Phantom 4 stress crack

Reaction score
20160602_181912.jpg
Here it is folks. My first phantom 4 stress crack. It did manage just over 120 flights which is a lot more than I ever did on any previous generation phantom before this happened. Lucky for me I bought a spare which until today I thought I would never need. Looks like I need it. Lucky for me it happened in one of only two days I will be home for the next month or maybe two. While I slowly built up a lot of trust in the phantom 4 shell, I still ordered a spare phantom 4 out of habit. Oh well. I have to admit, 120 high and far flights is a lot more than I managed on any prior phantom before a crack showed up. But yeah, they still crack. At least now I know where.

here we go again

Reactions: pomonabill220
I think the only clue to this coming was some squeaking when handling the phantom that I hadn't heard before. The stiffness of that motor's mounting, right rear, is gone. Lots of flex now. It's a shame that this age old DJI problem is still there in spite of the far stronger shell design.

Well, I'm not new to cracks. Just go and dig up my phantom 2 vision plus stress crack threads. Plenty of 3 as well. I figured that, if the 4 cracks, I'd certainly be in that bunch. My flights are all at 400 feet agl, average 10 kilometers mileage. It's all about the millage when it comes to exposing the weaknesses in structural integrity. Lots of miles flown at full forward speed. I do almost zero hovering.

Back when I was cracking phantom 2's and 3's, I would get pissed off at the situation. Now I sort of gave up. These things just crack. Keep a spare. Crack, send it in, fly the spare. Get it back, shelf it and wait for the spare to crack. Oh well.

I'll jump In as well. I have 2 hair line cracks at the back end of my bird (at the bottom) and one just above the micro sd card, crazy!!!! I've flown it less then 1 hr...
I wasn't gonna hassle with it. Got a RMA sent it yesterday. Good thing, I have plenty of back ups, but it's ridiculus, this is happening again

Last edited:
The design is far better than p3 I think. It's just the quality of the plastic. After all, the same plastic is on the controller. Who ever had to send in a Futaba or Spektrum from the case splitting open? I never had to.

Reactions: Sim597
View attachment 55851 Here it is folks. My first phantom 4 stress crack. It did manage just over 120 flights which is a lot more than I ever did on any previous generation phantom before this happened. Lucky for me I bought a spare which until today I thought I would never need. Looks like I need it. Lucky for me it happened in one of only two days I will be home for the next month or maybe two. While I slowly built up a lot of trust in the phantom 4 shell, I still ordered a spare phantom 4 out of habit. Oh well. I have to admit, 120 high and far flights is a lot more than I managed on any prior phantom before a crack showed up. But yeah, they still crack. At least now I know where.
Bighi, tell if I'm wrong but I remember you posting about p3 cracks back in the day... Mine isn't that bad. Get RMA like I did

You're right. But not just p3. Dig deeper and you'll find my p2 stress crack threads. I have never crashed anything from DJI. But I had cracks in every single one. Can't somebody make a drone with a strong enough shell? I'm willing to pay two grand for a phantom that does not crack.

You're right. But not just p3. Dig deeper and you'll find my p2 stress crack threads. I have never crashed anything from DJI. But I had cracks in every single one. Can't somebody make a drone with a strong enough shell? I'm willing to pay two grand for a phantom that does not crack.
Is this tough enough?

Reactions: StreaMDrone

I like my Phantoms BUT I LOVE my Inspire 1

The P4 is a better build than the p3, but it feels like a toy compared to the Inspire.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj