Phantom 3 Checklists

I'll do what i need to and feel is the best practice
Perfect. That's almost exactly what I said that everyone should do. It seems sir that we agree on that point.

Reactions: JoBe
I think it's great that people do what they want and/or stray from the suggestions in the Phantom manual if there is good cause to do so. And, I think it's even better when people justify their reasons for doing so. That allows everyone to learn new things. However, I find it very hard to follow advice that is based on non-Phantom related checklists and/or reasoning like I just like to do it that way. Perhaps I'm just too darned logical though ;)

Reactions: JoBe
I think it's great that people do what they want and/or stray from the suggestions in the Phantom manual if there is good cause to do so. And, I think it's even better when people justify their reasons for doing so. That allows everyone to learn new things. However, I find it very hard to follow advice that is based on non-Phantom related checklists and/or reasoning like I just like to do it that way. Perhaps I'm just too darned logical though ;)
Well if we are going by the manual it says always calibrate in EVERY new flight location that could be construed as 5 feet or 5 miles I suppose but every location I didn't take off from exactly before is new so yes I am following the manual and not a whim :) If this isnt you great but If I flew the exact same spot everytime Id be bored to death my second flight lmao

Well if we are going by the manual it says always calibrate in EVERY new flight location that could be construed as 5 feet or 5 miles
Ah, compass calibration... it's such a controversially topic.

You're absolutely right. It could be construed as 5 feet or even 100 miles. Regardless, if you're going to publicly promote a checklist of best practices, it would be in everyone's best interest to promote practices based on known facts rather than extreme translations of the Phantom manual. And, by that, I mean there are no known tests that show there is any benefit to calibrating the compass before EVERY flight.

Anyhow... I'm just thinking out loud here. Feel free to build your checklist to your liking :)

Ah, compass calibration... it's such a controversially topic.

You're absolutely right. It could be construed as 5 feet or even 100 miles. Regardless, if you're going to publicly promote a checklist of best practices, it would be in everyone's best interest to promote practices based on known facts rather than extreme translations of the Phantom manual. And, by that, I mean there are no known tests that show there is any benefit to calibrating the compass before EVERY flight.

Anyhow... I'm just thinking out loud here. Feel free to build your checklist to your liking :)
Well we could Masterdebate this all day long I suppose but your saying extreme translation is your own interpretation and may not be correct. I suppose because you have a vested interest in selling products one of which may be a checklist I don't know, didn't look . I base off my knowledge of flight and safe practices of manned and unmanned aviation and that is to be on the side of caution :)

My .02, I like Branden's thinking. I calibrate mine often also. Don't see the wrong in being redundant when it comes to safety. Don't know if I recall of any crashes, being drone or actual aircraft, where too much planning was the fault. other than that, i like the idea and Branden, use spell checker. and remember, not all criticism is bad. I am a private pilot as well.

I suppose because you have a vested interest in selling products one of which may be a checklist I don't know
No, sir. I am here because I enjoy Phantoms and genuinely want to help people learn the best practices so they are able to fly safely. Phantoms are very complex machines and very different from manned aircraft.

Does any one have a checklist for P3P that they would be willing to share or point me to the discussion board where I could pull one. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My .02, I like Branden's thinking. I calibrate mine often also. Don't see the wrong in being redundant when it comes to safety. Don't know if I recall of any crashes, being drone or actual aircraft, where too much planning was the fault...I am a private pilot as well.

Speaking as the 3rd declared GA pilot in this discussion, redundancy, safety and attention to detail is something that is baked into us during training. With that mindset, redundant compass calibration seems safe. So I guess the question is, does repeated calibration lead to an unsafe condition?

Reactions: Branden
No, sir. I am here because I enjoy Phantoms and genuinely want to help people learn the best practices so they are able to fly safely. Phantoms are very complex machines and very different from manned aircraft.
Who is to say though your opinions are any better practice than mine though cause the manual certainly doesn't say not too as well!

So what is the best "real world" practice for compass calibration, every flight or when flying from someplace distant from your last flight location? Currently, I'm doing it at every flight no matter where, but I am getting tired of doing this little dance. The last time, I just flew it and it performed fine. Some people state to look at the sensors for a reading to see if you need calibration, what is the normal reading? Branden, perhaps the "normal" values should be added to your checklist.

So I guess the question is, does repeated calibration lead to an unsafe condition?
The issue isn't repetitive calibration. The problem is that you could replace a perfectly good calibration with a calibration done in an area that has some time of interference.

Who is to say though your opinions are any better practice than mine
I'm only suggesting that you're promoting a less popular opinion among Phantom pilots. It's not my opinion, but I agree with not calibrating every time. Not only is it a waste of time, it could result in a bad calibration and lead to erratic flight behavior.

the manual certainly doesn't say not too as well!
As you spend more time with the Phantom manual, you will likely learn that it contains a lot of vague information and even some incorrect information. And, as you spend more time flying your Phantom and talking with other Phantom pilots, you will gain a better understanding of Phantom best practices.

Speaking as the 3rd declared GA pilot in this discussion, redundancy, safety and attention to detail is something that is baked into us during training. With that mindset, redundant compass calibration seems safe. So I guess the question is, does repeated calibration lead to an unsafe condition?

IMO, potentially yes. And that is the core of the argument for calibrating the compass only when necessary. Why and when one should calibrate has been discussed to death on these forums. Having an attention to detail would suggest that one understand what a compass calibration actually does on a Phantom 3. It is a software calibration that records the Phantoms magnetic signature, and does not drift (like a gyroscopic compass). It does this so that the phantom can interpret magnetic north regardless of orientation (hence the "compass dance").

Whether or not a location change requires an update is based on a map like this. Personally, if the declination change is less than a degree in the new location, I do not calibrate. I doubt the calibration is any more accurate than that. The change in declination w/r to distance depends on the direction of travel and the particular part of the planet you are on. It's a different situation in Wisconsin than it is in California, for example.

Let me ask this question: If you had a known good compass calibration, and you were limited to a takeoff area with potential magnetic issues (a dock with steel reinforcement or a rebar reinforced slab, how would you proceed? (Answering "not fly" is cheating). :)

The issue isn't repetitive calibration. The problem is that you could replace a perfectly good calibration with a calibration done in an area that has some time of interference.
"...some time of interference". I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In other words, If I calibrate 5-times on 5-different days in the in the same spot, what would, theoretically, cause the 4th calibration to be poor if conditions haven't changed? Conversely, you would need to calibrate if you moved to a location that is beyond the stated envelope.

He means some TYPE of interference (rebar under concrete, pipeline, etc...). We'll leave the irony of the sidetrack on typos in this thread alone. :)

In your example, the 4th calibration in the same spot should be essentially the same as the previous three - outside of a DJI software glitch, and, gee, what are the chances of that...

In other words, If I calibrate 5-times on 5-different days in the in the same spot, what would, theoretically, cause the 4th calibration to be poor if conditions haven't changed?
Most likely nothing.

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting though. If you calibrated in the same spot a day earlier, what are you hoping to gain by calibrating again? Don't you already have a good calibration if the mod number still looks good?

Most likely nothing.

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting though. If you calibrated in the same spot a day earlier, what are you hoping to gain by calibrating again? Don't you already have a good calibration if the mod number still looks good?

...not suggesting I would. Just raising the hypothetical. Software can fail and perhaps some would rather err on the side of caution rather than trust a mod number that might read incorrectly for unknown reasons after 3-4 flights.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj