Phantom 3 Standard Range Issue is a Common Problem

I bought P3S. Experienced this terrible issues with the range. Sold it right away. Added money. Bought P3A. Now i can get 4KM range instead of 400 meters tops.

My advice is, unless you dont care about range, don't buy P3S. It's terrible.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

What would you consider a normal range for a phantom 3 standard in the UK in a field out in the country?
I'm getting about 300-400m. Is this normal?
Chris P

Try printing out a cardboard windsurfer - or even something as low tech as a cd disc behind the antennae and see if it helps.

I did rebound the RC and Phanton 3 4K and updated DJI GO to the latest version. Sometimes I still get 800m but video cuts out at 500. Other times I lose video at 10 m

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: gaz1969uk
I don't know if that is modded or not.
But the fact is out of 10 people I've talked to about p3s, you are the first one that is hapy with it. Everyone is thinking to change or mod it.

Yesterday i was going over my old videos from the days i had p3s+windsurfer. Oh my god. How much limited i was. With p3a i get at least 7x more distance.

Is it all about distance then or what? Alot of the time I like flying it close to the ground, achieving atmospheric videos from a perspective I've never had chance to do before, I still have yet to take mine far away, well as far away as the Uk allow.
I must admit I'm dying to see how far it will go though, suppose as a test more than anything.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

As i mentioned in the first post, if a range is priority for you, then p3s is definitely not what you are looking for. Based on my experience

I don't know if that is modded or not.
But the fact is out of 10 people I've talked to about p3s, you are the first one that is hapy with it. Everyone is thinking to change or mod it.

Yesterday i was going over my old videos from the days i had p3s+windsurfer. Oh my god. How much limited i was. With p3a i get at least 7x more distance.

Bone stock. :eek:o_O:confused::);):cool::D

Is it all about distance then or what? Alot of the time I like flying it close to the ground, achieving atmospheric videos from a perspective I've never had chance to do before, I still have yet to take mine far away, well as far away as the Uk allow.
I must admit I'm dying to see how far it will go though, suppose as a test more than anything.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app
No, it isn't all about distance. Realistically, you shouldn't fly these when you can't see them. To have a 'thrill' to see how far it can go, is normal. You SHOULD know what your equipment is and isn't capable of. But beyond that, no need for the distance. And for most, if the P3S is bought, it is bought to get acquainted with drones. However, more 'hardcore' (and I use that word VERY loosely) as I am and it does everything I wanted and more. The P3S is a great bird. Yes, it will go REALLY high, and it will go REALLY far. But, beyond 4-500 feet away is more than ample for the vast majority of needs. These aren't racers, they aren't designed to be distance machines.

As i mentioned in the first post, if a range is priority for you, then p3s is definitely not what you are looking for. Based on my experience

If you are in the U.S you aren't allowed by law to fly it past line of sight, if you are flying it past half a mile then you are breaking the law because there is no way you can see a small white object from half a mile out.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I am not in US.
My P3A flies 4.5km which is 7 times more than what i got from my P3S.
I never fly in populated areas. I choose open fields which are >7km length and do my long distance flights out there.

I am not in US.
My P3A flies 4.5km which is 7 times more than what i got from my P3S.
I never fly in populated areas. I choose open fields which are >7km length and do my long distance flights out there.

Well here in the U.S we aren't allowed to fly past line of sight so there really is no range issues UNLESS you want to break the law.

Reactions: N017RW
I see. But here in range topic on this forum i see people from US flying out more then 4km. I doubt their eye vision is so good :)))

And they are breaking the law. I'm not here to answer for them to why they do it but as the law stands right now we can't fly past the line of sight and the P3S flies within line of sight. So why complain about a range issue?

Cars go WAY faster than the speed limit but that doesn't mean you are allowed to speed..

Reactions: t2adze
And they are breaking the law. I'm not here to answer for them to why they do it but as the law stands right now we can't fly past the line of sight and the P3S flies within line of sight. So why complain about a range issue?

Cars go WAY faster than the speed limit but that doesn't mean you are allowed to speed..
I agree and understand. But then people shouldn't buy p3a or p3p in US?

Last edited:
To summarize this chatter. :rolleyes:

If the P3S works like it says on the box, people are happy. ;)

I have had the RC range issue twice, RTH activates, makes it useless, unless your hanging it from a fishing pole. Both times it happened after firmware update, and had send it in for repair.:mad:

Rod

Hi all Iam awaiting delivery of my p3 4K and after reading people having issues with range after fw upgrade is it possible to not upgrade them?
Or has this been fixed with the last update?
Thanks in advance

Edit also what devices are you guys using that are having the issues?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20