Phantom 3 Checklists

Compass calibrated every flight only risks you introducing a bad calibration imo. I have had over 50 flights and only calibrated twice
Wow..... DJI will deny any crash damage warranty claim if they see you never calibrate the compass in the flight logs. It's the IMU that doesn't need constant recalibration but even it should be recalibrated if you travel very far from where it was originally calibrated. Imo the compass should be recalibrated every new day of flying, regardless if it takes off in the same spot.

I have no idea who told you not to recalibrate often but it's contradictory to what the manufactures and seasoned pilots say to do so please reconsider your reckless action as quads can easily kill a child as the blades can easily penetrate 2" in the skin where an artery could be. You WILL have a flyaway and DJI will claim pilot error as they should.

I have no idea who told you not to recalibrate often but it's contradictory to what the manufactures and seasoned pilots say to do
I follow this guide. Those who are dead set on calibrating before every flight aren't even sure why they do it.

In the first sentence/paragraph, He requested you PM him for info and a copy...

RedHotPoker

Thanks. It looked like there was supposed to be a link at the bottom of the post... [emoji851]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I kind of figured that right off. And actually purposefully ignored the minor errors. Many folks here have a first and second language, while some frequent fliers have numerous languages to communicate with...
But English grammar, spelling and punctuation can get you more respect, from the intelligent masses. Most folks who can afford these RC hobbies are fairly well educated. You don't see many homeless people packing drones around the soup kitchens and homeless shelters of major cities. ;-)
& for those still learning English, please read more to improve your vocabulary. Ha

RedHotPoker
I have worked with homeless people for many years and I take offence at your comments that " You don't see many homeless people packing drones around the soup kitchens and homeless shelters of major cities." you seem to be implying that homeless people are not well educated! What a gross and misinformed statement. There are many homeless who are very well educated and are very intelligent, but through circumstances, bad choices or mental problems they find themselves in various predicaments. If you are referring to their financial status and they can't afford drones..wow. Some things like basic food, health and shelter are more important than flying a piece of plastic around for fun. Then there was your comment about "those still learning English", who should "read more to improve your vocabulary". Thank you for your wonderful advice to all those who are inferior to you.

I have worked with homeless people for many years and I take offence at your comments that " You don't see many homeless people packing drones around the soup kitchens and homeless shelters of major cities." you seem to be implying that homeless people are not well educated! What a gross and misinformed statement. There are many homeless who are very well educated and are very intelligent, but through circumstances, bad choices or mental problems they find themselves in various predicaments. If you are referring to their financial status and they can't afford drones..wow. Some things like basic food, health and shelter are more important than flying a piece of plastic around for fun. Then there was your comment about "those still learning English", who should "read more to improve your vocabulary". Thank you for your wonderful advice to all those who are inferior to you.
Yeah, when I was much younger, I still had faith and a healthy heart. I have worked around them street folks plenty. Done hundreds of hours in volunteer situations and raised several $M for various charitable organizations including, our very own Red Cross, Shriners, and even the Firefighters Burn Treatment Centre. Not to mention our ACT Rec Centre. What you are telling me is nothing new. But many of them have only one vested interest, getting drunk/high and going to jail.
You go ahead and hang your heart out on your sleeve, I for one am not Impressed or saddened by their situation... Been there done that, moved on. That's why I live on the other Southside of the river, from our capital inner city turmoil. I don't need it, or wish to see it. But I commend you for sticking up, for those who can't or them whom refuse to Take part in civil society. Bravo!!
Folks who would rather collect tin and aluminum cans, opposed to requesting aid, and getting even a menial job. Freedom...
With the current economy, any one could eventually be there.

By the way, speaking of those folks, being inferior as far as formal education, I dropped out in elementary school. Surely they are all smarter than me. Hahaha
But I can atleast communicate my feelings well enough, that even you, can understand my real true meaning, even by reading between the bold lines. Right? Gentleman and scholar you.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Yes I will tomorrow night

It's a good design...looking forward to it.

BTW, don't take any of the feedback personally. As a professional, I do a lot of writing. By design, I can't let anything go public until I've let an editor look it over. Sometimes you get too close to it and miss a lot of obvious stuff. Every piece of writing needs a 'second eye'...you did the right thing. Consider us, your editors.

For everyone who uses the language (especially on a forum where all you have IS the written word) ...IMHO, spelling and grammar should be a matter of personal pride. It's a reflection of you.

