Phantom 4 stress crack

Interesting, I checked going and coming I received the same bird.

So, after putting my P4 under nice light I'm wondering if this is a crack? It looks like it but the surface feels smooth? I've flown it 2 times with kit gloves.
2f6f5f76220063098f84c04fa32f9a3d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's not a crack... Mine has that exact same line on one arm. I believe it's a wire that sits against the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RanC
Sure looks like a crack in the making to me. What wire runs to that screw.

I can see through the screen with a flash light... It looks like there are two wires that run right beside the screw to me.

I tried to get mine to move. It's not a crack though.

Take the flash light and seal it agains the LED cover and it will back light it

View attachment 55851 Here it is folks. My first phantom 4 stress crack. It did manage just over 120 flights which is a lot more than I ever did on any previous generation phantom before this happened. Lucky for me I bought a spare which until today I thought I would never need. Looks like I need it. Lucky for me it happened in one of only two days I will be home for the next month or maybe two. While I slowly built up a lot of trust in the phantom 4 shell, I still ordered a spare phantom 4 out of habit. Oh well. I have to admit, 120 high and far flights is a lot more than I managed on any prior phantom before a crack showed up. But yeah, they still crack. At least now I know where.
DJI designers have failed again.

im a pixel peeper. How exactly is the camera so much better on the Autel versus the Phantom 3.. They use exactly the same Sony Exmor sensor in the Autel X star premium, Phantom 3 and P4. Pretty much the exact same sensor in the Sony action camera. The difference would be in the glass only. I'm not convinced by the specs or the videos that the Autel or DJI is appreciably better.

Still waiting for someone to put a better sensor delivering a higher bitrate. Until then the differences between the systems will not be huge. Just my .02

I'm curious: does Autel have access to third party apps? Just curious? Don't take it as a slight if they don't. After using Litchi I have determined that this is functionality that I will not do without on any future purchases.

Last edited:
It's not a crack... Mine has that exact same line on one arm. I believe it's a wire that sits against the shell.

At this point I too believe it's from the mold and not a crack. The 2 front arms on my P4 show this 'mark'. One arm shows the mark branching up and to the right. The other shows the mark branching up and to the left. They look like mirror images. One is harder to see (and successfully photograph) than the other. Obviously I will be watching these closely for awhile just in case.

Yep, same here I think there from the mold. In order to release many molds have several dies. Actually I find those seams very smooth, they did a good job, I just hope the bird does not crack to soon. I like to fly fast but try to limit g force on my bird and hope it helps.

Reactions: jogforfitness
The technologies great but the build quality on Chinese products are questionable like the days when most plactic crap said "Made in Hong Kong" like the saying goes, slightly adapted but - you have a Chinese meal feel full but an hour later need another meal due to being hungry again. - you buy a DJI UAV its cracks so you end up buying another differant model but maybe the same problems sadly. Don't get me wrong l love P3P and Inspire V2.
I remember As a kid, our toys would say made in Hong Kong or China, and they would break in our hands, complete junk, of course I'm an old guy and this was the 70s

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Maybe DJI just needs to discontinue the Phantoms and design something totally new from input from us fat wallet pilots. Love my P4 but getting boarded with the color and shape. Maybe something like the inspire, but a hex, a bit smaller, 360 degrees crash avoidence, retracts, redundancy gps, cool body, parachute, built in flir with the normal camera, all for under 1700.00. I know...Im dreaming.
They make one, it's called the Typhoon H

For me my P4 is a flying camera, yep I like to fly in p mode sometimes and bank hard because it's lotsa fun, it's still a flying camera. If I get the need for speed I will get a racer. Forces applied to the craft are to the square so twice the speed is 4 times the force. I have almost 1,000,000 feet and the craft is just like new. I think about these forces when I fly because I would like the bird to stay as dependable it can be. And for the price of this type of flying technology 1400 us is real cheap, I paid 30% more in Canada and this bird is worth every penny. My wife is having so much fun she told me if we lose it we will just get another one. (gota love that woman)
That's what you bought it for, for me it's a way to get a live view of where I am going and what I am looking at. I use the "camera" part, never really, sure I'll take a vid or two but just because you have your translation, doesn't mean your way is the only way. I'm getting tired of ppl saying "it's this and not for that so....bla bla bla"
The camera is for seeing, for you it may be history (pictures) but let's stop this holier then thou crud.
You and others by theses remarks "infer" that unless we fly like YOU do, we aren't "using it correctly" and it's kind of a passive aggressive slap in the face.
And this isn't directed just at you, your certainly not the only one to say these types of things, but let's get this straight, it doesn't matter HOW you fly, how far, or fast, these shouldn't be cracking because we don't baby them around like some of you guys.
I've got over 200miles in 3 months, I'd say I'm one of those users who USE theirs, and if I want to zoom around in sport mode all the time (I don't) the dang thing shouldn't crack

In a perfect world yep, would be nice and my $60,000 car never breaks. I fly my bird pretty hard but I also know how to gradually transfer energy to reduce shock stesses, I do this with all my toys and they last a long long time. But thats just me I live it every day, I'm also a professor of mechanical egeneering in a college and understanding loads are my thing.

In a perfect world yep, would be nice and my $60,000 car never breaks. I fly my bird pretty hard but I also know how to gradually transfer energy to reduce shock stesses, I do this with all my toys and they last a long long time. But thats just me I live it every day, I'm also a professor of mechanical egeneering in a college and understanding loads are my thing.

Excellent advice. A+

They make one, it's called the Typhoon H

I'm glad I waited to buy one of those... the horror stories over at yuneecpilots

Reactions: m0j0
I remember As a kid, our toys would say made in Hong Kong or China, and they would break in our hands, complete junk, of course I'm an old guy and this was the 70s

My favorite was playing Cowboys and Indians with replica Colt 45 cap guns made from Chinese pot metal. Even the belt and holster that they came with were made in China

Reactions: Sim597
My favorite was playing Cowboys and Indians with replica Colt 45 cap guns made from Chinese pot metal. Even the belt and holster that they came with were made in China

Greenie Stickem caps.

I'm glad I waited to buy one of those... the horror stories over at yuneecpilots
Really? I've visited twice and don't see near that many "horror" stories, must be different pilots.com man.
I'm not going to try to justify MY purchase by inflating or, deflating another device. The **** Typhoon H seems to be pretty decent a bird, people seem to really like it, and it's issues are not that big, from what I've seen.
Now, I'm open to a link tho?

I'm just saying, don't really see any big issues at all over there, take a look for yourself anyone that is curious, I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't think my wife would leave me lol. Or at least be pissed enough to make me miserable.
I do realize and most don't, the 5.8ghz freq does not carry well at all in cabling, it's twice as bad as our 2.4ghz, and that loses 6.8dB every 100' in EXCELLENT LMR-400 cable at a tad over $1 a foot. In any FCC power legal device sold, if using normal cable, in 30' you won't even have a signal, that's 2.4ghz so, mounting external antennas like a lot of us (me) are doing, the 5.8ghz barrier will be a hard one, talking 10' run in good cable, the 50' runs we are doing we would lose more then half our dBm in signal loss

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Really? I've visited twice and don't see near that many "horror" stories, must be different pilots.com man.
I'm not going to try to justify MY purchase by inflating or, deflating another device. The **** Typhoon H seems to be pretty decent a bird, people seem to really like it, and it's issues are not that big, from what I've seen.
Now, I'm open to a link tho?

I'm just saying, don't really see any big issues at all over there, take a look for yourself anyone that is curious, I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't think my wife would leave me lol. Or at least be pissed enough to make me miserable.
I do realize and most don't, the 5.8ghz freq does not carry well at all in cabling, it's twice as bad as our 2.4ghz, and that loses 6.8dB every 100' in EXCELLENT LMR-400 cable at a tad over $1 a foot. In any FCC power legal device sold, if using normal cable, in 30' you won't even have a signal, that's 2.4ghz so, mounting external antennas like a lot of us (me) are doing, the 5.8ghz barrier will be a hard one, talking 10' run in good cable, the 50' runs we are doing we would lose more then half our dBm in signal loss

The sister forum to this one. Release week there was an active thread discussing other QC issues with the controller and erradic flight behavior. Other threads ranging from broken landing gear to more recently, misaligned camera lenses. I'm waiting a few more months

Been a while since I sold my P3P and I've been thinking about getting in to the hobby again. It's either the P4 or the Typhoon H. After reading this thread, I think I have already made up my mind. When the hell is DJI going to get their **** together and build a Phantom that doesn't have these stupid stress crack problems???

I said it once and I will say it again, P4 is like Windows Me, better to wait for P5 :)

Reactions: m0j0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka