Phantom Simulator

Reaction score
I didn't bother with my transmitter, U just used an old PS3 controller via bluetooth. I use a Mac and as yet I have not come across a transmitter that works with the Mac. Heli-X is available for Mac, PC and Linux. Using a PS3 controller is not as good as using a transmitter but then again its no big deal as its all about learning the stick movements and its plenty good enough for that.

Shrimpfarmer said:
This is a short clip of the phantom model in the Heli-x simulator. The sim has lovely photo-realistic scenery but this clip is using a simulated 3d flying field which brings other benefits, e.g. flying FPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkOdIDo4xo

This sim gives me plenty of stick time when the weather is bad.

Shrimpfarmer, does it have the controls already configured? I've tried the demo version, using a generic quad, but I couldn't configure the controls for the life of me.

Mind sharing the config with me?

Monster2

I don't think I have a config file to share but I will check. In order to fly the phantom model you have to buy the full version, however any quad will do for practice.

All I did was configure the game controller.

1. Make sure your controller is already connected and recognised by the computer. In my case I just need to link it via bluetooth.
2. Then start the sim
3. Menu - Configuration - Controller
4. In pop up window click sticks
5. Centre your sticks - click next
6. Move all sticks to maximums - I just circle mine at full tilt - click next
7. Give maximum positive collective pitch ( I push the left stick all the way up) - next
8. Give maximum cyclic roll to the right - (Push right stick furthest right) - next
9. Maximum cyclic pitch forward - (Right stick all the way forward) - next
10. Rudder stick maximum left - (Left stick all the way left) - next
11. Message saying its finished
12. Just click ok boxes to return to sim - no need to save settings

Heli controller should then be ready to fly.

Ooops - forgot an important step!

Assign a switch or keyboard key to idle up 1 and another to idle up 2 otherwise the engines will not start! Idle up 1 gives you normal stabilised flight mode, idle up 2 gives you full manual control.

Note

On my PS3 controller the aircraft constantly wants to climb gently, so I always need a little negative stick. If you have a propper controller hopefully it will just hover for you with hands off sticks.

Hope this helps

Thanks for helping out Shrimpfarmer!

How are your stick's assigned to the functions?
Mine look very suspicious. Can you please show yours?
HxmGIj5.jpg

I guess that's my problem, I have no idea what cyclic roll/nick/etc mean for a quad.

Hi

This is a picture of mine. However I see your using a PC and mine is from a Mac. I guess you choose the titles for the controller from the various drop down menus on the axis. My version of Heli-X did that automatically during the setup.

Mmmm how do I add a photo to the post ? I have tried attaching it, lets see if that works?

Attachments

• Helix-X.jpg
    Helix-X.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 5,492
Shrimpfarmer said:
Looks like you have a controller with less noise than mine :)

That did the trick! Thanks!
With the demo quad, with sticks in central position, it flies straight up, and it's hard to keep it in a fixed position. I guess that's a feature of the quad, and won't be a problem with the Phantom.

I have a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2, and it's nice, but the sticks are non-linear, and feels a bit weird.

I also have a this, http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B005SNO4C4/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I'm gonna try next, before I spring for the full Heli-X.

Thanks a lot for this! I've posted on Heli-X and a couple of other forums, couple of weeks ago, but nobody was able to help me!
Thanks!!

Elginet said:
No Phantom for Phoenix Sim yet huh?

Not that I know of. Its a shame. Any quad will do for flying practice, however its only when you have an accurate visual model of the phantom can you start learning how to control it when its a speck in the sky and you have lost orientation. I don't plan on letting mine get that far away in the real world but its good to have a strategy should a malfunction take it away.

What is the best simulator for the P2V?
There is Heli-x, Real Flight 6 or 7, and ... what else?

Perhaps this is discussed elsewhere?
If so, a link please?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20