One other thing...one reason I like this is becaues it reminds me of the laminated checklist cards you'll find in a Cessna, or any other GA aircraft.

Reactions: Branden
Wow..... DJI will deny any crash damage warranty claim if they see you never calibrate the compass in the flight logs. It's the IMU that doesn't need constant recalibration but even it should be recalibrated if you travel very far from where it was originally calibrated. Imo the compass should be recalibrated every new day of flying, regardless if it takes off in the same spot.

I have no idea who told you not to recalibrate often but it's contradictory to what the manufactures and seasoned pilots say to do so please reconsider your reckless action as quads can easily kill a child as the blades can easily penetrate 2" in the skin where an artery could be. You WILL have a flyaway and DJI will claim pilot error as they should.

When you consistently recalibrate your compass you are increasing the risk of a bad calibration which you won't know until it's too late. Ever heard of the phrase if it isn't broken don't fix it? I check my compass readings every time before flight. As regards to it hitting are the manufactures seasoned pilots? They make products and test them people on this forum are seasoned pilots... I leave it open to the floor.. How many people calibrate every flight

When you consistently recalibrate your compass you are increasing the risk of a bad calibration which you won't know until it's too late. Ever heard of the phrase if it isn't broken don't fix it? I check my compass readings every time before flight. As regards to it hitting are the manufactures seasoned pilots? They make products and test them people on this forum are seasoned pilots... I leave it open to the floor.. How many people calibrate every flight
As a pilot that flies manned aircraft myself would you want to jump in the seat with me if my mentality was if it aint broke dont fix it? we calibrate instruments in manned aircraft every flight ill continue to do so with my unmanned aircraft as well. You should never have a problem calibrating if you are 1. doing it correctly 2. away from metal

we calibrate instruments in manned aircraft every flight ill continue to do so with my unmanned aircraft as well.
Why aren't you also calibrating the IMU, gimbal, and RC before every flight? (I'm just curious.)

Why aren't you also calibrating the IMU, gimbal, and RC before every flight? (I'm just curious.)
I calibrate the IMU and gimball once a week! Just as you don't calibrate EVERY single instrument in a manned aircraft before every flight but due to compass drift you do calibrate the gyroscopic compass EVERY flight in manned aircraft, the magnetic no but gyro compass yes. If people choose not that's there choice but in over 200 hours of quadcopter time I have not lost one

I calibrate the IMU and gimball once a week!
I guess this is another habit taken from your manned aircraft experience? Or, do you have direct Phantom experience that shows it's vital to do these calibrations weekly?

If people choose not that's there choice but in over 200 hours of quadcopter time I have not lost one
I rarely calibrate the compass and haven't lost one yet either.

I leave it open to the floor.. How many people calibrate every flight

I align with the forum moderators and also what seems like most of the pilots who regularly post on the forum. I don't calibrate my compass every flight. That's why I asked the OP earlier if he was suggesting to calibrate the compass every flight or to simply check the sensor readings every flight. I do check the sensor readings every flight when I check my other settings before flying.

The downside of frequent compass calibrations has been discussed such an enormous amount of times here on the forum. In my very humble opinion, there is no safety or flight related reason for calibrating every time unless of course you have moved a considerable distance from your prior known good calibration.

There are always people who have a different opinion which is why I only said most of the regular posters here don't calibrate every flight. Everyone has to do what makes them feel safe and comfortable when flying. For me, that means not calibrating my compass every flight.

I align with the forum moderators and also what seems like most of the pilots who regularly post on the forum. I don't calibrate my compass every flight. That's why I asked the OP earlier if he was suggesting to calibrate the compass every flight or to simply check the sensor readings every flight. I do check the sensor readings every flight when I check my other settings before flying.

The downside of frequent compass calibrations has been discussed such an enormous amount of times here on the forum. In my very humble opinion, there is no safety or flight related reason for calibrating every time unless of course you have moved a considerable distance from your prior known good calibration.

There are always people who have a different opinion which is why I only said most of the regular posters here don't calibrate every flight. Everyone has to do what makes them feel safe and comfortable when flying. For me, that means not calibrating my compass every flight.
Well every flight I do is over 5 miles from my home location and a different place every time. Outside of that everyone can do what they want i really don't care. I'll do what i need to and feel is the best practice

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic