Phantom 4 stress crack

Really? I've visited twice and don't see near that many "horror" stories, must be different pilots.com man.
I'm not going to try to justify MY purchase by inflating or, deflating another device. The **** Typhoon H seems to be pretty decent a bird, people seem to really like it, and it's issues are not that big, from what I've seen.
Now, I'm open to a link tho?

I'm just saying, don't really see any big issues at all over there, take a look for yourself anyone that is curious, I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't think my wife would leave me lol. Or at least be pissed enough to make me miserable.
I do realize and most don't, the 5.8ghz freq does not carry well at all in cabling, it's twice as bad as our 2.4ghz, and that loses 6.8dB every 100' in EXCELLENT LMR-400 cable at a tad over $1 a foot. In any FCC power legal device sold, if using normal cable, in 30' you won't even have a signal, that's 2.4ghz so, mounting external antennas like a lot of us (me) are doing, the 5.8ghz barrier will be a hard one, talking 10' run in good cable, the 50' runs we are doing we would lose more then half our dBm in signal loss

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The issues are small ones BUT remember what we all say...NEVER buy the 1st release of anything. Wait for the 2nd or 3rd release and its perfect. I love the H It will be my main bird eventually selling both my Phantoms. The 360 deg rotating gimbal is such a great feature for the price, especially with the obstical avoidance being able to face the forward direction its travelling in when the camera is 90 deg looking at u in ur car as u drive. That works a treat. saves u having to keep an eye out for trees. Very happy with the H

this is crazy. I have so many flights on mine including one terrible crash and still no cracks

So, after putting my P4 under nice light I'm wondering if this is a crack? It looks like it but the surface feels smooth? I've flown it 2 times with kit gloves.
2f6f5f76220063098f84c04fa32f9a3d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I also have this line under my right front propellor, I've checked it with the dji reseller in my country, and every phantom 4 he have is with this "crack", so it most be mold

I said it once and I will say it again, P4 is like Windows Me, better to wait for P5 :)
It is a great bird definitely better than the P3 but it is not a huge jump. Same Sony EXMOR 1/2.3" sensor.

Reactions: zacksomeone
The 360 deg rotating gimbal is such a great feature for the price
I want one...not buying yet though. I really am curious about the 360 camera how much would I actually use it. I can think of some very cool applications that could really take advantage of that feature but at this point I don't think 3rd party applications are available. At any rate the Typhoon would be my choice today If I were buying. I'm waiting for the dust to settle.

Yeah, if Best Buy had the Typhoon H when I bought me phantom 3 then traded it in like 35 days later for the 4, and thought the H would be there in time to again turn it in for the typhoon, I would have done that but it took too long. Now I 3 batteries and a bunch of stuff for the P4 and, I know it is easier to just walk out and fly on literally no notice, the H takes more time to set up, from storage for sure

The issues are small ones BUT remember what we all say...NEVER buy the 1st release of anything. Wait for the 2nd or 3rd release and its perfect. I love the H It will be my main bird eventually selling both my Phantoms. The 360 deg rotating gimbal is such a great feature for the price, especially with the obstical avoidance being able to face the forward direction its travelling in when the camera is 90 deg looking at u in ur car as u drive. That works a treat. saves u having to keep an eye out for trees. Very happy with the H
So, you have both? And you like the H better? Some guys were saying "all the problems, I don't see any real issues over there on the threads. I'll say it again, only because in an hour we are gonna install two top side antenna, the 5.8ghz signal loss is tremendous, the cabling like 1" thick and even thicker for real gov't jobs, to get a signal that tall to carry, isn't in the realm of most ppl, I wouldn't try it

I said it once and I will say it again, P4 is like Windows Me, better to wait for P5 :)
If everyone waited for everything there would be no market for this type of stuff, while your waiting, I'll fly my P4, and I'll buy the next H or a P5

Great.
You're the second to say such.
I just posted DJI docs, didn't write them.

So, you have both? And you like the H better? Some guys were saying "all the problems, I don't see any real issues over there on the threads. I'll say it again, only because in an hour we are gonna install two top side antenna, the 5.8ghz signal loss is tremendous, the cabling like 1" thick and even thicker for real gov't jobs, to get a signal that tall to carry, isn't in the realm of most ppl, I wouldn't try it

Yep its great. All new birds have issues. But those that have been found with the H are easy fixes. Even start up time can be reduced heaps by doing a couple of things as it boots up. more ppl have one, the more they experiment and find better ways to speed things up. I have never seen a new drone that was perfect from new. The H was something i was hoping DJI would introduce last year but they decided to shelve it. So Yuneec was ready to produce the H back then and they got it 98% right. Firmware updates will sort out the rest. and all improvements will be available on the H, in other words, ya don't have to buy a new bird to add all the new features. They will be available to use on the H. BUt miles ahead of everything else is yuneecs customer service. They are the best. Repairs are taking between 7 and 16 days returned to the owner by courier. Very important to me if things go wrong to have yuneec fix it and answer every call people make. Not wiat 2 weeks for an email. Dont get me wrong, I lovemy P2's but this H is great.

Reactions: Sim597
DJI just replaced cracked frame on my 6-month old P3P under warranty. Out and back in one week.
Same circumstances for me. Out and back in a week. Did we ever figure out if the P4 had a crack or was that a wire.

Reactions: Sim597
Seems DJI is feeling the heat from Yuneec, CS has gotten miles better already, of course they're starting below the bottom as their rep precedes them

From what I gather at this point the picture I posted is that of a mold mark. Some others have reported having the same marking as well.

Some news folks. I sent the cracked P4 to DJI in Europe and it should be shipped back to me in a couple of days. Completely free of charge. That's the good news. The bad news is that I've been flying a brand new spare P4 and just an hour ago DJI go said updates required. It was for the controller. After the required restart the controller got bricked. So I guess I'll have to send that in as well. While I do have a spare controller, it's four hours away at my other apartment. Sucks. But anyway, DJI is covering these shells as well.

View attachment 55851 Here it is folks. My first phantom 4 stress crack. It did manage just over 120 flights which is a lot more than I ever did on any previous generation phantom before this happened. Lucky for me I bought a spare which until today I thought I would never need. Looks like I need it. Lucky for me it happened in one of only two days I will be home for the next month or maybe two. While I slowly built up a lot of trust in the phantom 4 shell, I still ordered a spare phantom 4 out of habit. Oh well. I have to admit, 120 high and far flights is a lot more than I managed on any prior phantom before a crack showed up. But yeah, they still crack. At least now I know where.

you dont have to fly with that crack, It is harmfull. please take anew one

I also have this line under my right front propellor, I've checked it with the dji reseller in my country, and every phantom 4 he have is with this "crack", so it most be mold

Thank god I found this post. I have exactly the same its on both front arms. Shine a bright light through you can see it clearly. It don't look like a stress crack. I've never crashed. And never landed hard. Looks like a moulding mark to me too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why is this thread still going? The P4 I have has the exact same thing as the original pic. It's a mold line, or possibly a wire.

I happen to believe it to be a wire against the plastic inside. You can trace it through the vent. It's not a crack.

I didn't notice the 'lines' at the end if the arms before. Hoping they too are mold marks. Mold marks also circled before the light/closer to the body on the front 2 arms. The surface still feels smooth over it. Anyone else see these at the end of the arms?
13ad0c5ac0cb4ba252c58e9625d42f76.jpg
143c0f3c2d01a4069112f1650edffb57.jpg

And the fact you can light penetrates the 'mold mark' so clearly makes me wonder if it will lead to issues down the road.

992043400570686eed93d1e0ed35ceb8.jpg
26ee323c51990af1e4ba392697bc1854.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveGSY

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka