Phantom 4 stress crack

No matter how much DJI attempts to reinforce the frame, plastic is going to occasionally crack, especially when excessive forces are applied. Like many, I've read countless posts in regards to this topic however, most P3 and P4 owners never have an issue. Undoubtedly, some that have experienced the cracked shell issue, fly very aggressively. Some may have had the problem due to overtightened screws, minor crashes etc. DJI has responded by reinforcing frames in the Phantom which definitely cutdown on the number of complaints I've witnessed on this forum however, the issue still exists. FW upgrades reducing descent and ascent speeds also will contribute to reducing the number of reported problems. The Phantom is lightweight, fragile and was never designed or sold as a product designed to be flown aggressively.

No matter how much DJI attempts to reinforce the frame, plastic is going to occasionally crack, especially when excessive forces are applied. Like many, I've read countless posts in regards to this topic however, most P3 and P4 owners never have an issue. Undoubtedly, some that have experienced the cracked shell issue, fly very aggressively. Some may have had the problem due to overtightened screws, minor crashes etc. DJI has responded by reinforcing frames in the Phantom which definitely cutdown on the number of complaints I've witnessed on this forum however, the issue still exists. FW upgrades reducing descent and ascent speeds also will contribute to reducing the number of reported problems. The Phantom is lightweight, fragile and was never designed or sold as a product designed to be flown aggressively.
I wonder if changing the braking sensitivity could help reduce the likelihood of a crack. There's seems like a lot of stress exhorted when braking. Only a guess. I'm tinkering with my settings. Presently changed it from 100 to upper 80's. Trying to observe the differences between it and 100. I'm no engineer. Only a guy with a drone taking guesses attempting to reduce the likelihood of a stress crack.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

See a crack in frame, apply epoxy and get on with life.

See a crack in frame, send it back for replacement and get on with life. It's a defect that should be covered.

So, after putting my P4 under nice light I'm wondering if this is a crack? It looks like it but the surface feels smooth? I've flown it 2 times with kit gloves.
2f6f5f76220063098f84c04fa32f9a3d.jpg

It only looks like a mold line to me, the line continues smoothly around the fastener and down the fuselage.

YMMV...you can see the info on the site I linked.

Can't hurt to try.

In these situations, the answer is always No if you don't ask!

I can't either so I posted a link to the published information.

I would use a little very thin super glue around the zips once applied, the shell is ruined anyway. you must restore the integrity of the shell and motors if they twist easily they will only get worse, the glue may stop the twisting flux between the compromised shell halves

I've heard that super glues (cyanoacrylates) don't play well with some materials and some of those are plastics. It might be worth trying to find out what the bird is made from and looking for an appropriate glue. When a glue is well matched with the materials it is gluing the result can be a very strong bond.

I don't know how many folks are old enough to remember the model car and airplane glue from back in the day. I think they outlawed it due to substance abuse (sniffing). If I recall correctly it would actually melt the plastic parts and when hardened the result was one piece of plastic. They were welded.

I've heard that super glues (cyanoacrylates) don't play well with some materials and some of those are plastics. It might be worth trying to find out what the bird is made from and looking for an appropriate glue. When a glue is well matched with the materials it is gluing the result can be a very strong bond.

I don't know how many folks are old enough to remember the model car and airplane glue from back in the day. I think they outlawed it due to substance abuse (sniffing). If I recall correctly it would actually melt the plastic parts and when hardened the result was one piece of plastic. They were welded.
I would think EPOXY is the way to go.

When cured, epoxy IS plastic. When mixed with small strands of fiber, epoxy is carbon fiber.

I would think anyway, that epoxy, NOT ca is the way to go to heal stress cracks or anything of the sort.

Edit *** I just read your entire post. Sorry I didn't the first time and the substance you're thinking of is indeed epoxy I believe and it's available everywhere.

If your phantom is out of warranty and you don't want to replace the Shell, you can use a product called Devcon Plastic Welder II. It has a chemical reaction with the plastic and will fuse it together depending on the material. I believe I read somewhere that the Phantom body was made of nylon. Likely nylon-66 which DPW II is fairly effective with.

Your other option is to actually do hot iron plastic welding. It is a technique that we use to repair polymer firearms. Go to a local hardware store and pick up an soldering stick/pen and very slowly heat the crack until the edges get soft. You can make gentle contact with the soldering stick to seal it up. To give an example of how strong it is, we cut a polymer machine gun in half and then fused it back together using this method. The gun is going on close to 10,000 rounds and still going strong.

You are absolutely right super glue does not play well with phantom plastic you must apply and let set until thoroughly dry without moving the parts, super glue eats in hard to the shell plastic it fine when dry. This is the only way that I can see to stop the flexing and twist between the shell halves when using nylon ties. there must be no shifting between halves the torsion box structure that the halves make when held together tightly relies on the solidity of the shape of the shell for the strength necessary to hold the motors

See a crack in frame, send it back for replacement and get on with life. It's a defect that should be covered.
Interesting. I sent mine in for a stress crack after more than 100 miles of flight. They paid for shipping. Fixed it in one day and I had it back in 7 calendar days. When I got it back it came with a new motor. So .... I guess ymmv when it comes to stress cracks.

I just sent mine back a week ago and it's coming back today, the shell was covered, nothing came out of my pocket, shipping was free as well.
I purchased it on April 29th got it May 7th
I have a P3p.. I received it in December.. Sent it in with no out of pocket expense in March. Sent in on a Monday had it back the following Monday. Incredible customer service during the process. I told them I thought the motor was going because I heard a faint rattle. My P3p was completely reshelled and... They replaced a motor... Not the motor I thought was bad by the way. Came back perfect. So my experience was outstanding.

Last edited:
I have a P3p.. I received it in December.. Sent it in with no out of pocket expense in March. Sent in on a Monday had it back the following Monday. Incredible customer service during the process. I told them I thought the motor was going because I heard a faint rattle. My P3p was completely respelled and... They replaced a motor... Not the motor I thought was bad by the way. Came back perfect. So my experience was outstanding.

Only problem is they sent back a different drone instead of mine. This one has a bad horizon and gimbal grinds when I move it around. Crazy! I was pretty piss when I found out the unit was switched. Seems to be DJI standard practice. At least that's what Tahoe Ed me on Rcgroup forum thread. Regardless, I called and spoke to them, now this ones going back...here we go...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing