Phantom 3 Standard Range Issue is a Common Problem

I have been flying my p3 4K for a couple of months. It's my first drone. The video is exceptional in my opinion. Been able to get 900m without windsurfer and up to 1400m with. Dislike the video loss at varying distances. My biggest question is if DJI has discontinues the drone, is fw 1.5.4 the last update? It sure would be nice to take advantage of any range and connection "fixes" of new fw.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have been flying my p3 4K for a couple of months. It's my first drone. The video is exceptional in my opinion. Been able to get 900m without windsurfer and up to 1400m with. Dislike the video loss at varying distances. My biggest question is if DJI has discontinues the drone, is fw 1.5.4 the last update? It sure would be nice to take advantage of any range and connection "fixes" of new fw.

That good to hear that your getting good range I will be happy with 500 or so meters range I'm new to drones.
I talked to one of my local rc shops about them and he said it is very common to only get 150m range on the standard some get better a lot don't. His recommendation was to get the advanced if range was needed.

Earlier this week I contacted DJI and they had me delink my RC to drone and also reset the video link. Just flew the p3 4K for the first time since...temp +5C, overcast and light drizzle, Into 22km wind. No windsurfer. RC completely stock. I flew adjacent to Canada's largest oil refinery and 3cell towers , over a city subdivision with lots of wifi. Today's flights were to check range and video loss. I flew 3 times and had 1180m, 1257m and 1283m. Altitude was 120m for all flights. Today I'm very happy with that. [emoji3] the interesting was I alternated the flights with windsurfers. The windsurfer flights Los at 350m and approx 400m. Yes I was aiming as accurately as I could. Today my p3 4K flew incredibly well. Tomorrow?

Hi all Iam awaiting delivery of my p3 4K and after reading people having issues with range after fw upgrade is it possible to not upgrade them?
Or has this been fixed with the last update?
Thanks in advance

Edit also what devices are you guys using that are having the issues?

Welcome to the forum!
This thread was started before the P3 4K.

I don't recall really recall the 4k having this issues. ;)

Rod

Welcome to the forum!
This thread was started before the P3 4K.

I don't recall really recall the 4k having this issues. ;)

Rod
Thank you for the welcome.
Ok that would be good if it doesn't I thought it was the same as the standard with different camera and controller?

My impression is the cheapest one, P3S**t, there are using parts that are seconds. Seconds meaning the parts did not pass the quality test by 100%.
I'm not saying you won't have a problem, I just don't recall those problems, nothing like mine.

I have more bookmarks since this post.;)
Terrible signal performance

Rod

My impression is the cheapest one, P3S**t, there are using parts that are seconds. Seconds meaning the parts did not pass the quality test by 100%.
I'm not saying you won't have a problem, I just don't recall those problems, nothing like mine.

I have more bookmarks since this post.;)

Rod
I highly doubt that. Refurnished ones are even replaced with new parts. It could be that who ever they source the parts out to are lesser quality but I highly doubt they would put junk bin parts in the standard.

I wouldn't call them junk, lesser quality yes. Like 90% of what Walmart buys. :)

Here is one way to view my thought. The manufacture does a a certain test on 10% (boards / parts)
Those 1 out of 10 are tested at different room / location for constancy. Those are packaged in 4k box, the rest in the box for the Standard.

In ways a refurbished one is probably less of risk for problems.

Rod

I wouldn't call them junk, lesser quality yes. Like 90% of what Walmart buys. :)

Here is one way to view my thought. The manufacture does a a certain test on 10% (boards / parts)
Those 1 out of 10 are tested at different room / location for constancy. Those are packaged in 4k box, the rest in the box for the Standard.

In ways a refurbished one is probably less of risk for problems.

Rod
If what you are saying is true then they aren't lesser quality just unknown quality. We really don't know for sure without talking to DJI themselves. Besides the range issues i've had its been a good bird, everything works on it just fine, they are moving away from wifi and going lightbridge so these parts they are getting are probably discounted.

Reactions: RodPad
If what you are saying is true then they aren't lesser quality just unknown quality. We really don't know for sure without talking to DJI themselves. Besides the range issues i've had its been a good bird, everything works on it just fine, they are moving away from wifi and going lightbridge so these parts they are getting are probably discounted.

Not saying, just one way of thinking as how some models could have more problems overall.

From my experience in retail over along time (to long) and as @dirkclod had posted,
"This Standard popped up overnite and I think they were put together in such away no 2 are alike. I am seeing folks that are first time owners with this model that are having distance issues that if they had had started with a P2 and seen all that has gone on with these things and read in here what other's have learned wouldn't be having them . The Standard was not made to have much distance as the Pro/Adv and I think lots
of folks don't get that
"

They made pro and advanced best units at this time.
DJI, We need something cheaper get the price point lower, make it harder for the growing competition, get are brand out there. Lets make a cheaper model, we will modify the P2V+, we got some parts leftover and make a P3S. :D

This is the only time I have ever agreed with Dirk :rolleyes::eek::)

Rod

Reactions: dirkclod
Not saying, just one way of thinking as how some models could have more problems overall.

From my experience in retail over along time (to long) and as @dirkclod had posted,
"This Standard popped up overnite and I think they were put together in such away no 2 are alike. I am seeing folks that are first time owners with this model that are having distance issues that if they had had started with a P2 and seen all that has gone on with these things and read in here what other's have learned wouldn't be having them . The Standard was not made to have much distance as the Pro/Adv and I think lots
of folks don't get that
"

They made pro and advanced best units at this time.
DJI, We need something cheaper get the price point lower, make it harder for the growing competition, get are brand out there. Lets make a cheaper model, we will modify the P2V+, we got some parts leftover and make a P3S. :D

This is the only time I have ever agreed with Dirk :rolleyes::eek::)

Rod
I'm fine with it being the cheaper model it does everything I want it to do. It's still a DJI product and its still better than a lot of knock off chinese quads.

Reactions: RodPad
I'm fine with it being the cheaper model it does everything I want it to do. It's still a DJI product and its still better than a lot of knock off chinese quads.
Yes, Its great when it works, flew it yesterday, haven't even looked at the video yet. RTH is just cool. :D

Rod

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
Hi, new to the forum, thanks for all the great info. just bought a P3S yesterday. flies ok, but yah, cant get higher than 300m before it "loses signal" and RTH. is 1.7.9 upgrade recommended now?

also, rookie question, but how can i find out what the current firmware it has on it right now?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving, Y'all!

Hi, new to the forum, thanks for all the great info. just bought a P3S yesterday. flies ok, but yah, cant get higher than 300m before it "loses signal" and RTH. is 1.7.9 upgrade recommended now?

also, rookie question, but how can i find out what the current firmware it has on it right now?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving, Y'all!
Welcome to the forum!
300m = 1000' doesn't sound bad, but you need to state as height and distance.

Here is a help page you will find a lot.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

The firmware is in the app, under about, everything needs to be connected, to view that and a lot more.

This is an old thread, did you read the whole thing? :eek:

My opinion on P3S firmware :rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: Joe H
Welcome to the forum!
300m = 1000' doesn't sound bad, but you need to state as height and distance.

Here is a help page you will find a lot.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

The firmware is in the app, under about, everything needs to be connected, to view that and a lot more.

This is an old thread, did you read the whole thing? :eek:

My opinion on P3S firmware :rolleyes:

Rod
Thanks!. I will check it all out, and btw i meant to say that i get a max 300ft altitude, not 300m.

Hum not good, first thought, can you take it back?
Try 200' up and 400-800' out.

You should get what the box says, by holding the remote correctly, and what I call clean air.

Cant take it back, got it used. but, i did find out i am running v.1.6.8 on the P3S, is the general consensus to upgrade past this version to 1.7.9? or should I not? thanks for any help.

Cant take it back, got it used. but, i did find out i am running v.1.6.8 on the P3S, is the general consensus to upgrade past this version to 1.7.9? or should I not? thanks for any help.
No comment :rolleyes:

Rod :)

Sorry, is kind of the same, You saw my thoughts.

Your last question "version to 1.7.9? or should I not?"

This firmware on a standard, I just don't know, I'm afraid to, I only have one bird, and my wife would be really mad if I had send it again, for the same failure.

I really believe in post #190

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4