Terrible signal performance

I couldn't believe how it cured it. I also blamed it on the FW. I went yesterday and bought a iPad mini 4. The iPad gives you much more info. It warns you when you have electro interference. It states don't fly long distance interference in the area. I was impressed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

One thing I can say for sure (in my case anyway) is that the app doesn't seem to have any effect. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" to fly with and use Litchi (GO App not installed on the Android tab, I have it on my iPhone for updates and other features not on litchi). I still get the same results with Litchi as I do with GO, so feel it can't be the app.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If litchi is anything like auto pilot, these 3rd party apps run on top of DJI's own app. DJI allows the 3rd party devs to alter/use their flight controller code in their apps in order to develop features not offered by DJI in their own app. DJI is in the drone business not the app business that's why they allow access to their code (obviously for a price). So if these apps are using DJI's code to build off of (and keeping it current with DJI's) then there would be a logical reason that the 3rd party apps also give poor performance.

It's you dji go app that's the problem 2.8.3 is the problem,, the firmware 1.6.80 is good,,,,, do you use android or iOS ?? I have both my iOS is on the newest 2.8.3 wich gives me terrible signal problems like your self,, if I use android and also use the newest go app 2.8.3 it's still terrible,, if I roll the phantom firmware back from 1.6.8 to 1.5.7 it's still terrible but if I roll the dji go app Bk to 2.8.0 it's fantastic I can do 1300 meters very easily phantom standard on 1.6.80 firmware and 2.8.0 go app

58334d07e39dd83abae8e393135f854a.jpg

I have the same issue with android version ever since it went to 2.8.x I have had bad video signal. I can't find the older dji go app anywhere so I keep hoping they get the app fixed. The latest version of the app has helped but still have some intermittent video pixilation.

To roll back DJI go app, connect mobile device to RC, turn on RC, launch DJI GO app, press and hold graduate cap in upper right corner for 5 sec, downgrade window opens up

I don't think you've read this entire thread. Please go back to page 1.

I couldn't believe how it cured it. I also blamed it on the FW. I went yesterday and bought a iPad mini 4. The iPad gives you much more info. It warns you when you have electro interference. It states don't fly long distance interference in the area. I was impressed.
Yes, I like the apple interface better, DJI tech told me to try a IOS unit and they were working with apple as the main platform. He said you would start seeing Phantoms for sale at the apple store. (Yes this would have been in August)
So I tried my neighbors, iPad which didn't fix the problem, sent it in for repair.

Haven't found anything on FB. Most groups are closed and I sent requests. I tried APP version 2.8.1 tonight in my back yard and surprising got a LITTLE better performance out of it than I did before in this location (Tonight i went about 300m before RTH in a congested area, trees, houses etc) still noticed the signal "dropping" at its max distance rather than a gradual fade however . I'm going to down grade the FW version on the quad to 1.5.7 and try running that in combination of app 2.8.1 and see what happens. I really wish I kept logs of what combinations of firmwares and apps I had running before when I got great distance from this thing.
Thanks for checking FB, I guess I still don't need an account :eek:
FB on this thread seems to be HS (Hear Say) no links, no proof, just talk. ;)

Tried FW 1.5.7 on GoV 2.7.2 with mixed results. 200 meters one direction (back yard test) before RTH... tried a different direction, was about to drop at 200 but regained full signal again got out to 350 before RTH. Next combination will be FW 1.5.7 on GoV 2.7.1 (fingers crossed as this is the GoV that 1.5.7 was originally released on)

Summery of combinations thus far:

FW App V Result
--------------------------------------
1.6.8 2.8.3 100 m
1.5.7 2.8.3 100 m
1.6.8 2.8.0 100 m with video lag
1.5.7 2.8.0 same
1.6.8 2.8.1 300 m with video lag
1.5.7 2.8.1 275 m with video lag
1.5.7 2.7.2 200 m with video lag
2nd try 200 m dropped but regained full signal and got to 350 m
1.5.7 2.7.1 TBD

For comparison when I first got my P3S, I was getting 750 m from this location in both directions... just have no idea what versions of FW and Go I was using...

