P4P Plus can't see map / I believe issue has been resolved on its own

The use of Here is inherent in DJI Go 4 and can't be changed as far as I know, so that is what we are stuck with for both the P4P and P4P+.

Actually, I have a P3P and we are having the same problems when DJI converted from Google maps to Here maps. A total blur with a really fast internet connection. On the DJI GO app, I was able to go back to a version earlier that had google maps. All is good now. However, with your P4, it may not be advisable to go back to a different app version, best to check with some of the other P4 owners about that. It is definitely the Here maps though. Pretty much across the internet, I am hearing bad stories about the here maps.

I hate to say it. I have the same problem with crappy satellite resolution recently and have gone back and forth with DJI support. Their response is...

"About this issue, if you are using an android mobile device try to download a lower version of DJI Go App. You just need to search in google the "DJI Go App APK" and you will see the lower version of the app that you can download".

Very disappointing. Using Litchi exclusively now.

Thanks Tony, Im also going to use Litchi app now as well. Very disappointing at their response indeed. I have been looking
at using the Litchi app for a while now so I will spring for the 25 bucks and carry on. Thx again....

Do you have an active internet connection? I've noticed that detailed satellite imagery doesn't seem to be cached (probably due to large files size of the many necessary tiles) as does the street map info. I believe this is a characteristic of the DJI GO app, not the P4P+ specifically. So without an active Internet connection when you drill the satellite imagery down to its highest detail you will need an Internet connection to load it. When in the field if you tether the P4P+ to your cellphone in hotspot mode then it works fine (or at least mine does.)
Does this mean the newest version of DJI ago WILL NOT not cache maps- or just that the poster hasn't turned on map caching in the Go prefs?
I'm still using an older version of ago with my P3- forget which just now) and still on iOS 8xx on my iPad Mini. I've deliberately not updated to latest FW , iOS or Go for just this reason.
I can preload maps for where I intend to fly- in case I've no cell service. Otherwise I do use my Personal Hot Spot on iPhone. This is great- until I'm an area without cell service....

My understanding is that the new DJI Go 4 does not use Google maps. If you have a P4P you must upgrade to DJI Go 4. If you don't, you don't have to upgrade to Go4. There is sort of a work around if you upgrade. You can go into the apps permissions and turn off Storage. DJI Go will revert back to google maps and you can cache maps from google maps. Here's the rub..the maps will be cached as long as you don't power off your device. And the big issue with this workaround is when you turn off storage, you also turn off the ability to store flight logs. If you have an issue where you need to upload your flight log to say DJI, they won't be there.

My understanding is that the new DJI Go 4 does not use Google maps. If you have a P4P you must upgrade to DJI Go 4. If you don't, you don't have to upgrade to Go4. There is sort of a work around if you upgrade. You can go into the apps permissions and turn off Storage. DJI Go will revert back to google maps and you can cache maps from google maps. Here's the rub..the maps will be cached as long as you don't power off your device. And the big issue with this workaround is when you turn off storage, you also turn off the ability to store flight logs. If you have an issue where you need to upload your flight log to say DJI, they won't be there.
Doesn't seem like a good workaround then....

Perhaps we need to get a petition going- or just a campaign to FLOOD DJI with demands to return to Google Maps.
I haven't seen how the HERE maps work yet- but I've heard nothing good about them at all. And it seems like it's making it much harder to pinpoint actual drone location when we need to.

....the P4P + is the unit I'me planning on buying in the spring. If this + map load issue isn't resolved by end of February, I will not be making the purchase.

As a GIS map software user (for more than 30 years), I am aware of the various WMS/WMTS, WCS, and WFS map tiles (both vector, and raster products) from myriad servers operated by private, public and Governmental agencies out there (I use more than 60 WMS server products, served up by 42 agencies world-wide), and I can't see any insurmountable issue patching the very specific Android OS that the DJI P4P + controller uses to use something like the Open Street Map (OSM) OpenLayers products, until a more permanent "map supplier" map tile server is negotiated. This wouldn't be the ideal solution, but at least OSM map tiles could be loaded in the P4P + controller to visualize where the heck one is flying. The fall-back would be to rely solely on the P4P's video feed to navigate (but this would be a severely stripped down + controller utilization)...

I'm following this VERY closely...

We definitely need people like you here, educating us - and DJI - on better solutions. I'd urge you to write up some sort of white paper or petition that could be spread throughout the drone community to FLOOD DJI with.
Not just complaining, but offering a viable solution that will help us all.
Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

JE Photo:

...web map tile servers are sometime notorious for not serving up mapping product tiles due to different circumstances (overloaded server requests; map scale issues {ie. the satellite tile requested comes back at an inappropriate scale}; the request string going out has in incorrect syntax; and many, many other issues...

In my experience, Google maps, Open Street Maps, Bing maps, and Apple maps all have a robust delivery of tiles; rarely if ever do they fail to deliver a "tile". There are also some very good USGS map served product, but these are largely spatially covering the USA and territories only. Also, there are some good global satellite coverages (Landsat product) covering the planet, however, these can't compete with the unprecedented optical satellite product that Google Maps/Google Earth and Bing maps buys from satellite owners that fly birds like WorldView-2, GeoEye and the European SPOT series of optics...so, IF DJI customers demand the utmost in optical ground imagery (say, 0.4 meter resolution at the ground), DJI is very, very limited as to their satellite high resolution providers, unfortunately ! So, for DJI, obtaining the rights to use Google, or Bing as their "mapping supplier" is purely an economic decision....however(!), I could see DJI itself perhaps contracting a high resolution map tile supplier to exclusively supply their line-up of birds with their own WorldView or GeoEye high resolution tiles (bringing the whole mapping component in-house, rather than outsourcing to Google or others)...doing this, DJI would have a market standing quantum leaps beyond their competition...

Anyhow, I could easily see DJI acquiring Open Street Map tiles as soon as possible, to get over the + controller map issue immediately, until a more permanent solution is conceived.

I have the + and have flown the bird in multiple areas without issue. Please explain to me how the poor rendering of maps effects the ability for this kit to fly safely ? My RTH function seemed to work fine (landing within a couple feet of the home point). In full disclosure I have only used this feature once to test it and the bird was only 1500 feet or so away when I did it (well witting LOS).

Please explain to me how the poor rendering of maps effects the ability for this kit to fly safely ?

.....probably no "safety issue " at all LOL!

However, for those of us who desire spatially correct maps delivered into the + controller (for numerous reasons; too many to elaborate on, some of them commercial, some privacy, some external environmental; etc...), that particular cohort of users would find themselves short a key tool. Its a whole segment of users that will need accurate high resolution maps...but what this segment represents as a ratio of P4P + users? Is an unknown...

...on edit: isn't that "mapping feature" present in the P4P + controller? If it is (rhetorical) it should work most (reliably) of the time...or, remove it from the app.

Reactions: nomorecrashandburn
I agree a promised feature should be useful and fully operational, but I think it should also be understood if it creates any kind of "safety" or performance issue ... it sounds as though it doesn't ? So, hopefully the feature is improved upon, but it sounds as that is only possible by switching back to "google maps" which seems unlikely (specially for the + version user) as this would require that google maps by added to the integrated android device and allowed to run in the background. This sounds like a pretty major firmware change. I can see a lot of + owners purchasing the basic controller in the future !

19d6753a0b8cad1b3c401bf8c148ee0d.jpg

OK....this is just for pilots using the P4P + integrated Android device and controller only (ie. not a stand-alone phone set-up):

Here (now called: Here WeGo) requires any developer (like DJI... as a developer of the Android app DJI Go 4) to obtain an app ID and an app code to be integrated into the app code (DJI of course would have all this built into the DJI Go 4 app installed on their + controller with built-in Android device/screen). Now, apparently Here WeGo has available to app developers numerous map tile themes (base satellite map; administrative labels layer; street tile; line tile; etc, etc, etc, etc....lots of thematic layers to add to the app !). Also, Here WeGo offers map cache FOR SURE...no doubt about that.

We have no way of telling precisely how DJI has implemented the request parameters in Go 4 related to Here WeGo connections (I've included the Here WeGo developer code below, as an example to an app requesting a raster layer like a satellite image tile). I can only assume that some of the satellite image coverage that Here WeGo is serving up is possibly a not high enough resolution to withstand something like a scale of ~~ 1 : 10,000 (this scale number is purely a guess on my part! the scale would depend on the regional satellite or aerial image's maximum "zoom" resolved/resolution scale capability).

So, if we take for example the code below that calls up a satellite (or, aerial image) from the map rendering service that has: in Country x, County y, municipality z, a raster resolution that craps out at anything closer than a scale of 1 : 24,000 (say just for discussion, zoom level 5), and the COL parameter, and ZOOM parameter don't jive with the INFO parameter and the satellite tile renders at 1 : 10,000, then funky stuff like blur can happen (like when you zoom in way too far on a photograph), etc, etc...

https://{1-4}.aerial.maps.cit.api.here.com
/maptile/2.1/basetile/{map id}/{scheme}/{zoom}/{column}/{row}/{size}/{format}
?app_id={YOUR_APP_ID}
&app_code={YOUR_APP_CODE}
&{param}={value}

To me, the fix would happen in the DJI Go 4 app that is loaded onto the that special Android screen device that is the integrated + controller, and would not be a firm-ware tweak.

Anyhow, this is something that only DJI could address in an DJI Go 4 up-date "patch"...

Sorry for being so verbose LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: nomorecrashandburn
The reason i think i need better imagery for the map is that if i were to lose my drone i feel like the map i have would not be able to assist me in getting close if all i have is different shades of green patches on my screen? Is this correct? Im fairly new to this maybe im wrong. p4p+. Thanks silversand for your input.

The reason i think i need better imagery for the map is that if i were to lose my drone i feel like the map i have would not be able to assist me in getting close if all i have is different shades of green patches on my screen? Is this correct? Im fairly new to this maybe im wrong. p4p+. Thanks silversand for your input.
As long as you know the position on the map, and keep the app open, it will also show your location while hotspotting to your phone. Then, it's just a matter of moving closer to the last location. Most importantly, you have your FPV live feed to take a screen shot of where you last had contact with it. The combination has helped me recover my drone on 4 different occasions, without any real map detail in rural areas, on an uninhabited island, at the beach, and even on a military base, with the help of the Duty Captain!

Good info on the thread. Im personally going to download the Litchi app today and give that a try. Not sure
which maps Litchi use, will see how it goes anyway. By the way my Here maps were working again yesterday just fine.
I dont know why but they just started working again??? hummmm. The main reason Im going to Litchi is because its
a much more advanced program that takes advantage of the P3A built in tech in the drone. Mission planning being one
of those features along with many others....Will report back in on this thread when I have used it. Have a good day pilots!
Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart