a lot of things to your liking but its just drifting away and rotating to much, and as soon it comes a little away from you it's impossible to see what way it's heading. Do you find the same?
Also the wind is set to 0 so why is it still drifting so much?

Hi Klaus

Which usb controller did you go for Klaus? I use a PS3 controller via bluetooth. In 'idle up 1' mode in the sim my phantom model stays pretty much stationary without wind. I would describe it as being very similar to flying in ATTI mode. There is no gps simulation going on so it does not hold its position like the real phantom would. If I activate wind then yes it certainly drifts with the wind.

I have rock solid stability in yaw mode though. Mine only turns to the left or right when I command it to. There is a menu option that shows you how the controller is set to operate. On the PS3 controller its very similar to the real DJI transmitter in that the normal stick positions are centred. You can fine tune the centre position of these sticks by adding or subtracting one point at a time. I did this to remove a very slow climb. Having said that I find the control has been improved in the latest V5 of Heli-X.

The simulator is more difficult than flying the real thing for a number of reasons. The first is that you only have a narrow field of view compared to the real world. Also the resolution of most monitors is nowhere near as good as the human eye so when its far away there is not the resolution to see its orientation.

In my opinion these limitations with the sim are actually its strengths as a training tool. If you master the sim which anyone can with dedication and practice then flying the real phantom will be simple. By mastering the sim I mean being able to make the model do whatever you want it to do 90% of the time with simulated wind. Don't torture yourself with wind until you reach that level without it :)

I wish you well with the sim. Please do share what controller you have tried as it will help others. I really hope that DJI give us the ability to use the stock controller as a USB controller for simulations, then it would be perfect.

I was under the impression that the P2V Tx could be used as the Heli-X Sim controller if you connect via the micro USB port. Can anyone confirm as I was about to extend the micro USB port to the outside of the case?

Celt in Siam said:
I was under the impression that the P2V Tx could be used as the Heli-X Sim controller if you connect via the micro USB port. Can anyone confirm as I was about to extend the micro USB port to the outside of the case?

I have tried this on a Mac and it didn't work. I can't speak for windows. My reasoning was that if I run DJI Assistant plugged into my Phantom I can see the sticks move in the assistant when I move them on the Tx, this shows that OSX is reading the stick positions fine. So I had all that running and then booted up Heli-X. Couldn't get Heli-X to see the Tx at all.

Writing a driver to read the stick and switches of the DJI Tx is probably not that hard to do. Trouble is I don't know how to do it. I have tried looking this up on the web and its clear that their are routines within the programming app to read usb devices but its beyond my pay grade otherwise I would do it.

Anyone with programming skills in the community want to have a crack at writing the driver to allow us to use our DJI Tx with a usb cable plugged into it to fly within the sim? I am pretty sure the person responsible for Heli-X would be interested.

Noël said:
I'm using the "Hobbyking 6CH RC Flight Simulator System (Mode 2)" with heli-x (PC).

Working great.

More info @ http://e2b.org/8o

Hi Noel

Not sure if your using the Phantom Model but if you do have it what are your impressions on how it flys compared to real world? Also with your controller are you able to assign commands to any switches? I can't get Heli-x to recognise any PS3 controller buttons. Its a shame as being able to flick between idle up 1 and 2 in the sim would be useful.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Not sure if your using the Phantom Model but if you do have it what are your impressions on how it flys compared to real world?
It's does not feel the same.
Obviously depth perception is missing, and with the sim I've got to keep it really close to see the front and the back of the Phantom. (could be my video card)

After 1/2 hour I got bored and started to try and land on things.
I've managed to land it on top of one of the club houses.
Looping, rolling and things like that are way to easy on the sim.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Also with your controller are you able to assign commands to any switches? I can't get Heli-x to recognise any PS3 controller buttons. Its a shame as being able to flick between idle up 1 and 2 in the sim would be useful.
I've not been able to set this on the controller.
I will have another look later to see if this can be set within the program.

I think that the (any) sim is good for stick orientation, but I'm past that learning stage (I'm used to fly nitro RC helicopters)

Shrimpfarmer said:
Elginet said:
No Phantom for Phoenix Sim yet huh?

Not that I know of. Its a shame. Any quad will do for flying practice, however its only when you have an accurate visual model of the phantom can you start learning how to control it when its a speck in the sky and you have lost orientation. I don't plan on letting mine get that far away in the real world but its good to have a strategy should a malfunction take it away.

Ya know the beeping sound trucks make when they go backwards? That might be useful to add to a phantom for controlling from long distance and you can't see it. Pulling back on the stick makes it tweet and blink lol

I have tried this on a Mac and it didn't work. I can't speak for windows. My reasoning was that if I run DJI Assistant plugged into my Phantom I can see the sticks move in the assistant when I move them on the Tx, this shows that OSX is reading the stick positions fine. So I had all that running and then booted up Heli-X. Couldn't get Heli-X to see the Tx at all.

Writing a driver to read the stick and switches of the DJI Tx is probably not that hard to do. Trouble is I don't know how to do it. I have tried looking this up on the web and its clear that their are routines within the programming app to read usb devices but its beyond my pay grade otherwise I would do it.

Anyone with programming skills in the community want to have a crack at writing the driver to allow us to use our DJI Tx with a usb cable plugged into it to fly within the sim? I am pretty sure the person responsible for Heli-X would be interested.[/quote]

Shrimpfarmer, the Heli-X website says it should work on both PC and MAC. Like you , I assumed that since the TX micro USB sends stick positions out maybe it will work with the sim program. I have emailed Heli-X to see if the DJI TX can be used so will let you know the response.

Celt in Siam said:
I have emailed Heli-X to see if the DJI TX can be used so will let you know the response.

Thanks for doing that, I look forward to hearing the reply they send you.

Heli-X has its own Facebook fan page. I just posted this message on there.

Hi. The DJI Phantom Quadcopter is growing in use. Lots of us Phantom owners would love to see Heli-X operate using the DJI transmitter. You can plug a usb cable into the DJI Tx but so far there are no drivers for it to work. Please consider working with DJI to allow us to fly the sim with the DJI transmitter. Thanks for what your doing.

Would be great if other phantom owners could echo this message, maybe we might then be able to use the DJI Tx.

Link to Heli-x Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HELIminusX.net

Good idea to get their attention on Facebook!

The reply I got from Heli-X as follows

"Please try it. I am not sure.

Michael"

I'm waiting on delivery of my mini USB extender so I'll check it out then and let you know.

When I am using Heli-X the Phantom are rotating a little all the time which makes it hard to control.
How can I make it not to rotate?

Klaus said:
When I am using Heli-X the Phantom are rotating a little all the time which makes it hard to control.
How can I make it not to rotate?

Hi Klaus

I tried to replicate your problem this morning and I can make mine spin without stick input so maybe this may help you. Have a look at this photo.

Note this is version 5 of hell-x where you have to click the screen to see the setup menu as its no longer at the top of the window. (I am using a Mac).

See that I am in the "Flight Mode' menu.
In the Idle Up1 menu Look at the Rudder Expo box. Mine is normally set to 0. By dialling that down to -100% my Phantom spins without stick input. Have a play with that slider to see if you can cancel out or at least minimise the spin.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Expo 0.jpg
    Expo 0.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,141
Celt in Siam said:

Just tested this on a PC, and like on a MAC it does not work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.