Narrowed down some dates (thank you Facebook posts) and what versions of things I SHOULD have been on if everything was current during the flights:

April 15th Packaged delivered, updated firmware out of the box and downloaded DJI Go for the first time - FW 1.5.7 GoV 2.72

April 18th tested how far I could fly. Got 750 m in 2 different directions from by back yard. Should have been on FW 1.5.7 GoV 2.7.2 then.

May 2nd flew simple waypoint mission from back yard with no noticeable issues. Should have been on FW 1.5.7 and GoV 2.8.0 then.

May 16th had a flight at Cape Cod with an altitude of 300m (got a great picture btw) noticed no signal issues in distance or altitude. Should have been on FW 1.6.8 and GoV 2.8.1 then.
Note: During this flight I had my first real panic, ran out of battery while it was RTH and fighting some good wind. Started an auto land. Long story short I booked it in the general
direction, noticed it landing right in the middle of the road (thank god) at the last moment i tried to maneuver it to the side of the road and ended up flipping it over upon landing. I wasn't sure if anything was damaged, so I tested it briefly when I returned home and everything SEEMED ok at that point.

May 21st flew a waypoint mission at good distances without noticing any issues. Should have been on FW 1.6.8 and GoV 2.8.1 then.

May 30th was showing my friend in my back yard and noticed the weak transmission signal issue for the first time. should have been on FW 1.6.8 and GoV 2.8.2

Crap signal ever since...

EDIT: My first flights (including the 750 m flight) were actually on app version 2.7.1 as i forgot I had actually downloaded the app prior to receiving the package to just start messing around with it, and it most likely didn't auto update right away.... will try things now on 2.7.1 as soon as the wind dies down.

Last edited:
Wow, Keep it going..
When is your vacation trip?
If your in the Pacific North Winds, you can use mine,
I got today off, been under the house twice, taking a break.

Ok, this was the best flight so far (since issues started, still not like it was in its prime however) was getting between 375 and 450m with FW 1.5.7 on App V 2.7.1 (the version before the redesigned camera mode). got it there in baby steps though, letting it settle every time the signal started to drop. but still this combination has given me the best so far, with 2nd place being 1.6.8 on 2.8.1.... will also make another note that i thought was strange, upon returning home the rc had a hard time regaining the signal after it drops. meaning the AC will get out to its max distance and RTH and all the way "home" and even half way through the auto land the rc shows zero to 1 bars worth of signal.

Wow, Keep it going..
When is your vacation trip?
If your in the Pacific North Winds, you can use mine,
I got today off, been under the house twice, taking a break.
my family and I will be headed to cape cod july 9th for 2 weeks. :D

Ok, this was the best flight so far (since issues started, still not like it was in its prime however) was getting between 375 and 450m with FW 1.5.7 on App V 2.7.1 (the version before the redesigned camera mode). got it there in baby steps though, letting it settle every time the signal started to drop. but still this combination has given me the best so far, with 2nd place being 1.6.8 on 2.8.1.... will also make another note that i thought was strange, upon returning home the rc had a hard time regaining the signal after it drops. meaning the AC will get out to its max distance and RTH and all the way "home" and even half way through the auto land the rc shows zero to 1 bars worth of signal.
Meaning the RC Signal?
Your Video and Telemetry was still there?

This is good news, both times mine was screwed up it, it was only good for selfies, I also had a single finger bird in the air.

If you haven't tried a Windsurfer, this was my results when my unit was working correctly.
Windsurfers....any good?

Here is the link I used
DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

I used a white flat cardboard out of 24 box of Pepsi and the chrome foil tape we use for dryer ducting. Need to make a new one, I hardly use it, just kind of for testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DryFlyRy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen