Phantom 3 Checklists

.Software can fail and perhaps some would rather err on the side of caution rather than trust a mod number that might read incorrectly for unknown reasons after 3-4 flights.
How do we know the software is showing the correct mod number after calibrating in the same spot two days in a row? Should we just trust the mod number on the second day since it's a fresh calibration?

Speaking as the 3rd declared GA pilot in this discussion, redundancy, safety and attention to detail is something that is baked into us during training. With that mindset, redundant compass calibration seems safe. So I guess the question is, does repeated calibration lead to an unsafe condition?
How do we know the software is showing the correct mod number after calibrating in the same spot two days in a row? Should we just trust the mod number on the second day since it's a fresh calibration?
Anytime you take your Phantom into your car are you not introducing metal to the magnetic makeup of the compass regardless of powered on or not? Or do you walk to the exact same location everyday? My point is do what you will, I may be no more right or wrong than you are. If that part of the checklist does not suit you and your preferences don't do it. We don't need to keep nuking this out like a bunch of goofs when there is no clear answer in regard to the manual other than its says clearly to do it EVERYTIME you move to a new location. New location and having had it in my metal car I am doing it every time period!

Reactions: pomonabill220

Whew!!!...I'm done, you win. o_O I think Brandon's right, there's no clear answer to this.

Whew!!!...I'm done, you win.
I win? This is no game. I'm just trying to learn why people are calibrating every time. It seems we've learned some people don't trust the software and others are trying to apply manned aircraft best practices. It's interesting to discuss such things in order to gain a better understanding of what different pilots are doing -- and, why they do it.

Reactions: NRJ
I win? This is no game. I'm just trying to learn why people are calibrating every time.

...easy pal, it's just an expression, no offense intended.;) Just seem to be getting questions answered with other questions for now and it's almost time to skip off to work.

I also do enjoy the conversation though, so please talk amongst yourselves and don't forget to turn the light out when you leave.

Hah, no worries. I was not offended at all. I just meant I'm simply trying to understand why you guys are calibrating religiously (rather than trying to win some battle). I genuinely want to learn as I might be missing something extremely important.

Anytime you take your Phantom into your car are you not introducing metal to the magnetic makeup of the compass regardless of powered on or not? ...

You are in no way changing the magnetic signature of the P3 by storing it in your automobile. Not if you stored it in there 100 years. You may, however, jack up a perfectly good compass calibration by calibrating too close to your metal car.

This is not an impenetrable mystery. An understanding of what a compass calibration does should make it clear when a new calibration is and is not necessary. No superstition required.

Hah, no worries. I was not offended at all. I just meant I'm simply trying to understand why you guys are calibrating religiously (rather than trying to win some battle). I genuinely want to learn as I might be missing something extremely important.

...me too.

BTW, personally for the record, I'm ok with using the MOD as a baseline for a 'go, no go' indicator on compass calibration. So long as the I've got a gauge telling me everything is where it should be.

...me too.

BTW, personally for the record, I'm ok with using the MOD as a baseline for a 'go, no go' indicator on compass calibration. So long as the I've got a gauge telling me everything is where it should be.
I suppose for me it also comes down to this. If your bird does have a fly away and you go into butthole pucker factor defcon 5 and the logs show it due to compass error and dji goes through the logs to determine repair or replacement or nothing at all. Where are they going stand on those logs if it shows you were a block or even 300 feet from last flight location and didn't recalibrate? Thats a new location and with there very open explanation of it i would suspect you would be SOL.

Waiting for an updated version of the checklist??....I still thinks this is a good design.

Hi guys I created this small checklist its laminated and will have a metal grommet and dog tag chain to connect to the handle on the back of your controller if anyone is interested in on pm me [file]check1|none[/file][file]check2|none[/file]
I have a stop on my camera to stabilize the gimbal. First thing I have to do is remove it - even before powering up (don't want the gimbal trying to zero while locked!!). Since some type of gimbal lock is pretty common while transporting our birds, most of us would need that on our checklist.

For pre-flight checklist, how about making sure your SD card is installed. That's got me before. Only thing worse is when you're getting that great shot and realize you forgot to hit record. 23 minutes goes fast.

While waiting for my P3P I searched several sources, in particular this forum, for checklists and created one for myself with liberal cutting and pasting. It is printed double-sided and laminated.

In actual use, I am finding it too long and tend to now glance over too much and forgetting some basic steps, such as removing the clear plastic gimbal clamp!

This tread has motivated me to update it to be shorter and more concise - and smaller so I can stow it in a pocket to keep it from blowing away.

Attachments

• Phantom 3 Pro Checklist Card.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: PrecisionAeroworks
Again, good point. I also normally just overlook those types of errors and would have in this case as well if not for the OP specifically asking, "What's spelled wrong?"

The truth is that I am notorious for making errors. I often leave out entire words and have to go back to edit my posts. I know that I do it and watch for it as I type, but I still do it much too often. It really annoys me when I do it, but people generally don't mention it to me since they normally get what I mean anyway. I try to extend the same courtesy.

And what really annoys me is when a poster is using an app. that auto corrects, and the corrections are WRONG and the poster doesn't even check their post and correct it! WOW I have seen some REAL weird posts, and they are hard to figure out sometimes.

Hi guys I created this small checklist its laminated and will have a metal grommet and dog tag chain to connect to the handle on the back of your controller if anyone is interested in on pm me [file]check1|none[/file][file]check2|none[/file]
Any updates on this? I would be interesting in getting one of these

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl